Issue--I bulk up easily, lose fat slowly

Options
Hello, hello.

As you can all see from my weight-loss ticker, I've lost nada as far as weight goes. My stomach is somewhat flatter (due to cutting out a lot of caffiene/pop) and I can see/feel my quads are growing stronger too. However, I've run into a small but frustrating problem--my butt is getting bigger and so are my legs. I want to SHRINK not grow. I realize that eventually the fat will come off and that building muscle is good, but I need to shrink my thighs and butt, not grow them.

I tend to bulk up easily (like Bob says in BL dvd, I work like a man, sweat like a man. . . apparently, I gain muscle quickly like a man, too!). Have any other females had this problem? Cardio without the calisthethic (sorry, bad speller here) and body weight exercises doesn't really do much for me--I don't have access to a gym, so I do a lot of home videos.

My main video is the Biggest Loser Cardio Max bootcamp, which involves using light handweights for 20 minutes. I also speed walk pushing a stroller with 30 lbs of kiddo in it 2-3 times a week, approxmately 3 miles at a time. I downloaded a couch to 5k program and will start interval training for that (run 1 minute, walk 2, etc) this weekend.

Does anyone have any other cardio suggestions for me that don't require equipment that work up a good sweat? And by good sweat, I mean, poring from my knees sweating. I also have Tae-Bo, Denise Austin, Dancing with the Stars and Dirty Dancing workout videos. Maybe I shoudl dig out Tae-Bo? Denise and the dancing ones don't really work up much of a sweat.

What else can I do to shed the fat a little faster? I know slow and steady wins the race, but it'd be nice to "jumpstart" myself so I don't get discouraged. I will continue to work my muscles, of course. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• AmyLou9903
    Options
    Hello, hello.

As you can all see from my weight-loss ticker, I've lost nada as far as weight goes. My stomach is somewhat flatter (due to cutting out a lot of caffiene/pop) and I can see/feel my quads are growing stronger too. However, I've run into a small but frustrating problem--my butt is getting bigger and so are my legs. I want to SHRINK not grow. I realize that eventually the fat will come off and that building muscle is good, but I need to shrink my thighs and butt, not grow them.

I tend to bulk up easily (like Bob says in BL dvd, I work like a man, sweat like a man. . . apparently, I gain muscle quickly like a man, too!). Have any other females had this problem? Cardio without the calisthethic (sorry, bad speller here) and body weight exercises doesn't really do much for me--I don't have access to a gym, so I do a lot of home videos.

My main video is the Biggest Loser Cardio Max bootcamp, which involves using light handweights for 20 minutes. I also speed walk pushing a stroller with 30 lbs of kiddo in it 2-3 times a week, approxmately 3 miles at a time. I downloaded a couch to 5k program and will start interval training for that (run 1 minute, walk 2, etc) this weekend.

Does anyone have any other cardio suggestions for me that don't require equipment that work up a good sweat? And by good sweat, I mean, poring from my knees sweating. I also have Tae-Bo, Denise Austin, Dancing with the Stars and Dirty Dancing workout videos. Maybe I shoudl dig out Tae-Bo? Denise and the dancing ones don't really work up much of a sweat.

What else can I do to shed the fat a little faster? I know slow and steady wins the race, but it'd be nice to "jumpstart" myself so I don't get discouraged. I will continue to work my muscles, of course. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yes this is happening to me now, my weight is at a stand still kinda I gained 2 lbs of muscle. Im toning up good, ive gained on my hips and thighs from doing squats. Im okay with it I just wish this stomach would go away!:grumble:
  • letiamae
    letiamae Posts: 23
    Options
    I just wanted you to know that I did the couch to 5K program and completed my first 5K a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm on to training for the 10K. It was a great program and I have really enjoyed it!!

It sounds like you are already pretty fit. If you find that the couch to 5K program is too easy, I would recommend "Run Your First Marathon" by Grete Waitz. She really breaks it down for you and completing each week of the program really gives me a sense of accomplishment.

Good luck and have fun! :)