Net Calorie Question

Options
So, the whole calorie thing confuses me enough but - according to MFP - I should be getting about 1,380 a day to reach my weight loss goals sans exercise. Now, I run/walk daily for a burn of around 300 cals + 30 mins of yoga for another 100 cal burn. I'm burning - as a result - at least 400 cals every day. When I eat my 1,380 calorie goal and work out...that bring me to a net of 900 cals. I know I shouldn't be going under 1,200 cals BUT is that intake from food or net? If it's net, how am I supposed to lose weight if I only have a 500 cal a day debt (I should be getting basal 2,200 cals a day). Help!

Replies

• Logicalpoots
    Options
    Okay, if your basal calorie level is 2,200 this means to lose one pound a week you should be eating 500 calories less, or 1,700 calories a day, not including the 400 from exercise. You should eat 2,100 calories a day every day you exercise, and 1,700 if you do no exercise at all. 1,380 calories (not sure where this number comes from) is way too low, and will probably slow your efforts, especially if you're burning 400 calories a day, putting you at a net of 980. This is WAY below the safe level of 1,200 most would recommend. Having said all that, I'm no expert, so take everything I've said with a grain of salt, a spoonful of sugar, and a large dose of rum-punch flavored medicine. Good luck! : )
  • awkwwward
    Options
    Hi Logicalpoints,

1,380 is what MFP has my daily calorie intake without working out (before I've "earned" anything) as. So...the 1,200 rule is net not intake then?
  • losinit_4_good
    losinit_4_good Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I've researched this question extensively online as well as spoken to my dr about it. While I'm not expert, I'm willing to share what I've learned.

MFP calculates your calorie goal based on the data you input as far as your current stats (weight, age, height, sex etc) as well as your lifestyle and goal. It will automatically calculate a deficit based on your goals to help you lose weight with or without exercise. Here's the tricky part: MFP is a dummy tool meaning that if you tell it you want to lose 5lbs a week it will automatically calculate the calorie goal for you to achieve that even if it is not healthy. So you have to take what it says with a grain of salt.

As for the other part of your question...Exercise calories: to eat or not to eat? Totally up to you! Everyone has an opinion on this issue but at the end of the day there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer per se. If you don't eat your exercise calories back you will run a higher calorie deficit which can help you lose weight faster. Be aware tho that if you are doing this at the expense of satisfying your hunger than it may not be a long term solution. If you do eat them back then I would suggest wearing a heat rate monitor so that you know for sure how many calories you are buring. MFP has a wonderful database but it tends to overestimate the burn for a lot of exercises. You want to make sure you are not inadvertantly overeating due to miscalculation.

Basically, try it out. Find what works for you. Personally, MFP tells me to eat 1230 calories a day. I find (and my dr confirmed this for me) that I function better and lose weight with more consistentsy if I eat closer to 1400 calories a day. So I manually reset my calorie goal. As for my exercise calories, most days I do not eat them back. However, if there is a day where I am really hungry or it's a special occasion I feel no guilt or remorse if I do eat them back. I just try to stay very aware that I do not overestimate exercise output and that I do not underestimate calorie intake. If you monitor your intake/output carefully you will find the numbers that work best for you.

I hope this helps. Feel free to friend me or send me a private message if there is anything I can do to help you in your journey. We are all in this together! :flowerforyou:
  • musicmaestro25
    musicmaestro25 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay, if your basal calorie level is 2,200 this means to lose one pound a week you should be eating 500 calories less, or 1,700 calories a day, not including the 400 from exercise. You should eat 2,100 calories a day every day you exercise, and 1,700 if you do no exercise at all. 1,380 calories (not sure where this number comes from) is way too low, and will probably slow your efforts, especially if you're burning 400 calories a day, putting you at a net of 980. This is WAY below the safe level of 1,200 most would recommend. Having said all that, I'm no expert, so take everything I've said with a grain of salt, a spoonful of sugar, and a large dose of rum-punch flavored medicine. Good luck! : )

So, according to that in order for me to lose any weight, on days i dont exercise my calorie intake should be 900? (My basal calorie level is 1400) Surely this is too low?
  • Erin_1981
    Erin_1981 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've researched this question extensively online as well as spoken to my dr about it. While I'm not expert, I'm willing to share what I've learned.

MFP calculates your calorie goal based on the data you input as far as your current stats (weight, age, height, sex etc) as well as your lifestyle and goal. It will automatically calculate a deficit based on your goals to help you lose weight with or without exercise. Here's the tricky part: MFP is a dummy tool meaning that if you tell it you want to lose 5lbs a week it will automatically calculate the calorie goal for you to achieve that even if it is not healthy. So you have to take what it says with a grain of salt.

As for the other part of your question...Exercise calories: to eat or not to eat? Totally up to you! Everyone has an opinion on this issue but at the end of the day there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer per se. If you don't eat your exercise calories back you will run a higher calorie deficit which can help you lose weight faster. Be aware tho that if you are doing this at the expense of satisfying your hunger than it may not be a long term solution. If you do eat them back then I would suggest wearing a heat rate monitor so that you know for sure how many calories you are buring. MFP has a wonderful database but it tends to overestimate the burn for a lot of exercises. You want to make sure you are not inadvertantly overeating due to miscalculation.

Basically, try it out. Find what works for you. Personally, MFP tells me to eat 1230 calories a day. I find (and my dr confirmed this for me) that I function better and lose weight with more consistentsy if I eat closer to 1400 calories a day. So I manually reset my calorie goal. As for my exercise calories, most days I do not eat them back. However, if there is a day where I am really hungry or it's a special occasion I feel no guilt or remorse if I do eat them back. I just try to stay very aware that I do not overestimate exercise output and that I do not underestimate calorie intake. If you monitor your intake/output carefully you will find the numbers that work best for you.

I hope this helps. Feel free to friend me or send me a private message if there is anything I can do to help you in your journey. We are all in this together! :flowerforyou:

What a great response! This is so clear and concise and I love that you went to your medical professional fro clarification. Keep up the great work!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options

So, according to that in order for me to lose any weight, on days i dont exercise my calorie intake should be 900? (My basal calorie level is 1400) Surely this is too low?

No. On days you don't exercise your daily goal should be the 1700 Logicalpoots said. That's going on 2200 being your maintenance calories and taking into account that mfp already gives you a 500 calorie daily deficit as your goal. So, when you *do* exercise, try to to eat those 300/400/whatever calories back because if you don't you'll end up netting less than what mfp tells you you should be eating in the first place.

Don't worry about the 1400 bmr for now. You're getting your deficit from your total calories burned per day, not calories you'd burn if you were in a coma.

So calories consumed - exercise = daily goal

For instance, to make things easier, let's say your daily goal is 1500 calories. That's already taking into account a 500 daily calorie deficit to lose 1 lb a week (meaning you'd have to eat 2000 calories to maintain your weight). You exercise off 500 calories which leaves your body working on 1000 calories. Is that your goal? Nope! 1500 calories is. So go find something nutritious eat.
  • musicmaestro25
    musicmaestro25 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that response. That's helped clear a few things up. :-)