An emotional/mental victory.

Options
sarahsedai
sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
Two months ago, I decided I was ready for a change. I've had the desire, and even brief motivation to try and lose weight in the past, but my insecurities and negative energy was too much for myself. Two months ago, though, it's like something clicked. I altered my eating habits. I stopped late-night binging. Exactly one month later, I signed up for the gym, and have been rocking it 3-4 times a week since I signed up. That puts me at the two month mark. My energy level is amazing, my anxiety has decreased. I've already seen some progress both on the scale, and on my body.

Last week, I went to the gym Sunday-Wednesday. I'm usually there for about an hour, doing both cardio and strength training. Then, this weekend, between school and work and an unexpected visit from a friend, I didn't go to the gym, and I ate.. well, it wasn't pretty. My biggest problem is late night binging. I'll pick at any and everything in the kitchen, just racking up the calories. It's this very behavior in the past that led me to 'give up' on breaking the habit, and losing the weight. I would begin telling myself.. "what's the point..." "it will take too long to lose the weight" "Its not really so bad..I'm comfortable at this weight." ( really?!! but yes, I'd make lots of excuses. ) And just go back to my same routine of no exercise and certainly no control over what I was putting into my body. Last night, I was prepared to start punishing myself.

But this time, something was different.
I forgave myself. I slipped up. It's okay. I'm not perfect. Most importantly, I can make this right.
I went for a long walk, then came home and hopped on MFP and filled myself with the joy of seeing how other people were able to achieve their goals.

I'm still a little frustrated with myself for lapsing back into that behavior where I feel like I have no control over my actions, but there was a silver lining. By getting through it, and starting fresh this beautiful morning, I know that ultimately, I do have the control, and I'm going to hang onto it.

Replies

• peperley
    peperley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    well done!! i do the same thing myself, regularly, and it's those out of control feelings that i hate most about being overweight/my eating habits.

i am on a looong road to righting the wrongs which have become second nature to me but am determined i'll get there and your post is so helpful to realise i'm not alone and that we can do it! well done you, and thanks :)
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    So proud of you!!! You had a slip-up, yes. But you haven't let it discourage you, which is so great! With this attitude you will definitely reach your goal :)
  • borgi77
    borgi77 Posts: 61
    Options
    Well done, the main thing as you said is don't beat yourself up about as it is life. We can not achieve perfect results all the time and that pressure we all place on ourselves does us no favours! Well done on your VICTORY!!!
  • strawberryshortbread
    Options
    Excellent advice, i always say don't let a bad day turn into a bad week!

Well done for breaking the cycle and long may it continue! :flowerforyou:
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Being able to forgive yourself and move on is so important. I'm learning we all slip up, but if we don't let it ruin our hard work it's alright. You've got the right attitude.
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent way to look at it. You can do this and yes you will fail at times, but just always get up dust yourself off and get back on track. Just remember you are worth all of the effort.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Great job! I know several people who have gone through rehab for serious substance abuse. One thing that's a common message is relapse does not mean you've failed. Even having a longer tme between relapses and/or shorter periods of relapse is still progress. Learning to recognize why one relapsed and how to prevent is part of the struggle as well.

It sounds as if you've recognized that one mistake doesn't equal permanent failure and you're recognizing why you do it. Excellent work and insight!
  • helen0241
    Options
    You are right!!!!! We all fall the secret is getting back up .you can do this . wou are worth it you go girl!!!!!
  • minimommy1
    minimommy1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As I see it you succeeded because you changed part of that bad habit. You did not give up completely. You stopped yourself in midstep --that is not easy to do so I applaud you for that. Instead of seeing what you did wrong see the success in it.
    You were able to stop yourself and turn it around - YAY! - way to go. That is the first step to living a healthy lifestyle.
    I know you will do this one step at a time.
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bravo!!!!! By forgiving yourself means that you are definitely in control!!! So many times I have done the same thing...only to realize that I was my own worst enemy....and like you, I forgave myself and yes MFP has been a great help!!! You are in the right path!!! You can do it!!!!!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    But this time, something was different.
    I forgave myself. I slipped up. It's okay. I'm not perfect. Most importantly, I can make this right.
    I went for a long walk, then came home and hopped on MFP and filled myself with the joy of seeing how other people were able to achieve their goals.

Beautiful! A lot of us really struggle to get to this point, so I really envy your ability to do this. I think you're on the path to getting where you want to be and you should be very proud of yourself for gaining a positive mindset about yourself.

Shannon
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!