running with weak knees?

Options
Hey all,

recently I have been trying to get into running but finding it really hard as my knees keep stuffing up, really sore and I just can not keep going (this is only on a treadmill) I don't know why this is I have never torn any ligaments/broken bone, etc? Could it just be because I have a lot of weight to carry around?

Does anyone know any ways to strengthen knees?

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor about this.
  • L02201958
    Options
    Yeah, I would see a sports doctor about this. Good luck!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i'll say that having a lot of weight isn't great for it. try cycling. i too was a little too heavy, and didn't like running because my knees felt horrible after only 10 minutes. on a bike, however, i can go further and for longer then i ever could running, without the stress on my joints.

and then one day it was a little too rainy to go for a ride. so i said "to hell with it" and laced up my sneakers and put on a ball cap and went for a run. i figured at least i can go for ten minutes. i went for 30, and did about 2.5 miles. i felt great. i try and do a run every week now.
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    ^^ agree 100%
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I've been able to get rid of my knee pain by strengthening my quad muscles, stretching a lot, and wearing knee braces. As everyone else has said, definitely see a doctor before doing anything, as your problems may be different from mine. But I think it's pretty safe to say that the less weight your knees have to carry the happier they'll be, so I'd take advantage of that extra motivation!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Seeing a Dr. is always helpful. I'd also recommend getting fitted for proper shoes at a local running store...they can make a HUGE difference. If walking is more comfortable for you I'd start with that and maybe add a jog interval when you feel more comfortable. The C25K is a great program. Good stretches are helpful too...google stretches for runners or search active.com.
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said, I would see a doctor just to make sure that nothing is wrong. But I have the same problem with running, I can do it for a few minutes but then my knees and ankles start to hurt. I've always just assumed it's because of my weight putting extra pressure on my joints. I've also found that ellipticals are good too because I don't have to lift my feet, they stay flat the whole time so no pressure from stepping down when running goes on the joints. I think I made that make sense..