Long Strolls or Quick Bursts??

Options
My question is, is it better to do longer walks but at a slower pace or fast walks for a shorter period of time??
Im in my final year of school and and extremely busy every night and dont have much time to exercise, so I have been doing 10/15 minute brisk walks at incline 12, burning about 120/150 calories! I was just wondering would I be better off doing slower longer walks?? Is there any health benefits/do you burn more calories??

Replies

• Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Longer the better.. your body will keep burning up those cals so keep walking for as long as you can!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If you ran a block, walked a block for 20 mins, that'd be great. Far better then a 1 hour long walk or run.

Look up HIIT and how it relates to runs, its basically fast, slow, fast slow...and since you push your body so hard, it can take up to 2 days to recover, ultimately burning waaay more calories in far less time.

Can be done in virtually any cardio routine.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i perfer sustained cardio...not strolls. im addicted to my cardio routine now and feel better then i ever have. i do quick bursts as well...helps me increase my speed and endurance.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. If you want weight/fat loss, you need to burn the highest number of calories, which means picking an intensity you can maintain for a long enough period of time to burn the calories you want.

Really, what you need to do is decide how many calories you want to burn, and then decide whether you like taking your time to get them in, or just getting it over with as quickly as possible. If you have the time, sure take longer strolls. If you're booked for time, or want to improve your cardio, shorter more intense runs are needed.
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and completely understand the getting outside thing. However, Jillian Michaels 30Day Shred video is a 20 minute workout that will kick your butt. It is great for someone with very little time.