heart rate monitor

Options
Grrr, been feeling so frustrated since i got my HRM and it seems the calories I'm burning are so low, compared to MFP averages. For example, today hiking hard uphill for an hour and a half the HRM says 325 cals burned, MFP says the equivlant would be 900 cal and online i searched and got 720 average. Why such disparity?!

Replies

• deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    What was your average heart rate for that amount of time? Usually, working up an incline really gets your heart beating (at least for me). And are you focusing on percentages of max heart rate?
  • wyncote90
    wyncote90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi - Had same issue with my HRM until I made sure to correctly set max heart rate and other parameters. The max heart rate was set via a very strenuous workout and this was different than some of the recommended formulas.
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Don't forget you also have to take out your resting heart rate from the total.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure that your age, sex, and weight are properly saved in your HRM's settings. You might be getting the calculation for the default user on the device which is likely of average height and weight.

Good luck.
  • gunther0013
    gunther0013 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How long have you had the HRM? If you have lost 31 pounds have you updated the HRM with your new weight? Check your HRM settings. It seems off. Maybe reset it and start over.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If the above mentioned doesn't work try changing the battery on your HRM. If the battery is dying then it will not calculate properly. My friend had this happen to her.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I have the same problem with my HRM. Does anyone have the Polar FT7? I can't find where it actually asked me for my resting heart rate or maximum heart rate. Before I got it I was counting my resting heart rate in expectation of needing it, but it doesn't ask and the user manual doesn't mention it. According to the HRM I'm burning barely a third of what the elliptical trainer I use calculates--I also enter weight and age on that machine. Seems a big discrepancy.
  • bakanekonei
    Options
    mine suggests about the same calories, but I wouldnt expect to burn 900 calories in an hour unless the intensity was very high and your heart rate was at least 90%, and even then.

though, I must mention that unless I take my heart rate like every 5 minutes, it bases it on my first check in, which was as I am starting, which was very low.