Hummus and Cottage Cheese??

Options
I am currently looking in to some new snack ideas. I have never tried cottage cheese or hummus... I am looking for ideas on how to eat them and if there is any suggestions of brands and flavors over others??

Thanks

Tree:wink:

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese, sweetner, and cinnamon.

If I'm feelin crazy, a few raisins and sliced almonds as well.

If you blend it in a shake, it'll give it a cheesecake-type flavor. Use friuit and sweetner as well. It's like a healthy dessert shake.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    I love cottage cheese. You can eat it with pretty much everything. Lots of sodium in it though. And the no salt added... well.. i dont like it.

Hummus is ok
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    hummus with red peppers, orange peppers, yellow peppers, cucumbers! I'm a hummus snob, so I only like the fresh made stuff from my local organic store, but you can get it at most grocery stores or make it yourself if you have a food processor :)
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options

Hummus is ok

take that back
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hummus is good with crackers or with vegetables like carrots, broccoli, etc...anything you can dip into it! You can also put it on pita bread as a sandwich type thing. I like cottage cheese plain with some salt and pepper. I don't care for it, but you can eat it with fruit as well.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Hummus on celery ROCKS! I make my own to cut calories and fat -

1 can chickpeas
    garlic to taste
    1 tsp olive oil
    fresh jalapeno - to taste
    fresh cilatro to taste

blend in food processor till consistancy you want.
  • jenfactor
    jenfactor Posts: 124
    Options
    try a wrap with hummus, feta, cucumbers, spouts and olives! damn I may have to make one now!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I have hummus and some baby carrots. its great to much on.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I love my cottage cheese with some spicy Mrs Dash. Almost like having a hot/soothing feeling, like when you have hot wings and ranch :)

Hummus is a GREAT dip, spread, .... you're possibilities are endless with what you can do with it. I like to use it in place of mayos in my wraps. It wouldn't hurt to try some of the flavors at the store (usually found with the specialty cheeses, near the deli) and see what flavors you like. I love the fire roasted tomato and garlic, and the spicy flavors. I either dip some veggies in them, or I use those pretzel crisps for dipping.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Two awesome healthy spreads! Where do I start on ideas?

Hommus + corn thins
    Hommus + flat bread
    Hommus + veges
    Hommus on sandwiches (with veges?)
    Hommus with ALL OF THE THINGS!

Cottage cheese sandwiches on cheese biscuits (made some with country cheese biscuits last night - cheese on cheese - total cheesegasm!)
    Cottage cheese with pasta
    Cottage cheese + corn thins
    Cottage cheese by itself

I AM HUNGRY NAO!
  • fish119
    fish119 Posts: 67
    Options
    i love cottage and hummus....tho not together! I like pineapple or mandarine oranges on my cottage cheese. You can make a cottage cheese salad, it sounds kind of gross but I think it's really yummy! One large cottage cheese, one large orange sugar free jello,one container of sugar free cool whip and a can of mandarine oranges. Drain the oranges. Mix the cool whip, cottage cheese and orange jello powder together and fold in the oranges. Chill in the fridge for a few hours and enjoy!

I also LOVE garlic lovers hummus with pita chips or pretzels.
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    Love them both! Roasted red pepper hummus is sooooooo yummy, I like it as a smear in place of mayo on a sandwich. Love fruit with my cottage cheese....sliced strawberries, blueberries or sliced peaches. I will also throw some cottage cheese on my salad greens for protein.
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i eat cottage cheese with EVERYTHINGGGG!!! (Or I did, before I went vegan...) But it's delicious mixed in with beans and rice (some people think that sounds funny, but don't knock it til you try it!) More traditional ways of eating it are by mixing in dried fruit or regular fruit--try mixing in sliced pears. So. Good. Don't add S&P, that sounds a little gross :P.

Go for roasted garlic hummus with pita chips, pita bread, crackers, or some kind of crunchy vegetables.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am currently looking in to some new snack ideas. I have never tried cottage cheese or hummus... I am looking for ideas on how to eat them and if there is any suggestions of brands and flavors over others??
    I can't imagine going without either. I love both. Cottage cheese is a great protein source. Experiment. Different brands can taste pretty different. The full fat (4%) cottage is creamier, and with some brands, makes a big difference. There are other brands that I like the lowfat variety. I eat it plain now, but have, in the past, added a lot of things to cottage cheese: sunflower seeds, raisins, fruit. And my favorite, for a creamy night-time snack: tablespoon of strawberry preserves. That is a great snack that isn't crazy high in calories.

Hummus is another good protein source, and usually pretty low in calories. There are all kinds of flavors and different brands. Don't know what part of the world you are in, but Costco has a pretty good hummus brand, but I can't remember the name right now. If you want the really good stuff, go find a Mediterranean deli and get a small sample of what they have.
  • dbecker70
    dbecker70 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hummus on celery ROCKS! I make my own to cut calories and fat -

1 can chickpeas
    garlic to taste
    1 tsp olive oil
    fresh jalapeno - to taste
    fresh cilatro to taste

blend in food processor till consistancy you want.

Thanks for the recepi! I am going to make this.
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sabra brand for hummus is really good. Try the roasted pine nut flavor...delicious!
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is great with a lot of dill.
  • jennistokes
    jennistokes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    try cottage cheese mixed with mango salsa. A bit savory and sweet. SO good. My favorite is the costco Mango salsa with Fiber One cottage cheese!
  • OhYou
    OhYou Posts: 6
    Options
    I love cottage cheese with strawberries for breakfast! I'll use cottage cheese as a side also with pepper on it. Also! Hummus is DELICIOUS! I'll eat it with pita chips/pita bread, carrots, on sandwiches, with cucumbers. Very yummy!
  • OhYou
    OhYou Posts: 6
    Options
    & I also eat the full fat cottage cheese. More protein.