Irish lass really needing motivation

Options
Hi all, I have been using MFP for almost one year now on and off and have lost 19lbs. I currently weigh 185lbs. I play squash four nights a week for a hour and burn approx. 1000cals each time (according to my HRM). My problem is that when i reach the weekend the exercise goes out the window. My diet completely changes and I feel the need to treat myself with all the wrong foods. I don't have a sweet tooth but I really do love savour foods, most of all Chinese and not the good type. I know that if I put my mind to it I can loose more weight and would be more comfortable in my skin. Please help me and feel free to add me as a friend.

Cheers

Replies

• Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi arat123. I'm in Ireland too, I'm about the same weight as you and also have the same issues of doing great through the week and then just ruining it all at the weekend LOL. I'm trying hard to get better at it though. Feel free to add me, we can both help each other :)
  • siobherz
    siobherz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey. i'm exactly the same lol i have iron will on weekdays and at the weekends with my boyfriend i kinda go crazy. i try and balance it out with going for walks and that but what works most for me is to seriously try and resist the first bite of something, because once you start it's alot harder to get back on track that day. plus cooking home made chinese really works for me and it's not as bloating. Best of luck and I'll deff add you as a friend :D x
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

When I tried to lose weight a few years ago, I did exactly the same as you! I would consider the weekend 'void days' and convinced myself whatever I ate on the void days (like you, lovely savory foods, mostly Chinese!) didn't count. It took me a year to lose 2 Stone with running and calorie counting on a pretty much Monday to Friday basis! Then this year I had a baby and gained soooooo much weight (130lbs before getting pregnant, 171lbs at first POST baby weigh in!!)!

I started a diet on 1 August and so far have lost 18lbs - mostly because of MFP as on days that I used to consider 'void' I can find out on here how many calories there are in what I'm eating (if eating out etc) and can still stay within my limit! Also, if I want a chinese/papa johns/3 course restaurant meal at the weekend, I just make sure I cain it on the exercise! For example, my hubby (little devil on my shoulder always suggesting takeaways grrrrr) wanted papa johns on the weekend (1400 calories for half a pizza, which is what I eat - he eats one and a half!!!) so I did my exercise dvd twice that day and gave my dogs an extra walk! So with all that, I only went over my daily calories by 38, which I thought wasn't that bad!!!

It's amazing that you can burn so many calories in one session, so maybe if you can't be super good with food at the weekend, do sessions on the weekend and have a night off exercise during the week when you're still being good with food!

So good luck - don't give up!!
  • siobhanr2
    siobhanr2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same living in Dublin and do brilliantly from Monday to Friday and exercise loads during the week but I do love a drink over the weekend but the guinness isn't the best of low calorie drinks but I feel that if I don't relax on the weekend I won't be able to change my ways on a long term basis, the way I look at it life is too short to be skinny and not being able to show off the body your working hard at to achieve so a little bit of what you fancy with exercise to try and balance it out is how I look at my life long goal
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    This isn't helpful, but I wish I was from Ireland or England so I could say things like "lass" or "I fancy a crisp" and it not sound weird.

I'm from Texas (US). All we get is "y'all."

But anyway, you've come to the right place!! Good luck on your journey, and once you get into the groove of things, you'll wonder how you lived any other way :)