Got any tips for a newbie runner to improve my pace?

Options
Hi all! So to give a little background, I've been running since last August & gradually worked my way up to a 5k in April & a 10k last weekend (yay me!). My endurance is great - I ran both of those straight through, no walking - but my pace is slow. I finished my 10k averaging 13:00 min/miles.

Now that the 10k is over, I'm back to running recreationally now, & since I'm not training for anything in particular I'm limiting it to 3 days a week. I plan to do shorter runs T & Th & a longer one on Sundays, & this was the schedule I followed to train for my 10k anyway so it already works for me.

From what I've read the distance run should be at a comfortable pace which is what I was already doing, so my main question is:

How should I structure my 2 weekday runs to help improve my pace? Distance-wise I'd do anywhere from 2-4 miles, All suggestions are welcome! Would love to get down to 10:00 min/miles some day.

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    C25K.com
  • unlockthebox
    unlockthebox Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the Nike+ sports band with foot sensor and polar heart rate monitor
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    The answer may, or may not, lie within my signature. :wink:
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    In long conversations with my brother (a seasoned runner with multiple marathons to his credit including Boston and NYC), pace is really about mechanics of your running. I'd encourage you to do some web searches on natural running form (improving posture and the way in which your feet land is important) and also look up the concept of a fartlek. I started running in July and did my first 5K in August. I was barely doing 10 min miles in early August but pulled a 9:45 pace in my 5K mostly through fartlek work. I've focused on running form (natural running) since then. Ran an 8 mile trail race on Saturday with a 9:27 pace. Feel free to send a friend request if you want to share support with another person wholly committed but still new at running.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    c25k and practice practice practice
  • leopardvice
    Options
    always push yourself
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Great thread - this is something I'm wanting to do now as well, so thank you scschenk & AZTrailRunner for the advice. And good luck, stubbysticks - hope your pace improves (it's similar to mine). Congrats on running 10k - I can do 5 but not ready for 10 yet! :bigsmile:
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Fartleks are great for improving speed, I do one long run (10k) and a 5k run once or twice a week. I found adding in a long run helped to build my endurance. Speedwork is also good- sprinting at intervals and then regular running also helps. Im a sprinter so building endurance was key for me. The links given by aztrail are pretty good, checck the out. Good luck
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    obviously you dont need to start with the Couch to 5 K as you can already run 10k... which is awesome by the way.. but you could try and use the same principles, as in ran faster for 90 secs (really push yoursel) then go back to your comfortable jog for 2 mins etc. each week increase the time you are running faster and shorten your comfortable jog time :D... good for you your are doing awesome ... I ran 10 K for the first time in 2 years the other day and it is not easy at all
  • faithog
    faithog Posts: 76
    Options
    Start by making one of your short weekly runs a speed workout. Fartlek training is wonderful for improving speed! Pick a landmark (tree/ telephone pole/ block/ etc) and run faster than your normal pace to that landmark. Slow to your normal pace, let your breathing return to (or close to) normal and choose another landmark to run to for the duration of your run.

Also something you might consider is focusing on your cross training and core strength. I have recently added more glute strengthening and stretching to my routine workouts and have noticed a difference in my runs... maybe its worth a shot for you too! (Worse comes to worse and it doesn't help your pace... you still have a stronger core!)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I recommend one intervals session and one tempo run mid-week, both after a decent warm-up of course!

Alternate your intervals sessions between: 30 seconds full out and one minute recovery; and 90 seconds very fast with 30 seconds recovery.

Tempo runs are "controlled discomfort" so you'd have difficulty talking. Start with 10 minutes and build up to 30. The aim is this will eventually be close to your race pace.

Don't forget to add variety to your long runs too. Adding in some hills will really make you strong.

And I agree that cross training and strength training will not only improve your speed but also prevent injury.

Good luck, fee free to friend me if you'd like!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Fartkles are great for improving speed....but the biggest thing that I see is the weight (just looking at the picture, I don't know how much you weigh).

As you lose weight you get faster.

For instance.

I only started running in May of this year at 220lbs.
    I was running about 13:00 minute miles like you.
    I did a 3.6 mile trail race in June and a 10k in July, and I was about a 12:15 pace in July.

I'm now down to 173.5, and am running my first 4-5 miles of my long runs less than 9 minutes a mile. And that's really with out trying. You lose weight you get faster.
  • sharanranran
    sharanranran Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Fartkles are great for improving speed....but the biggest thing that I see is the weight (just looking at the picture, I don't know how much you weigh).

As you lose weight you get faster.

For instance.

I only started running in May of this year at 220lbs.
    I was running about 13:00 minute miles like you.
    I did a 3.6 mile trail race in June and a 10k in July, and I was about a 12:15 pace in July.

I'm now down to 173.5, and am running my first 4-5 miles of my long runs less than 9 minutes a mile. And that's really with out trying. You lose weight you get faster.

I've read studies that estimate EACH pound adds 2 seconds per mile to your time. Lose that pound, and you will be 2 seconds faster per mile.... all other things being equal. :wink:
  • martielou
    martielou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm working on my speed too! :)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

I've read studies that estimate EACH pound adds 2 seconds per mile to your time. Lose that pound, and you will be 2 seconds faster per mile.... all other things being equal. :wink:

Hmmm...that's interesting...I felt as I dropped weight I gained speed more than just 2 seconds a mile. That being said I'm 50lbs down, so that's over 1:30 off my time from weight alone I guess.

Also the more you run the more you get faster in general I would think.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! You guys are awesome, I knew I'd get some useful info here.

@AZTrailRunner, I did check out your post on building speed & it makes a lot of sense. Bookmarked!

@scschenk, I've heard of fartleks once before. Good tip on improving my form, I'm going to read up on that too.

@keenslk, great suggestions, I've thought about using the C25K technique for sprints before & just never did it.

@faithog, I haven't been doing any cross-training cardiowise, though I do strength train 5-6 days a week.

@BerryH, I never knew what a tempo run was, thanks for that!

@joehempel/AZ, good to know the continued weight loss will help too. I'm in the 240s right now.

So here's the plan I'll try on for size the next few weeks:
    - Tuesdays I'll do an interval run C25K-style & push my speed during the intervals.
    - Thursdays I'll do a tempo run
    - Sundays will be the long run

I strength train every day except Mondays, usually, & hit a different muscle group each day. I stretch before & after each run - 4 basic stretches to hit the calf, shin, quad & hamstring on each leg, 10-15 seconds per stretch. I think this & the leg workouts are the reason I never have issues with cramps or anything like that.

I'll still have to think about the cross-training. I'm ok with elliptical but I'm not a huge fan of cardio, I just happen to like running a lot. This is plenty to get me started...another factoid about me is that I'm a meticulous planner/tracker, so I'll be tracking my own progress towards that 10 mm goal of mine. I welcome all friend requests from those who might like to check in on me from time to time to see how it's going. :D
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Ok, follow-up question...I don't monitor my heart rate at all when I run, though my Garmin does have a chest strap so I could if I wanted to. Do any of you do this to help you train? If so, how do you do it/what do you do?
  • happymommy40
    Options
    Bump. I am working on this as well. Great ideas!
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bump!