Jay's homemade protein flapjack

Options
jayb0ne
jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
Protein bars are hella expensive. Around £1 each at least! So I've made my own for a LOT cheaper.

I've adapted this recipe from one I found on the web so not 100% mine but there ya go.

250g rolled oats
250g peanut butter
130g honey
100g brazil nuts
100g almonds
140g whey powder (I used Matrix Nutrition chocolate flavour because that's what I have)
Splash of skimmed milk if required.

Put the oats, brazil nuts, almonds and whey in the blender and chop to reasonably fine consistency (leaving some nice chunks of nuts in there).
Put the peanut butter and honey in the microwave and blast for about a minute until it's goey and warm.
Mix together with the dry ingredients to make a pastey consistency. Add milk here if required.
Push into a baking tray either lined with parchment paper or just greased with fry light 1 cal spray
Bake at 130 for about 30-40 minutes.
Finished article should be spongey to the touch but firm enough not to break up.

Cut into 15 equal pieces and store for when you need them. If you added milk, store them in the fridge just to be sure...

Each piece contains:

Calories - 314
Carbs - 23g (Mostly low GI from the honey and whole carbs from the oats)
Protein - 14g
Fats - 19 (I know! But trust me, it's almost all good fats from all the nuts)

To reduce the fat content a bit, swap the brazil nuts out for more almonds or swap both out for peanuts or another lower fat nut.

Too calorific? Cut into smaller pieces...

Enjoy!

Jay

Replies

• SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Gonna do this. Thanks.
  • SarahxCheesecake
    Options
    OK this is your fault. I just went and made some using what I had, which was oats, whey, soya milk and honey.....stay tuned....
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome! How big are the servings?
  • SarahxCheesecake
    Options
    .............I burnt it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still eating it tho..:laugh:
  • jayb0ne
    Options
    @asyouseefit - I'll take a picture of the servings later on when I get home and post it in here. I use quite a large pyrex baking dish so my servings are fairly slim but quite wide. You could put them in a smaller dish to make thinner ones though.

@Sarahx - LOL!! Yeah, you need to keep the oven quite low like 130 degrees to stop that happening... ;)

Jay
  • tubbstattsyrup
    tubbstattsyrup Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm just doing a big batch as I like to freeze them for when I'm out and about. I place mine on parchment paper on a shallow tray and cook slowly.

I put in all the seeds like flax seeds, pumpkin etc. Couldn't find any malt so using black treacle.

Thanks again Jay for reminding me about this.
  • jayb0ne
    Options
    Forgot to take the picture last night so here's a picture of the one I've brought to work with me today :)

I've put a pen in the picture for sizing comparison.

IMG_0507.jpg

Cheers

Jay
  • gilltaitt
    Options
    bumping to make later :) sound awesome! :) thanks!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Thank you Jay!
  • SarahxCheesecake
    Options
    Forgot to take the picture last night so here's a picture of the one I've brought to work with me today :)

Cheers

Jay

Can we have pen dimensions pleez? Just to be right like?
  • jayb0ne
    Options

Cheers

Jay

Can we have pen dimensions pleez? Just to be right like?

LOL! my pen is 14cm or 5 and a half inches long.

The exact size of each one isn't so important as it'll depend on the dish you bake them in. It's more about making each one an equal size as the others.

I turned the whole thing out of the dish (easy to do on parchment paper) and cut it into 3rds along the length and into 5 across the width to make 15. You could do 5 lengthways and 3 across though to make them more 'bar' shaped...

Cheers

Jay.
  • msaap
    msaap Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have to try this. I've been trying to lower my sugar intake and most protein bars have to much sugar.
  • jackiemonx
    jackiemonx Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LadyRG
    LadyRG Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GoingInsane
    Options
    Bump for later, thank you
  • rednavel