Spinach.. any suggestions?

Hey all!

I'm a college student, and heading home Thursday morning to spend the weekend with my family. In the meantime, I have a ton of perishable items to get rid of (all healthy, no worries!) But I'm stuck on how to finish off my spinach. A salad is the most obvious way, but I have about half a bag left and I don't want to spend two days straight eating salads. Any suggestiosns? =)

Replies

• Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    You'll find that if you saute the spinach with other veggies, omletes, or other cooked dishes that it cooks down. You'd be surprised how much 2 large handfuls cooks down into.... I also use it fresh on sandwiches instead of lettuce, use it as a base to put other foods on instead of rice/pasta. Hope this helps.
  • SMHoff
    SMHoff Posts: 2 Member
    I put mine in a handheld blender and puree it then just use it as the liquid in shakes....I use 3 cups per shake :)
    Know how you feel, I hate wasting foods :(
  • kiwianjel
    kiwianjel Posts: 80 Member
    Hi
    Spinach is great in an omelette or in scrambled eggs ... or fritatta .. hope this is a help
    Rach :)
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    What the previous poster said it totally correct, spinach cooks down to nothing. First off, spinich pasta is great. Another good way to use it is to bake a few small potatoes and then add in the spinach towards the end of the baking process, it's a great way to make a few potatoes go far on your plate, and tastes SO good with some garlic, salt, pepper and a bit of butter :)
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    smoothies :)

add half a banana with anything and the banana hides all the taste from the spinach !

great way to sneak in some extra nutrients :)
  • xneurocentric
    xneurocentric Posts: 44 Member
    I'm assuming you mean fresh spinach?

What I've done a few times is made a simple dinner. I had some grilled chicken, some brown rice, and for the spinach I put it in a pan with some extra virgin olive oil, some garlic, and just let it wilt down (and man, does it wilt down!!) For fun - since I'm not a fan of brown rice - I mixed the spinach and brown rice together and ate it like that. It was a great dinner.

Of course, I love the other suggestions too!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Cook it in with your taco meat.