Can you have too much iron?

Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
Since I started doing high protein, my Iron is always in the red at then end of the day. I know usually to little or too much of something is not good, but does too much iron can cause a problem?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Actually, yes. Too much iron is dangerous. Here you go!

http://www.irondisorders.org/too-much-or-too-little-iron
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 373 Member
    How many grams are you getting each day (mg)? Have you had blood work done lately?

I often take an Iron Supplement to give me a boost.
  • Bump! Good question!! Mine is always over but I am anemic so this is a good thing for me.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Acute Iron Toxicity (overdose) is not uncommon, especially in children. This usually occurs because of overuse of vitamins (i.e. combining a daily multivitamin with additional iron supplements).
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Yes, you can have too much iron.

I found this in a google search: http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/FULL/Iron_Too_Much_of_a_Good_Thing.shtml

Look through the internet for more information, talk to your doctor, and make a decision for yourself about supplements/diet containing iron.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    It is possible, although not super common to have problems from only taking in a little over. This may help: http://www.livestrong.com/article/360738-signs-and-symptoms-of-taking-too-much-iron/
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    How many grams are you getting each day (mg)? Have you had blood work done lately?

I often take an Iron Supplement to give me a boost.

Usually around 130mg a day
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    yes, and it can be dangerous. look at what happened to magneto's prison guard.

magneto.jpg
  • It's also especially critical for men to not intake too much iron. Women need the additional amounts from supplements, but based on what I've always heard, men should never take iron in any form of a supplement.

Of course, advice from a licensed doctor is the best!
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    I agree that too much iron could be toxic. It has been suggested that it can increase the risk of heart disease and some cancers, such as colorectal cancer (for more information look up Haemochromatosis).
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    If you are male, yes, if you are female, then not usually. If it's coming from whole food sources and not supplements that I'd say your safe, it's actually very hard for the body to absorb all of the iron listed on your intake, the body isn't efficient at absorbing it on it's own, but usually needs citric fruits/vitamin C rich foods on the side of it to help with absorption. Iron toxicity can put strain on the liver and also affects the heart, can cause lots of problems. But if you are very active, weight lifting, running, working out intensely I wouldn't over think it too much. You actually need a lot of it when you train hard, however if you aren't a serious trainer then I would say slow down on the iron rich foods.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    yes, and it can be dangerous. look at what happened to magneto's prison guard.

That's funny!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    From the research I've done, it also depends on where the iron comes from. I believe it's something like 5-30% of the iron from plant sources is actually absorbed, while most of it from meat sources is absorbed. Other things in the diet also affect how well iron is absorbed-- dairy, vitamin c, etc.

I'm noticing my intake go up well over the recommendation on most days, but almost all of it is from plant sources. I would also go with the suggestion to check with your doctor and get some labs done. I'm thinking I need to do the same. :flowerforyou:
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Too much can be toxic (that is why there are warnings on vitamin bottles). However, too little is also harmful.