Protein Shakes

Options
This may have already been a topic, forgive me if it is!
But I keep hearing about the benefits of drinking protein shakes in the morning. I'm curious about them because I have always thought they were high calories drinks for athletes.
Are there any low calorie and not horrible tasting shakes that you all have been using?

Thanks!

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold 100% Whey is good for the low calorie and low price. Tastes decent.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    my shakes are made with plain yogurt, 100 grams of frozen raspberries and about an ounce of protein powder (plain, unflavoured, nothing BUT whey protein) sometimes I'll add flax seed or hemp seed or almonds..

I avoid the store bought shakes as all too often the "protein shakes" available to buy around here have as many or more carbs than they have protein in them.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i drink the BSN Syntha=6 protein shake, but it's also a meal replacement. made with water it's 200 cals. i add frozen strawberries. but a shake like myoplex is only 125 cals made with water. dont get the premixed ones, get the powder that you mix yourself. some people mix it with skim milk for some added calories, or almond milk i guess. i just like it with water. i drink a protein shake after my workouts to help my muscles recover. it's not totally necessary, but it's teh easiest way to get the protein and amino acids your body needs right after a workout. if you dont lift weights at all, you dont really need a protein shake. after cardio you would do just as well eating some lean protein and some carbs.

Buy the decent protein shakes at a supplement place or a gym. dont get the ones at walmart such as the biggest loser shakes. too much protein adn sugar in those.
  • Jessicareyes78
    Jessicareyes78 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try shakes from Herbalife...theytaste amazing. www.herbalife.com
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    There are plenty that are high calorie and muscle building for athletes...

There are just as many that are low calorie, low carb, low sugar, high protein for nutrition and NOT gain.
    I easily drink 2-3 a day.... I love them so much they are usually my snack instead of an actual snack -- and often I drink one on the way to work as breakfast.

My favorite protein shake is 24oz: 150 calories, 2g carb, 28g protein, 0g sugar - and counts as 3 cups of fluids for the day.

EDIT: You want to avoid all of the pre-made premixed cra -- most of them are concentrated whey instead of isolate and often have more sugar/carbs than protein --- No one can tell you what flavor/brand to get --- people suggest 3 types in this thread that make me gag --- do some testing :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I have shake with blended ice, 2 scoops of protein powder and a cup of frozen raspberries and strawberries. About 300 kcals
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    this is my challenge this week to have a protein shake after my morning workout - I have t rader joe's soy vanilla something - it's ok but I'm really trying to increase my protein intake..... I add coconut milk (unsweetened) spinach, mixed frozen berries and ice - this usually hold me to about 10 or 11 then I have light snack then 1 for my lunch..... another snack then dinner and usually I may end it with red wine depending on my cals......