Hooked on Diet Soda!

Options
I've got my crystal light packets that I normally drink throughout the day, I will drink 1 or 2 32oz containers of water during the day, but when the night hits and I get food cravings...I go for a diet soda since it curbs cravings and is 0 calories.

Is having diet soda, once per day....or even 2, going to slow or hurt my work out if it doesnt have any calories?
I know water is my best bet but I want to know from people who have experience with diet sodas. Thanks!

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Drink what you want. Diet soda, regular soda, juice, beer, wine, coffee, tea, it's all liquid, it all hydrates you, and your body for the most part doesn't care about the particulars.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    The aspartame in diet soda used to cause headaches and shortness of breath for me. But the symptoms vary for people, some don't notice anything. But yes, it will provide some hydration, along with chemicals you really don't want. The research will make you never want a diet soda again.

If it works for you now to curb cravings then it may be an okay solution for you now but maybe try to rule it out in the long term.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i've been drinking diet soda since i have started this weight loss journey and was able to lose 40lbs without giving it up :)) I feel like the days i don't drink diet soda, i overeat. For example, this morning i didn't have any diet soda to drink because i was out of it, and i ate 800cal by lunch time!! once i went out and got the diet soda, i barley ate and wasn't all the hungry anymore. SO in conclusion, diet soda actually helps me lose weight. LOL
  • chchchangess
    Options
    bump, I'm also curious about this. I've heard about the negative consequences of artificial sweeteners and was never a big soda drinker, but for some reason I've been craving it like mad for weeks.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I just switched from drinking 1 liter of diet Pepsi a day to only having it on special occasions. It didn't hinder my loss but it left me very bloated. If you enjoy it don't give it up :-)
  • tigersword
    Options
    The aspartame in diet soda used to cause headaches and shortness of breath for me. But the symptoms vary for people, some don't notice anything. But yes, it will provide some hydration, along with chemicals you really don't want. The research will make you never want a diet soda again.

If it works for you now to curb cravings then it may be an okay solution for you now but maybe try to rule it out in the long term.

Actual research doesn't reveal anything outlandish about aspartame. Now, fear mongering research with an agenda and a bunch of horrifying false claims, that's a different story.

Aspartame can lead to different reactions in different people, then again, some people can eat barrels of peanuts, and others can die just from someone else eating a single peanut within 20 feet of them.
  • VemmaMom
    VemmaMom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi! Well here is the real deal. I gotta tell you first tho that I was a diet coke junkie myself and would probably still be if it wasnt so bad for you. Diet soda is one of the worst things one can put in your body. Even tho its zero cals its full of crap and actually causes belly fat. It also makes you bloat and retain water. I think one is not that big of a deal but Id keep it as lil as possible if y ou can. Im glad I quit it but at same time I miss it still. Id drink maybe 2 a day but would open like 3 or 4 and not drink them all LOL>>>>good luck
  • neuro316
    neuro316 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One or two cans of diet soda a day is not going to make a big difference, to either your overall health or your weight loss. If you're really worried you could "wash it down" with a glass of water, but I don't think that's necessary. Even a can of regular soda wouldn't be the end of the world (though actually I prefer diet since I find regular soda too sweet and syrupy).
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    havent given up my diet mt dew and wont...my weight is still coming off, but i also drink more water then 99% of users here. around 4gal per day.
  • mistryB
    mistryB Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet sodas all the time, and it never prevented me from losing weight. However, I have been trying to cut caffeine out and I have started drinking carbonated water. I have found that it fills me up just like soda and curbs cravings. If the diet soda is working for you, I wouldn't worry too much about it (its not like you are drinking it all day!)
  • tigersword
    Options
    Hi! Well here is the real deal. I gotta tell you first tho that I was a diet coke junkie myself and would probably still be if it wasnt so bad for you. Diet soda is one of the worst things one can put in your body. Even tho its zero cals its full of crap and actually causes belly fat. It also makes you bloat and retain water. I think one is not that big of a deal but Id keep it as lil as possible if y ou can. Im glad I quit it but at same time I miss it still. Id drink maybe 2 a day but would open like 3 or 4 and not drink them all LOL>>>>good luck

None of that is actually scientifically proven to be true. Diet soda does NOT cause belly fat, you need calories to create fat. It also doesn't cause water retention.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is one of my only vices. I probably drink 2 a day, and have for years. It has never hindered anything.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

I challenge you to come up with a single *clinical* study, report, trial or article that actually supports any of these claims.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love Diet Pepsi, and I don't think I'll ever give it up. Yes, it has artificial sweeteners, but SO many things do. And it has a lil sodium, but barely enough to talk about. No calories, a little caffeine to start the day, I see nada wrong with it.
  • kassandra81
    Options
    havent given up my diet mt dew and wont...my weight is still coming off, but i also drink more water then 99% of users here. around 4gal per day.

Holy geez!!! 4 gallons of water per day??!! That's crazy! You must be floating! lol
    I drink 5 litres of water, and I thought that was a lot.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Diet soda will not inhibit weight loss. If it keeps you from eating something sweet, it may help.
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    I love my coke 0 and I haven't given it up. I still have lost 57 lbs.
  • kassandra81
    Options
    I was never a big pop drinker, however since all I drink now is water, I thought an occasional diet 7up with dinner would be nice. However, I found that I was bloated afterwards. That still doesn't stop me though, lol. I still enjoy it sometimes.
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    After learning that diet soda was the cause of my migraines and vertigo I had to find a replacement and I had to find it quick!!! Now I have a new addiction "LaCroix" Sparkling water. it is calorie, sodium and sweetener free. It comes in different flavors and the carbonation (at least for me) makes it feel like you are drinking soda!!! I am in love with this stuff. I buy in bulk at Costco.

index.jpg

ps: if you watch the documentary "sweet misery" you will never have artificial sweeteners again : (
  • tigersword
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, exactly how are they flavored if they are sweetener and calorie free?

Also, sweet misery is a heavily biased documentary with an anti-sweetener agenda that is full of misinformation and even some complete lies.