Bones in chest?

Options
Generally, bones sticking out of your chest would indicate you're underweight...BUT mine have done this since I was 145 pounds at 5'7.5, and are doing it even MORE now that I've lost weight. My BMI isn't even close to underweight. Any other reason? Just my bone structure? It makes people think I'm WAY thinner than I actually am. I don't know how to put a picture on here so I added an example in my pictures.

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    You probably just have a larger ribcage than most.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Your profile is private so I cn't even access your pics:(
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i have this problem....i am shaped like a pear so my thighs are normal but my arms are like sticks!! i hate working on my arms because they make me look way too thin if theyre muscular
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It probably really is just your bone structure. For me, it's always my wrists My mom was looking at me the other day and said oh my goodness, your wrists are just bony! I'm not underweight either though. I think the way we carry our weight is a little different for everyone. I wouldn't worry about it. :)
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    bone structure...I'm similar...except it's always been my hip bones. Even at a much heavier weight than I am now they stuck out.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    side note: your legs look awesome!!
  • runner_girl_120
    Options
    I'll make it my "profile picture" or whatever so everyone can see it for now.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    you may just have a large cage. Everybody is built differently. If you think there is a structural problem - see a dr. But if it is just aesthetics, then you prob just have a larger cage.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to say this for the umpteenth time! EFF THE BMI!! It's a guestimate based on average build and not very accurate for athletes. You are clearly lean and strong- please tell me you aren't losing based on some fictitious number. Or just because you want to see a certain number on the scale... If you haven't already, have your body fat percentage measured. Base your goals off finding a healthy body fat percentage and forget about the bloody BMI.

If the bones protruding bother you- you can focus on heavy weight lifting to increase some lean muscle mass to hide them some.

Cheers!
  • runner_girl_120
    Options
    PS-I just joined this site recently and am in love with how quick I get responses .Thank you all!
  • jmesches
    jmesches Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a physician, and I have to say that I totally agree with the above comments. It is bone structure, muscle mass and yes the BMI ( essentially your weight, as your height is stable)is just a very loose approximation of fitness. Percent body fat is better, but difficult to get accurately. How you feel, your energy level, etc. is much more important.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You could get benching though if you wanted to change your look
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i dont have that, but u can see my ribs on the side even when I am overweight as well.

I think it is just ur bone structure ^^
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i have it and it bothers me. I am quite skinny, but tbh, my ribs show easily anyway. Im really pear shaped so my legs can still be quite chubby but you can see my ribs and my collars are way too obvious. Only solution I guess is to get fat, which i dont really want
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Bone structure. I get it too. And the points of my rib cage stick out as well - just how I'm made :)
  • Kbuck504
    Kbuck504 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to say this for the umpteenth time! EFF THE BMI!! It's a guestimate based on average build and not very accurate for athletes. You are clearly lean and strong- please tell me you aren't losing based on some fictitious number. Or just because you want to see a certain number on the scale... If you haven't already, have your body fat percentage measured. Base your goals off finding a healthy body fat percentage and forget about the bloody BMI.

If the bones protruding bother you- you can focus on heavy weight lifting to increase some lean muscle mass to hide them some.

Cheers!

This.

Also, 145 for being 5'7 1/2", if you are going by BMI is "normal" and in the middle of the BMI range, so you could only be a few lbs from being "underweight" at this point. (which is 119 for your height) Not every person's body carries weight the same way and sometimes being closer to the underweight side is not good for everyone. The BMI chart is just a guide and doesn't take into account muscle mass. You want to lose fat not muscle. Maybe instead of focusing on fat loss focus on building muscle.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I also thought I should mention that even though I wouldn't consider myself to be ultra thin, I look anorexic when I lay on my back because my rib cage sticks way out, and so do my hip bones. Some of us just have larger frames. :-)