Suspenders & a Belt?!

Options
Salpica
Salpica Posts: 205 Member
So I have a wedding I am attending this weekend and I also have to bartend for it. I decided to go out today and purchase a new outfit since none of my current dress clothes really fit. I decided with an all black attire but with a bright yellow (or purple) tie.

I found a pair of suspenders and thought that it would be a blast to wear those as well. When I came home I showed my wife and she promptly said, "You can't wear both a belt and suspenders!". She crushed me, more than I think many could come to understand.

I come here asking for your advice MFP. Can I wear both or is my fate to wear one or the other?! PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    sorry, wifey is correct. Choose one or the other, but nobody needs both. That's overdoing your pants-related security measures.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    She's gonna regret it if some woman manages to get your pants off.
  • Salpica
    Options
    She's gonna regret it if some woman manages to get your pants off.

This is worthy enough of sharing with my wife and may let me get my way. I thank you Kiwi!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Depends...going 80's?
  • Salpica
    Options
    I decided with an all black attire but with a bright yellow (or purple) tie.
    Depends...going 80's?

See above.
  • ceyuh
    ceyuh Posts: 34
    Options
    I wear a lot of suits. I like the look of suspenders, but I feel undressed without a belt. I have no idea why it's considered such a fashion no-no to wear both, but until I am sporting a flat belly again it's strictly belts for me.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You CANNOT wear suspenders and a belt. Why would you want to?

Additionally, ONLY wear suspenders if your pants were tailored with the buttons to support suspenders(clips aren't allowed in ties or suspenders).

Also, adjust your suspenders so your pants fall the correct length.

Enjoy your affair.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Put it this way-it is a good thing you have a wife-hahaha!! She is keeping you from your fashion faux pas.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    You CANNOT wear suspenders and a belt. Why would you want to?

Additionally, ONLY wear suspenders if your pants were tailored with the buttons to support suspenders(clips aren't allowed in ties or suspenders).

Also, adjust your suspenders so your pants fall the correct length.

Enjoy your affair.

This. With a bright tie like youre planning - the suspenders might be too much anyways.
  • Salpica
    Options
    All of you have crushed me now :'(
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Would you wear a bow tie AND a neck tie at the same time?
    or slippers over your shoes?
  • Salpica
    Options
    Would you wear a bow tie AND a neck tie at the same time?
    or slippers over your shoes?

But those are things that would overlap one another. Tie's are around your neck, and slippers/shoes are on your feet.

A belt is around your waist and suspenders are on your torso/over the shoulders.

argument_is_invalid.jpg
  • AshjMusik
    AshjMusik Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You could get some thick dark frames & go retro with it ;)
  • Salpica
    Options
    You could get some thick dark frames & go retro with it ;)

I actually do have some glasses that are like that. And yes, I was planning on wearing them.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    You can wear both at the same time ... Lots of people do ... and for various reasons. Some because one helps to hold thier pants up, because one doesn't work better than the other .. they work better when worn together...Others like the look. Whether or not it's the faux pas that everyone talks about depends on how the end result looks, how you feel .. and whether or not you really give a crap about what anyone else thinks.

You have to decide what fits your needs .. and just go with it.

Having said that .. sandals and socks ... a definate no no!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    lmao

OK another cultural thing, suspenders here are ladies underwear....lmao I am sat here giggling. I think you call them a garter belt, they are sexy underwear and what hold up stockings, which I think you call hose but not sure, as hose is a pipe that you water your garden with here...

still laughing about you wanting to wear 'suspenders' lmao :laugh: :laugh:
  • Salpica
    Options
    lmao

OK another cultural thing, suspenders here are ladies underwear....lmao I am sat here giggling. I think you call them a garter belt, they are sexy underwear and what hold up stockings, which I think you call hose but not sure, as hose is a pipe that you water your garden with here...

still laughing about you wanting to wear 'suspenders' lmao :laugh: :laugh:

No, but maybe I'll buy my wife a pair of those "suspenders"

Bumping also for the afternoon crowd to give me their opinion.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I have to agree with your wife. You just can't wear both. :noway:
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Anyone who suggests that you can wear both suspenders and a belt doesn't care for your well-being.

Take this sartorial advice for the wedding party: There will be pictures. Many, many, many pictures. And you're tending bar which means that you are the source of the good time. You're more than likely to end up in a picture or two muddling that mint or leveling shots.

Try on your outfit [minus belt and suspenders] and look in a mirror. Is your shirt darker than your tie? If so, then you *do* look like a total Summer's Eve. Wear a white shirt and have fun with a royal purple bow tie. It's a good autumnal color.

I say skip the suspenders and stick with the belt, but if you really want to splash things up wear a cummerbund that matches your bow tie.

Cheers.
    -wtk
  • Salpica
    Options
    Anyone who suggests that you can wear both suspenders and a belt doesn't care for your well-being.

I really laughed out loud when I read this!