I'm in a funk . . .

Options
Ok, so here goes - I am successfully running 25 minutes (Week 7 of the C25K). I should be on week 9 right now but I went on vacation and when I got home I found myself to be completely unmotivated. I tried to get right back into it but I felt some pain physically and allowed that to control me. That has been a week and a half ago. I decided this week to pick up the c25k where I left off - week 7. Certainly I can feel it in my legs, but physically I am doing just fine. Mentally - not so much. I don't want to do it. When I woke up this morning, I really just wanted to reset the alarm and go back to bed. It's been like this for over a week now - HELP ME! Do you think I just don't want to run (maybe it's not for me) or am I in some kind of funk? I here that by now I should be experiencing a runner's high. I"m proud of myself for finishing and not giving in to the temptation of quitting but no such runner's high to speak of.

How do you get out of your funk?

Replies

• Radar66
    Radar66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    They tell me that it takes 90 days to start a habit. So my suggestion would be to keep pushing on. And hopefully you will get your mojo back. Because I am sure you will feel so much better. :)
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    I've never experienced a "runner's high". I've been running for 5 years and sometimes I've had to force myself to get out and run. Sometimes I wasn't able to talk myself into it. The good news is you don't get demerits for not running. You just pick it up and go run when you are ready. I've found that having a race scheduled helped motivate me to hit the bricks. I started running with the C25K program and scheduled a 5K at the end (I was beaten by an 7 year old girl) and a half marathon a year after. The running is not a competition. Its a healthy lifestyle change. If you miss a day. . . no big deal. Congratulations for getting out there in the first place.

Good luck,

Mike
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am now in week 9 c25k. I had ups and downs, but still running...

Nobody use to like running... a friend of mine told me: I will run, jog, when I see anybody smiling when they are running.

And he never did it!

For me... for me the fight is not against the clock. Now I am able to run for 30 minutes non-stop. The fight is against myself. My body is tricky so my mind is.

This week I am training everyday, so for me is D1, D1.5, D2, D2.5, and D3. I will rest a day and, in the 7th October, I will try my first 5K run in an event.

The bad news is that event takes part where I live now, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. So we expect around 30-35Celsius and... NO DRINK STOP!! So.. I dunno how will i finish it!

It is always difficult to fight against your mood... but keep doing it. I guess that, after a while, you will break than barrier and you will feel very much better!!!

Have a nice day / Jose D.
  • theberg
    theberg Posts: 80
    Options
    I quit running and bought a bike instead. My knees thank me every day and i enjoy riding sooo much more
  • FeelTheRhythm
    Options
    You are doing an amazing job if you reached week seven and yes, you are a runner! Don't let the unmotivation bring you down and remember that your mind is stronger than your body. It's easier to form a bad habit rather than keeping up with a good one. I have been a culprit when it comes into falling into a funk... Though, it's never a good feeling when I had to start all over again. I have to keep reminding myself to push through when I'm feeling mentally weak because I had to work hard to get where I am at. You will always have a good run and a bad run but every run is worth running! Who knows? You might just be getting bored with your routine so you can always try switching it up.

Also, it varies on the individual but I would experience "runners high" after reaching mile seven or eight. Whenever all my glycogen are depleted and I can't replenish my carbs, my body releases endorphins which means that I can keep running despite exhaustion. In return, I can continue surpassing what I had considered to be my running limit. It comes and goes during my long distance runs but it feels like I am floating with controlled breathing. It's actually relaxing!

I hope you find yourself back in the running game! :)
  • shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Don't give up after 7 weeks! I would love to be that far along. I am debating on whether to do Week 4 day 2 tomorrow because I am still so sore, or take another rest day. I will be so happy if I go ahead and do it! You are so close. At least finish what you started. If you complete the nine weeks and decide you aren't a runner then so be it!

Do it for all of us who are still trying to psych themselves up to complete those 9 weeks!!

Good luck. :happy: