Stress Eating >:(

Options
So, my exams are starting in a few days, and I'm doing my final preparations for the various papers. And I'm the kind of person that get stressed easily.

And when I get stressed, I eat. A lot. Non-stop snacking throughout the day, I can't control myself. I feel the need to munch on something constantly to keep me focused while doing revision... And I usually crave for unhealthy things like chocolate or potato chips.

How do I get rid of this habit, and does anybody else do this?

Thank you! :)

Replies

• alaskan_blue
    Options
    I used to do this pretty bad. I wound up using baked pringles and counted out exactly enough to equal a decent amount that wouldn't wreck my diet and made myself eat one every few minutes till they were gone. That lasted about an hour and a half. Maybe something like this will work for you.
  • scoobysnacks90
    Options
    I went through the same thing last term at university just before exams and ended up eating loads of rubbish, getting really off track with my food diary. If you like to pick at food while you study like I do getting things like blueberries and strawberries are good options instead of chocolate x
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, I'm right there with you. I've got two RIDICULOUSLY hard exams on Thursday and I'm interning all day tomorrow and then have more class on top of that. There's simply no time to breathe or sleep, let alone exercise or worry about what I'm eating.

I've decided to try to stay away from junk food... but at the same time, I'm probably not going to make it to the gym until after they're done... in the meantime I'll try to make smart choices, but I won't beat myself up for being over my carb goal.
  • Aria_Fat_Pants
    Options
    Well, i guess I'll try studying at the library...? No food allowed is good, but what I don't really like is the many people. It makes me feel self conscious haha :)
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    well much on grapes, apple, yoguart, dont munch on sweets just makes the scale larger
  • JaneWrastle
    Options
    Prepare - healthier snacks, even something that's a "lesser evil" - and in prepackaged containers/bags, so that you have some idea of the portions. AND - make sure there is NOTHING around that you can grab - anything in a large bag or that you should'nt be eating. Stress snacking - although, i know many of us like that easy hand to mouth action and we like things that are emotionally soothing like fats and sugar - cheese curls, chocolate - does not have to be unhealthy food. if you are going to snack just as a reaction to stress, put carrots in your mouth, it will keep your mouth busy and maybe you eventually won't care that it's a carrot instead of a cookie?

Timing - Once you have one bag try and not indulge in the next til at least a half hour later - so you should keep your eye on the clock - it maybe even be helpful to have a little timer go off every hour and that's when you know you can have your little snack bag (i'd keep it to 100 cals or less per bag) so you might not be so anxious to snack if you know snack time is coming up sooner and that a timer will let you know when so that you don't miss it :)

Substitute the activity- eating is a physical reaction to stress, so sometimes you should substitute with a different physical response. Make yourself do 20 jumping jacks or 10 pushups - this may actually help keep you awake when you've been sitting for hours and it will revitalize your mind with jump in heart rate :)

Drink - tons of water - sure you'll have to pee a lot but you'll need those little "physical" breaks anyway, the more full you are the harder it will be to keep eating.

Chew Gum - i know, it's bad for you. But that's what i have to do at work half the day to stave off the hunger - which i know is partially just psychological - get a couple of packs of different flavors so you don't grow bored

Hot Tea - make hot tea, it helps calm you while you are trying to keep the stress level down, depending on the tea it could have caffeine to keep you going at night or something relaxing for earlier in the day when you are just a ball of frustration and anxiety, plus, it will keep you feeling a bit full

Good luck!
  • dhurford
    Options
    I have the same problem!! I usually pop popcorn in an air popper. I dont add anything to it, so there are no additional calories. I love popcorn and I find that after 5 cups of popped popcorn, which is about 150-200 cals is a much nicer snack then the bag of Mrs Vicky's Salt and Vinegar chips I usually ate. I dont have time to go to the gym, so I tried to limit my food intake. Hopefully this idea will work for you! If you dont have an air popper, you can buy bulk popcorn and pop it in a pot on the stove, with a little but of vegetable oil. Does add some cals, but not enough to make a huge difference, considering my other snack ideas.

Good luck on your finals!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Prepare - healthier snacks, even something that's a "lesser evil" - and in prepackaged containers/bags, so that you have some idea of the portions. AND - make sure there is NOTHING around that you can grab - anything in a large bag or that you should'nt be eating. Stress snacking - although, i know many of us like that easy hand to mouth action and we like things that are emotionally soothing like fats and sugar - cheese curls, chocolate - does not have to be unhealthy food. if you are going to snack just as a reaction to stress, put carrots in your mouth, it will keep your mouth busy and maybe you eventually won't care that it's a carrot instead of a cookie?

Timing - Once you have one bag try and not indulge in the next til at least a half hour later - so you should keep your eye on the clock - it maybe even be helpful to have a little timer go off every hour and that's when you know you can have your little snack bag (i'd keep it to 100 cals or less per bag) so you might not be so anxious to snack if you know snack time is coming up sooner and that a timer will let you know when so that you don't miss it :)

Substitute the activity- eating is a physical reaction to stress, so sometimes you should substitute with a different physical response. Make yourself do 20 jumping jacks or 10 pushups - this may actually help keep you awake when you've been sitting for hours and it will revitalize your mind with jump in heart rate :)

Drink - tons of water - sure you'll have to pee a lot but you'll need those little "physical" breaks anyway, the more full you are the harder it will be to keep eating.

Chew Gum - i know, it's bad for you. But that's what i have to do at work half the day to stave off the hunger - which i know is partially just psychological - get a couple of packs of different flavors so you don't grow bored

Hot Tea - make hot tea, it helps calm you while you are trying to keep the stress level down, depending on the tea it could have caffeine to keep you going at night or something relaxing for earlier in the day when you are just a ball of frustration and anxiety, plus, it will keep you feeling a bit full

Good luck!

All of this. my job is being really stressful at the moment and the cooked food is free. I'm taking stuff for my breaks and eating that instead. It makes me feel so much better when I actually walk past the chips knowing I've not eaten any!
  • AndrewTub
    AndrewTub Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do this when revising I just eat everything in sight ! Maybe add some long exercise sessions in to give you extra calories for snacks. I found exercise to clear my mind and lift my mood which helps a lot !

I found if was too low on energy I just didn't have any motivation and could not concentrate or take anything in ! Kinda of just need the perfect balance, as per usual :/