Running at 5:30 AM

Options
I am so mad at myself. All packed and ready to go to the gym at 5:30 AM so I can actually get my run in/workouts done the last two mornings. And the last two mornings I can't leave because I took my contacts out too late since its the clear care solution that can destroy your eyes if it doesn't have a chance to set for 6 hours. My glasses disappeared a couple months ago and I honestly cannot afford to spend over a hundred dollars right now for a new pair, so all I have is the contacts. Other problem? No reflective gear and it's pitch black in my neighborhood...I don't exactly feel safe running alone right now. Only thing I can hope is to finish my paper NOW so I can go running in between work and class!! Any other female runners have the same issue where the only time they can run is the AM and sometimes miss it due to silly mistakes or fear of running alone in the dark? I am really getting frustrated as my schedule now consisting of two jobs and school work means I really should work out in the morning and I am here ready to go but I feel stuck since it makes me nervous to run alone in the dark!

Replies

• sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Options
    I don't run in the morning because of that. But I run around 5pm so soon I will be running into the same problem. I'd just wear bright clothes for now like white tshirts etc. And bring a whistle, and maybe a can of bug spray (renders attackers blind and can spray pretty far). Or just enlist a friend or maybe find somebody at your local gym.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have plans in line for a running friend, but I guess I'm more so frustrated with myself for forgetting to take out my contacts early enough. My eye sight is terrible so me driving to the gym would be a huge risk. ::sigh:: I love running enough that not doing it is giving me a huge pit in my stomach today!
  • semhe
    semhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    you can buy temporary glasses at most drug stores for 5 bucks, theyre crap but good enough to work out in and you can buy reflective gear in the halloween section of any dollar store.... you may look silly, but you wont feel guilty
  • helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have to run early because my husband gets home too late from work to stay with my kids in the evening, so my only option is morning. I have to go before the sun comes up to get in my mileage before work. I wear a flashing read light on my arm & stay pretty much in my neighborhood. I know it's not the safest thing in the world, but you do what you gotta do. I was messing up my runs because I would sleep through my alarm. I got a different alarm clock & that seems to do the trick. Good luck!
  • sufikitkat
    Options
    you can buy temporary glasses at most drug stores for 5 bucks, theyre crap but good enough to work out in and you can buy reflective gear in the halloween section of any dollar store.... you may look silly, but you wont feel guilty

My eyesight is horrible without contacts so a cheap pair definitely would not help me get to the gym driving unfortunately :-(
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I am so mad at myself. All packed and ready to go to the gym at 5:30 AM so I can actually get my run in/workouts done the last two mornings. And the last two mornings I can't leave because I took my contacts out too late since its the clear care solution that can destroy your eyes if it doesn't have a chance to set for 6 hours. My glasses disappeared a couple months ago and I honestly cannot afford to spend over a hundred dollars right now for a new pair, so all I have is the contacts.

I use the same brand of solution. I also hate glasses when I workout with my face getting all sweaty. I can't concetrate because I need to adjust my glasses every 2 mins or they will slip and fall off my face. The way I resolved it was by having a 2nd pair of contacts. That way if 6 hrs hasn't passed, I have another container with a 2nd pair ready to go.
  • mrsmac69
    Options
    I've been running at 5:30 am twice a week for over a year now. It's definitely not fun, especially when it gets cold. I've found that laying out my clothes and leaving them in the bathroom gets me up and out without waking everyone up (on especially cold nights I sleep in my sports bra). I run mostly on main streets that have streetlights and sidewalks so I don't worry too much about being visible. For those spots that are a bit darker, I have a headlamp and a small flashlight that I can slip up my sleeve (it's totally flat).

The best part of the early am run is that my workout is done and out of the way and I have all day to enjoy those extra calories!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I am so mad at myself. All packed and ready to go to the gym at 5:30 AM so I can actually get my run in/workouts done the last two mornings. And the last two mornings I can't leave because I took my contacts out too late since its the clear care solution that can destroy your eyes if it doesn't have a chance to set for 6 hours. My glasses disappeared a couple months ago and I honestly cannot afford to spend over a hundred dollars right now for a new pair, so all I have is the contacts. Other problem? No reflective gear and it's pitch black in my neighborhood...I don't exactly feel safe running alone right now. Only thing I can hope is to finish my paper NOW so I can go running in between work and class!! Any other female runners have the same issue where the only time they can run is the AM and sometimes miss it due to silly mistakes or fear of running alone in the dark? I am really getting frustrated as my schedule now consisting of two jobs and school work means I really should work out in the morning and I am here ready to go but I feel stuck since it makes me nervous to run alone in the dark!

I take my contacts out at 7, I know that leaves you blind, but that's my solution. You know what time the alarms going off, you gotta get those bad boys in the case at least 6 hours ahead (and if that **** don't burn I don't know what does). As far as reflective clothing, just buy a thing of reflective tape if you can't afford a running jacket (gap body has bright yellow shorts on sale for 10), put it on your back, front, and shoes. I am afraid of running in the dark, so I don't, but I know that plenty of people do.
  • jalysons
    jalysons Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am an AM runner and have been for years. I have trained for long races at this time an have gotten into the contact scenario too. (can't even see clock next to bed without contacts/glasses).

For the contacts I keep a bottle of the Renu cleaner on hand for nights I do not get my contacts out on time. The Drs. like the other ones but all agree the Renu is fine in a pitch.

As for reflective gear I try to wear ligher colors and then wear a vest and headlamp. I have some friends I meet up with, but today for example I tacked on an extra 20 minutes before I met up with her. Now that I have the headlamp I feel safer.

Good luck
  • sufikitkat
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions and for letting me vent my frustrations :-) I don't know what I would do without the MFP community!!
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am an early morning runner too. I am out the door by 5am, 4:45 on a good day.
    It will get easier!
    Set your clothes out - everything. Grab it on your way to the bathroom to pee.
    I run in the road (in a city tho), I feel safer than on sidewalks. Walmart sells a reflective vest for about $6 - get one! There are more expensive ones at running stores too, but the Walmart one works just fine. They also sell headlamps, I think I saw one for about $5 the other day. Also, carry a can of pepper spray/mace if your state allows.
    Good luck!
  • sufikitkat
    Options
    I am an early morning runner too. I am out the door by 5am, 4:45 on a good day.
    It will get easier!
    Set your clothes out - everything. Grab it on your way to the bathroom to pee.
    I run in the road (in a city tho), I feel safer than on sidewalks. Walmart sells a reflective vest for about $6 - get one! There are more expensive ones at running stores too, but the Walmart one works just fine. They also sell headlamps, I think I saw one for about $5 the other day. Also, carry a can of pepper spray/mace if your state allows.
    Good luck!

Oh yeah...I was ready except for my contacts...come to find out my case is old which is why the solution wasn't settled in 6 hours. So I guess not my fault after all :-) I am so blind it's ridiculous so doing anything without my contacts is bad news bears and I lost my glasses recently and am waiting to afford new ones. I am anti-WalMart but I appreciate the suggestion! I'm sure I can make one for even cheaper with a shirt and reflective tape :-) Pepper Spray is illegal to carry in NYS...but I used to have it in college for safety purposes so I am going to look into getting it again somehow.