Anyone heard of, or tried, this?

Options
There was a nutritionist on Rachael Ray a few days ago who said you could lost 4-9lbs a week, by limiting your sugar to 15 grams a day. I'd LOVE to lost 4-9lbs a week! LOL

Jillian Michaels says to have no more than 1,500 of sodium a day, so I changed my settings to that also.

Has anyone heard of this or tried this?

Replies

• SmallerBecky
    Options
    I hadn't heard of these specific numbers or anything but I know you can't go wrong limiting sugar and sodium! I wasn't sure what number I should be going for, as far as sugar but I had read to stay under 2,300 mg with sodium so that's what mine is set at (not that I have figured out how to stay under that yet but at least it's my goal every day!). But I welcome your suggestion and will try those numbers!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Carbs and sugar are almost the same thing since carbs become sugar in your blood.
    The higher your blood sugar the less likely you are to lose weight, so I guess limiting sugar helps, but its only part of the picture. Replacing the calories with carbs will counter much of the help.

My Dr has me limiting my sodium to that level. You lose water weight, but then loss from that levels off.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    4-9lbs a month seems way more reasonable.

I said it in another thread, I'll say it in this. Women are crazy.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty much sugar free, dont eat more than 1500 cals, work out twice a day 6 days a week and i lose maybe 3 lbs a week on a good day. there's no way that just limiting your sugar by that would lose you 9 lbs a week. in order to lose 9 lbs a week you'd have to create a 31,500 calorie deficit. just cutting your sugar doesn't do that. i'm thinking that she misspoke or you might have misheard and she meant per year. if you cut your cookie intake by two a day you lose 10 lbs in a year. so maybe that's where she was going
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There was a nutritionist on Rachael Ray a few days ago who said you could lost 4-9lbs a week, by limiting your sugar to 15 grams a day. I'd LOVE to lost 4-9lbs a week! LOL

Jillian Michaels says to have no more than 1,500 of sodium a day, so I changed my settings to that also.

a loss of 4-9 lbs a week would imply a caloric deficit of 14,000 - 31,500 cals a week or 2000cals - 4500cals. simply cutting sugar won't produce a loss like that
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I keep my sodium between 1000-1200 on a good - clean day! :wink:
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    That's way too much to lose in a week -- its all water weight.

If you change your setting and up your protein, lower your carbs -- your sugar will go down by default.
    My settings are currently 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat

Salt is the great evil in my opinion --- I lowered mine to 2100 and as soon as I get used to that, I'm going to try and get down to 1500 or less.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

If you weighed 150 that would be 4% or more body weight loss. Maybe for 1 week, but not weekly unless you're obese.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic. I went back to my food diary over the last several days and I am anywhere from 10-22 grams of sugar per day. I also try to limit my sodium to less than 2000/day. I truly believe that eating sugar makes you crave more sugar (no, not a scientific statement - just my opinion). If I really can keep it low over a days time, I really don't crave it. But losing that amount of weight tied to sugar intake, I don't think so. Truly calorie counting is what will work.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    The american heart association and USDA recently lowered their recommendations for intake of sodium to 1500mg per day:

"The current Dietary Guidelines recommendation that individuals consume less than 2,300mg of
    sodium per day is too high. The amount should be changed to the amount recommended in the
    2005 Guidelines for salt sensitive populations, or no more than 1,500mg of sodium per day.
    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the special populations described
    above – individuals with hypertension, African-Americans, middle-age, and older adults – now
    account for 68% of the American population.1 Because these specific population groups now
    constitute a majority of the total population, the 1,500mg should apply to all populations. "

If you fit the above criteria you should aim for 1500, otherwise 2300 is acceptable.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I know, I was shocked. So was Rachael Ray. The guy said, "I tell people 4-9lbs"... And Rachael Ray said, "4-9lbs a what? A week?" And the guy said, "Yes, 4-9lbs a week is what a tell people when cutting their sugars to 15grams a day"

I'm still surprised.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic. I went back to my food diary over the last several days and I am anywhere from 10-22 grams of sugar per day. I also try to limit my sodium to less than 2000/day. I truly believe that eating sugar makes you crave more sugar (no, not a scientific statement - just my opinion). If I really can keep it low over a days time, I really don't crave it. But losing that amount of weight tied to sugar intake, I don't think so. Truly calorie counting is what will work.

Oh yeah, that's the other thing, at the end of his part of the show he said, "Stick to 15 grams a day, and only 6 servings of carbs, and NO CALORIE COUNTING EVERY AGAIN!" I was thinking... If I'm paying that much attention to my grams of sugar, I'm definitely going to be paying attention to my calories! Then again, I guess if you stick to 15 grams of sugar, that's hard enough. I guess it's not much food that fits into it without going over.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    sounds pretty unrealistic!
  • VemmaMom
    VemmaMom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    yes it sounds like Jorge Cruiz Bellyfat Cure. I tried it and yes it def makes alot of sense and you eat everything you have always been told not too and throw all the diet and low fat and low blah blah away. You eat a ton. i lost the first week and thats it but I cant lose much any ways ...Ive messed up my metabolsim by eating to few of cals years ago and now Id just die to lose ten lbs gawd! Anyways check it out..he has a book and its a few pages and then the rest is ideas to eat etc.....keep us posted good luck
  • msfitmom
    msfitmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is simple math. Calories out must be more than calories in. Plain and simple. That's why people who eat nothing but chips or nothing but Subway sandwiches still lose weight. You can lose weight eating nothing BUT sugar if you eat less of it than energy you expend.

If your goal is to lose weight and be healthy, then yes, cutting out sugar and fat will certainly help you but it won't help you if you replace those quantities with other foods. Any diet that says you can and should lose 4-9 pounds a week is hogwash. People on the Biggest Loser lose less than that on some weeks and look what they have to go through to achieve that.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I could breathe in once and get 15grams of sugar! Sodium is no problem, but sugar is everywhere, I have such a hard time saying no to sweets, but it sneaks into other stuff and wastes my allowance before I can get to dessert. Bah!
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options

a loss of 4-9 lbs a week would imply a caloric deficit of 14,000 - 31,500 cals a week or 2000cals - 4500cals. simply cutting sugar won't produce a loss like that
    :heart:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Losing that much per week is never going to be sustainable, but limiting sugar and sodium does seem like a good idea.

Australian recommendations are 1500mg of sodium a day, 2500 seems way too high. I've changed my sodium limit in my goals though to be honest I don't pay too much attention to it. As I cook most of my meals at home and don't eat a lots of processed stuff (except snacks and they tend to have more sugar than salt), it isn't really a problem.

I'm not sure about those sugar numbers - I'm trying to limit processed snacks and get most of my sugar from fruit, milk, veggies etc.

Really though, I think it comes down to eating a varied, not too processed range of foods and just not eating too much!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I don't really watch my sugar at all. But salt is a different story.
    My doc told me 1800 mg sodium and at first it was impossible for me to do...I was more like 3500 - 3800.
    Now I'm consistently between 1800 -2000, mostly by avoiding prepared foods as much as possible. I try to make fresh things like navy bean soup, pea soup, etc and I leave the salt out of the recipe. A crock pot full gives me 8 one cup servings that are pretty healthy. Some people can't eat the same stuff day after day but for me it makes it easier.
    I usually do steel cut oats (Irish oats) for breakfast and at least half the time a homemade salad for lunch. Then with 600 - 800 cals left in my day I can kinda splurge at dinner.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind 2 things. Glucose is the brain's number one (and usually only) source of energy, so while limiting carbs and sugars are good, you don't necessarily cut them out completely.

Also, depending on activity level and exercise levels (basically how much you sweat) the human body needs anywhere from 500-2000 mg of sodium per day. Sodium is certainly not evil, it's required for proper muscle and nerve function, so while you don't want to get too much sodium, you really don't want to go much below the 1,500 mg a day guideline either.

Also, the USDA has not lowered the guideline for sodium to 1500, that's not happening until 2020.