Phentermine?

Options
Has anyone ever tried this, my friend is on them and has lost 11 lbs in 9 days, I have a dr apt wed and was thinking of asking my dr about putting me on them, I have done my research and has read nothing but good reviews about it, thanks!

Replies

• LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    People on here are gonna flame you for this....LOL...you'll get no love for it here...but it will work, you'll drop the weight pretty fast too...the problem it being able to keep the weight off after you stop, b/c the doctor can only prescribe it for 3 months....I say, if you are otherwise healthy, *no heart problems or anything* Try it under your doctor's orders---why not??
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Actually, I thought they banned this stuff about 20 years ago. Please look into it carefully. I had a friend that messed up their heart using diet pills. Actually I should be more specific. It was part of the Phen-Fen combination. I was a paramedic at the time and I picked him up. He will be on cardiac medication for the rest of hiss life. Ultimately, its your decision. But please do more research before you make up you mind.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I used it 2 months as a jumpstart only....
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Gosh! I haven't seen this on the forums in a while. I remember seeing a LOT of forums about it when I first joined here and it was not pretty. I suggest you try searching via the search feature on here.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I actually used Phentermine for a couple of months just to jump start my body because no matter what I was doing I could not drop weight. What they banned was Phen-Fen, a combination of Phentermine and something else. The phentermine, for me, just acted like "duct tape for my brain" and made it so I wasn't hungry. But if you choose to try it, remember it's a short term method to remind your body it's okay to let go of calories...not a magic pill. You still have to learn to eat right and exercise. And BTW - I took it over a year ago, so all the current weight loss is from doing it right.
  • alligatorsmile
    Options
    they banned the "Fen" part of Fen Phen, not the "Phen" (phentermine). As the above poster said, it works ok for about 3 months then it is a matter of keeping it off. You may get flamed for it, but if you have no heart problems, it can help some people jump start their weight loss. Or people can get real dependent on it (a coworker of mine I've watched for the past 2.5 years). Consult your doctor!
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Nobody will "fry you" .. but we will warn you for your own health since You asked..

I was on it for 3 months and started to have chest pain.. I had lost 25 pounds and i ate whatever i wanted... seriously..
    Pizza , ice cream, chili cheese fries.. the works.. etc..

In the long run it damaged my heart valve and the "doctor " got away scot free.. He picked up and moved his practice from Beverly hills to somewhere where he was unknown for this practice..

WARNING: DIET PILLS DONT WORK.. USE COMMON SENSE AND MFP.. it saved my life.. im sure you'll lose what you want here but it takes work.. are you up to making yourself healthy as well as thin?

Think about it seriously.. I cant fix whats happened to me.. but I warn you for your own safety.. Since I know my lifespan has been shortened due to inexperience and an idiot of a so called DOCTOR! :grumble:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    People on here are gonna flame you for this....LOL...you'll get no love for it here...but it will work, you'll drop the weight pretty fast too...the problem it being able to keep the weight off after you stop, b/c the doctor can only prescribe it for 3 months....I say, if you are otherwise healthy, *no heart problems or anything* Try it under your doctor's orders---why not??

True, lots of haters who've never tried any of these diet pills on this site. But yes, unless you learn how to keep your calories at a deficit or maintenance, once you're off the phent, you will gain the weight back. I don't see the problem with using something to help jumpstart your success.
  • cowsere
    Options
    I did this few years ago after twins, gained back all of it. Loved it felt great never hungry. Big downer when it was over. Ultimately a very bad choicefor me.
  • lannahgirl
    lannahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Why would I get flamed I just asked for some insite on it, my friend is taking it and I was thinking of trying it myself, I workout, count calories and everything but NOTHING happens, I have hypothyroidism so it's pretty hard to loose anything, just need a "jump start" getting pretty tired of all the hard work and the scale acts like it's still stuck on the same number no matter what I do!
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it since January and have lost about 52 or 53 lbs. The Dr. tells me to take one or two aday, but I just take a half of one each day. I will take them as long as I can. I know that I have to also count calories and get some excersise also.
  • jennileeb1680
    jennileeb1680 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I tried it right before my wedding - but the stress of wedding planning go to me and i quit - I plan on going to the Dr this week to get back on them to jump start my weight loss - especially before holiday season