Do you track sugar?

Options
If you track sugar consumption, what is your daily limit?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    32 for me. And yes, fructose in fruits counts as sugar as it affects your pancreas and insulin and adrenaline stores the same as "processed sugar" as everyone here likes to call sucrose.

Stevia, however, does not. Though it does have carbs. :)
  • Just_Bethy
    Options
    Right now I do not...I track Cals...Proteins...Fats...Fiber..Sodium...Honestly if I add any more numbers I will get fed up and quit...lol
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    32 for me. And yes, fructose in fruits counts as sugar as it affects your pancreas and insulin and adrenaline stores the same as "processed sugar" as everyone here likes to call sucrose.

Oh how I love a woman that can speak nutrition =P
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Fructose has little to no effect on insulin levels!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I do track sugar and go voer jsut about everyday due to fruits and milk. I ahve switched to Smart Milk, almond milk, and even Lactaid to try to keep the numbers down. I am not willing to give up fuit and milk for the rest of my life so I just try to keep it within reason. I'm also a candy junkie so I try to do the sugar free stuff but not always successful. My limit is about 32 but I am usually up in the mid 40's.
  • PBJunkie
    Options

Although fructose produces a very small insulin response, long-term use of fructose nevertheless induces insulin resistance, which eventually results in fructose-induced hypertension. Somewhat surprisingly, the low concentration of insulin released after fructose ingestion also means that there is a low satiety response to fructose.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I do not track sugar, because I have pretty much eliminated most sugar sources from my eating. It was a very gradual thing. I really don't see any point in tracking it when I eat mostly veggies, meats, low-sugar dairy, etc. The number is probably pretty negligible. If I wasn't eating low carb, I'd probably track it, as a typical American diet is higher in thesugar category.
  • krypt5
    Options

Although fructose produces a very small insulin response, long-term use of fructose nevertheless induces insulin resistance, which eventually results in fructose-induced hypertension. Somewhat surprisingly, the low concentration of insulin released after fructose ingestion also means that there is a low satiety response to fructose.

That only applies to someone eating too much.
  • PBJunkie
    Options

The argument was not by the amount of fructose consumed, but whether it does have an effect on insulin response.
  • zevonfangrrrl
    Options
    Doesn't everything have an effect on insulin response? And when is fructose ever consumed by itself...seems misleading to measure the insulin response to "fructose" when what you're really wanting is the insulin response to an apple.
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I do track sugar because I love sweet things. I have changed to almond milk to help offset the high sugar content of the fruit I consume. It's a good thing I prefer veggies over fruit is all I can say because it's hard to stay under the MFP sugar requirement but I am doing it! The only thing I go over on is protein and that's a good thing for the most part!
  • krypt5
    Options

The argument was not by the amount of fructose consumed, but whether it does have an effect on insulin response.

And the answer is simple. Little to none. You are spot on about the effect on satiety as well, which would cause people to consume more. What I dispute is the insulin resistance and eventual fructose-induced hypertension. That largely depends on dosing and context.
  • henry1969
    Options
    can you track sugar on your food diary? what are daily limits on sugar ?
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat anything with added sugar. (Even my ice cream has no added sugar.) It's not part of my healthy lifesyle. So no..., I do not track something I don'y eat a lot of.

btw, If I do eat sugar it mostly from fruits...
  • horizonflight
    Options
    can you track sugar on your food diary? what are daily limits on sugar ?

Henry1969, Yes, just click on the "MY HOME" tab, go to settings all the way to the right and then you should be able to change it there under Diary Settings.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    nope
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing im always waaaay over on sugar!

Doesn't seem to be affecting me, other than making me feel great! :)
  • littlemount
    Options
    I track sugar and I am always having around 80-90 grams daily. I am considering rereading a sugar addicts total recovery program. Anyone have good ideas how to wean oneself off sugar?