not understanding????

Options
ok this whole thing confusses me dont quiet understand......2302 CALORIES REMAINING
Goal Food Exercise = Net
2630 1846 - 1518 328

what does that mean???? also it says i can eat 2630 a day but am only eating around 1800 a day and burning between 1000 and 1500 a day.....am i on the right track to lose weight. im way confused by all this. is someone able to look at my reports for the last 2 days and see if im doin this right.....just seems a hell of a lot of caleriors to eat each day

Replies

• xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    The mopre u burn the more u have to eat! :) xxx
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ok this whole thing confusses me dont quiet understand......2302 CALORIES REMAINING
    Goal Food Exercise = Net
    2630 1846 - 1518 328

what does that mean???? also it says i can eat 2630 a day but am only eating around 1800 a day and burning between 1000 and 1500 a day.....am i on the right track to lose weight. im way confused by all this. is someone able to look at my reports for the last 2 days and see if im doin this right.....just seems a hell of a lot of caleriors to eat each day

Ok, I can't see your profile so I'm not sure what you've set your weekly loss to but here's what the current set up says:

you have set your daily goal of intake as 2630 calories.
    you've eaten 1846 calories today.
    you've exercised 1518 calories worth of more food that you could eat if you choose to.

your net is the total number of calories you've had and burned today (calories in - calories out ((1846-1515)) )

so your calories remaining is 2630 - 328 = 2302.

your calories remaining without eating back your exercise calories are 2630 - 1846 = 784.

Eating 1800 a day and exercising 1000 is not terrible, but you may not be getting enough calories to keep your body working right. Really a man shouldn't go under a net calorie intake of about 1500 per day.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Many people will tell you that you should net at least 1200 cals per day, which would mean that you need to eat around another 900 cals. Can't say that that logic really works for me, but you may find if you are doing that much exercise you may find that you lack energy or get tired quickly, so may want to eat more than you are. However, as long as you are eating appropriate foods and are not feeling hungry, I wouldnt recommend forcing yourself to eat more, particularly empty calories just to make the numbers up. Everybody is different, so you just have to keep working at it to find the balance that suits you. You may also find that you don't always want to eat the same cals every day. Some days I am much hungrier than others, irrespective of what I have done that day. Good luck with it!! :drinker:
  • kellie182
    Options
    G'day bear yeah it's still a lil confusing for me to but as I understand the calories r to keep your metabolism up so you keep burning rather than your body saving calories.
    I thought the same thing cause I wasn't eating half as much (probably not half as good either) but I am eating more and on average when I stay on track losing bout 0.5 kg every 1-2 days.

Hope I made some sence lol
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    MFP allows you to eat back your exercise calories. So your goal at the start of the day is the amount you need to eat to lose your goal amount of weight each week (whatever you have that set to, for example to lose 1lb a week). Then the figure listed under food is the amount of calories you have eaten so far that day, and then the amount listed under exercise is what you burned that day so that gets taken away from the amount you have eaten - the 'net' figure then is what you have effectively taken on board in calories for that day - (calories in minus the exercise calories burned) - ideally MFP wants to see that figure be the same as your goal figure, which in your case would indeed be an awful lot of calories to eat each day!

The goal figure of 2630 seems quite high, are you very overweight? Do you have a very active job (if you have your daily standard activity level set at a very high level it will give you more calories to eat each day as a basic level because of that). Remember MFP will have set that figure as your maintenance figure LESS approx 500 cals per day already! Also, you're obviously doing a LOT of exercise in order to claim 1500 calories burned during workouts - how are you calculating this? Do you use a heart rate monitor (suggested by a lot of people to give much more accurate calories burned figures than those claimed on MFP!).

There have been MANY debates on here about whether or not to eat back exercise calories, at the end of the day it all has to come down to what works for you and how quickly you want to see results (how much willpower you have!). Some eat them all back, others never eat any, some eat some of them! It's a case of trying it out and seeing what works for you. However, you should always eat a minimum of probably 1500 calories per day (for you, for some small women the minimum is 1200) no matter what for the sake of your health and getting enough nutrients from your food.

Hope that help!
  • bear19741
    Options
    MFP allows you to eat back your exercise calories. So your goal at the start of the day is the amount you need to eat to lose your goal amount of weight each week (whatever you have that set to, for example to lose 1lb a week). Then the figure listed under food is the amount of calories you have eaten so far that day, and then the amount listed under exercise is what you burned that day so that gets taken away from the amount you have eaten - the 'net' figure then is what you have effectively taken on board in calories for that day - (calories in minus the exercise calories burned) - ideally MFP wants to see that figure be the same as your goal figure, which in your case would indeed be an awful lot of calories to eat each day!

The goal figure of 2630 seems quite high, are you very overweight? Do you have a very active job (if you have your daily standard activity level set at a very high level it will give you more calories to eat each day as a basic level because of that). Remember MFP will have set that figure as your maintenance figure LESS approx 500 cals per day already! Also, you're obviously doing a LOT of exercise in order to claim 1500 calories burned during workouts - how are you calculating this? Do you use a heart rate monitor (suggested by a lot of people to give much more accurate calories burned figures than those claimed on MFP!).

There have been MANY debates on here about whether or not to eat back exercise calories, at the end of the day it all has to come down to what works for you and how quickly you want to see results (how much willpower you have!). Some eat them all back, others never eat any, some eat some of them! It's a case of trying it out and seeing what works for you. However, you should always eat a minimum of probably 1500 calories per day (for you, for some small women the minimum is 1200) no matter what for the sake of your health and getting enough nutrients from your food.

Hope that help!

ok yeah im over weight (thats why im here) i have a very physical job on the move all day (move a tonne of meat from a pallet by hand onto a trolley and into a shop is a everyday thing for me) i ride 20 klm a day everyday 5 days a week (today i did 30 klm) riding to and from work everyday. so im eating 1800 cals a day and burning over 1000 a day .....how much does the body need to fuction right????

i did try another site put in average heart rate and weight and how long i ride for and it came back the same as this site is tellin me......think i just find it hard to work out that eating more cals a day then im burning is what we need to do to lose weight kinda makes no sence........im never tired never have no energy always on the go from 530am till around 10pm everyday and even then takes me half hour to get too sleep. the cal set out for the day 2630 was set by this program because of my weight and height age and all that so thats what it says i should be eating