REALLY??????

Options
I have a friend on facebook that posted he burned 1750 cal doing 1hour and 50 minutes of strength training???????,,,,,,,How is this possible

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Is he really big? REALLY REALLY big?
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    Sounds too good to be true.
    I have yet to find a non steriod user that can gym all out for 2 hours.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Not real big,but big.I just know that my top burn is 1200 and it includes cardio and lifting and takes me 2 hours to do and sooooo much effort.I dont do it very often.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Why don't you ask your friend?
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I buy it.

According to my HRM, I can easily burn 300kcal doing around 35 minutes of strength work (mostly classic composite lifts using an Olympic bar and some supporting work), and I don't even lift that heavy. If you put your all into it, strength work burns a lot, and the more developed your muscles are, the more it burns (and the more you can lift).

As someone else noted, though, 2 hours is a hell of a long time to spend lifting.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I do 2 hours of vigorous mountain biking and burn 1500 calories. I suppose it's possible. Was this person wearing a HRM? How do they know they did that much?? Congratulate them and tell them they are allowed to go eat a pizza now! A whole pizza!
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes I can see where mountain biking would burn that much,Im just not convinced that lifting would give you that much.He said that he lifted so much that his nose started to bleed and was proud of that.How is that good for you?And if your lifting that much wouldn't you exhaust your muscles long before you hit 1700 cals
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Why someone spends 2 hours in the gym strength training is beyond me. I know juicers that don't spend that much time in the gym.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    On a good leg day I can push out 950 calories in 50 mins. Perhaps, if I have enough left to do another 50 mins of Back I could hit this mark.
    I can tell you from experience I have done this
    1st Hour Legs, all compound lifting (HR maxed out at 189)
    2nd Hour Cardio, Step Mill (Constant HR at 145)
    Net result 1890 calories (1080 from lifting)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    Sounds too good to be true.
    I have yet to find a non steriod user that can gym all out for 2 hours.
    Well there are some on meth and crank that can do it!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I buy it.

According to my HRM, I can easily burn 300kcal doing around 35 minutes of strength work (mostly classic composite lifts using an Olympic bar and some supporting work), and I don't even lift that heavy. If you put your all into it, strength work burns a lot, and the more developed your muscles are, the more it burns (and the more you can lift).

As someone else noted, though, 2 hours is a hell of a long time to spend lifting.
    An HRM is NOT an accurate indicator of how many calories you've burned during weight training. I could watch a scary movie and my heart rate would go up............does that mean I burned as much as something physical with the same heart rate? No.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    On a good leg day I can push out 950 calories in 50 mins. Perhaps, if I have enough left to do another 50 mins of Back I could hit this mark.
    Again an HRM is not a good indicator of how many calories you've burned lifting.
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    I buy it.

An HRM is NOT an accurate indicator of how many calories you've burned during weight training. I could watch a scary movie and my heart rate would go up............does that mean I burned as much as something physical with the same heart rate? No.

ROFL but very true.
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I buy it.

I've heard people say that about a HRM before and while that may be true, what other way is there to get any kind of estimate at all about how many calories you burn while working out? Counting calories isn't a completely accurate science either, but it's the best we've got....wouldn't you say that, while not 100% accurate, a HRM is the best tool for an estimated number of calories burned during an activity? Or am I missing something better out there that has pinpoint accuracy?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Is he on here? When i log in more than one workout a day MFP picks one to display and then adds up all the calories in the post. He may have been running too.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Wait wait...are you telling me that my horror movie weight loss plan doesn't work? I've been offsetting my horror movie calories with popcorn 8(
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Again an HRM is not a good indicator of how many calories you've burned lifting.

Explain to me how something strapped to your wrist or chest monitoring your heart rate the whole time you are strength training isn't going to be pretty accurate at figuring out calories burned, but it is accurate when you're doing cardio?
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Here we go again.
    It's not 100 percent accurate as to the exact about of calories burned during lifting, and I understand that. But in lieu of calculating my lifting as 0 calories burned as might be suggested by some. I would rather use a number and I also can further calculate (but don't have to because my HRM does it for me when I select strength training) that about 3/4 of the calories burned on the display are in fact burned.

Give me something to work with here....

....and the bodybugg confirmed the HRM data.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have found that logging personal burn rates is very objective and with a lot of opinion. Not saying he didn't because I wasnt there to see his routine, but a moderate to heavy lift day for me burns about 450-600 for the hour. It is possible, but I am not sure...

I would, however, like to see what his routine is. Maybe I need to adjust mine.