Bacon

Options

Replies

• justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I like soy bacon. It looks like fake bacon but it tastes good to me and if I remember right it was like 35 cals and very little fat for two slices....

What brand of soy bacon do you buy?

I buy Morning Star. I really like the taste!
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I buy Morning Star. I really like the taste!

TY :flowerforyou:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    The center cut bacon in my fridge is 50 calories and 4g fat for 2 slices.... I enjoy it on the weekends sometimes.
    :smile:

Nothing is bad in small portions :wink:
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I had bacon eggs and toast for breakfast If I tried to eat super healthy food all the time I'd be broke It's the sad truth
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    In regards to turkey or pork bacon I'm not a fan of either. However, Oprah must be mistaken on her bacon comparison? Turkey bacon is much healthier for you than pork bacon. Just buy a pack of turkey bacon from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods and then buy a pack of pork bacon at the local grocery store. Also, what's being fed to the animal is important regardless of calorie count.
    Having said that, bacon of either variety in moderation never hurt anyone... :drinker:

No, the problem with the turkey bacon that Oprah was talking about was the sodium content. The turkey bacon is VERY high in that. I don't think they mentioned the fat, but like your last sentence says - moderation is KEY!!! :smile:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    no one likes peameal bacon?? I'm french canadian and grew up on the stuff, mom used to pan fry it in maple syrup then put it a mile high on toasted buns with a ton of sauteed onions! ooohhhh getting hungry, and peameal is called bacon, but I
    think it tastes a little more like ham.

Nutrition Information
    Per 100 g serving
    Energy 112 Cal
    Protein 16 g
    Fat 4.1 g
    Carbohydrate 4.5 g
    Sodium 1.15 g
    Potassium 26 g
  • get_fit2009
    Options
    no one likes peameal bacon?? I'm french canadian and grew up on the stuff, mom used to pan fry it in maple syrup then put it a mile high on toasted buns with a ton of sauteed onions! ooohhhh getting hungry, and peameal is called bacon, but I
    think it tastes a little more like ham.

Nutrition Information
    Per 100 g serving
    Energy 112 Cal
    Protein 16 g
    Fat 4.1 g
    Carbohydrate 4.5 g
    Sodium 1.15 g
    Potassium 26 g

Um, I can't say whether I like it or not, because to be honest, I have never heard of such a thing! I have had what we call Canadian bacon, which is more like ham and much less fat than our American bacon. I do enjoy it, but when I want bacon, I WANT BACON, not turkey bacon, not Canadian bacon, not soy bacon, not tofu bacon, not horse bacon, not fish bacon or any other weird meat that is out there. Just good, old fashioned BACON. *Stamps foot*
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    That's too funny, because for me peameal, is real bacon, I don't know it any other way, funny how you stick to certain childhood foods. Everyone elses "Real" bacon just doesn't measure up for me :ohwell:
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It's not that high. The bacon in my fridge is 70 calories for two slices:happy:

What kind of bacon do you have? That sounds like it needs to be on my grocery list! Mine is Campfire bacon (was on sale) at 310 calories for 3 slices. So it's actually over 100 calories per slice.

That's horrible!!! :sad: I was refering to the Oscar Mayer bacon, but we also have some Kroger store brand bacon that's 80 calories for two slices. These probably aren't as thick as the Campfire bacon.
  • get_fit2009
    Options
    That's too funny, because for me peameal, is real bacon, I don't know it any other way, funny how you stick to certain childhood foods. Everyone elses "Real" bacon just doesn't measure up for me :ohwell:

Exactly, whatever you grew up on is "the real thing"! Even within households. I have to buy 2 peanut butters, because I grew up on a "natural" kind and my hubby grew up on Skippy and neither one of us can switch to the other's brand. Pitiful! Oh, but he hates bacon, so I can have whatever I want as far as bacon is concerned!

:happy: Yay, me! :happy:
  • CassieNic
    CassieNic Posts: 223
    Options
    HomerDrool.png

MMMMMMM BAAACON
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I like turkey bacon...

have you tried the morningstar farms bacon?? I use to eat it, I thought it was really low in cals for a couple of pieces!

I could go for some real bacon tho! :cry:
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

Exactly, whatever you grew up on is "the real thing"! Even within households. I have to buy 2 peanut butters, because I grew up on a "natural" kind and my hubby grew up on Skippy and neither one of us can switch to the other's brand. Pitiful! Oh, but he hates bacon, so I can have whatever I want as far as bacon is concerned!

:happy: Yay, me! :happy:

I know, my husband hates bacon too! How can you hate bacon? Maybe thats why he's so skinny!
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I can't access it here at work to be able to show you, but my MySpace page has a sign on it with a funny pic that says OMG BACON!!!!!!!! I LOOOOVE bacon!!! And when I'm done eating it, us good ole southern gals strain the grease in a container and save it for later for cooking other things. Well I don't do it so much anymore but I have fond memories......*sigh*:sad:
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I can't access it here at work to be able to show you, but my MySpace page has a sign on it with a funny pic that says OMG BACON!!!!!!!! I LOOOOVE bacon!!! And when I'm done eating it, us good ole southern gals strain the grease in a container and save it for later for cooking other things. Well I don't do it so much anymore but I have fond memories......*sigh*:sad:
    Yeah, I have cast iron cookware so I still keep all my bacon grease.:laugh:
    But not for frying foods, persay. More like for seasoning the pan, right?!
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have cast iron cookware so I still keep all my bacon grease.:laugh:
    But not for frying foods, persay. More like for seasoning the pan, right?!

Ummm yeah!! That's it!!! I DO NOT saute my cabbage in bacon grease:noway:
  • get_fit2009
    Options

OMG, you just brought back childhood memories! My mom did that! I never have because my hubby doesn't like bacon. And you know what? I was a skinny kid. It can't be the bacon alone that made me gain weight later in life!
  • sweetapplepi
    Options
    In regards to turkey or pork bacon I'm not a fan of either. However, Oprah must be mistaken on her bacon comparison? Turkey bacon is much healthier for you than pork bacon. Just buy a pack of turkey bacon from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods and then buy a pack of pork bacon at the local grocery store. Also, what's being fed to the animal is important regardless of calorie count.
    Having said that, bacon of either variety in moderation never hurt anyone... :drinker:

Here is something I just copied and pasted off the web from typing into google 'eat this, not that bacon vs turkey bacon'.

Kind of shocked me the first time too:

Ever look at the nutrition label on Turkey bacon? Do you eat it because you think it’s healtier? Here are the stats per slice for turkey bacon and low sodium pork bacon (aka mmmmmmm).

Turkey Pork
    Calories 35 35
    Total Fat 3g 3g
    Sat. Fat 1g 1.25g
    Trans Fat 0g 0g
    Cholesterol 15mg 5mg
    Sodium 190mg 85mg
    Total Carb. <1g 0g
    Protein 2g 2g

So why are you eating turkey bacon?

Turkey is a better alternative that pork in general. I don't eat either of them to be honest. I find it greasy and gross. Also, what are pigs typically fed? Not so healthy things for a human, yet you turn around and eat the pig? You're essentially digesting that slop. =]
    I just bought the "Eat This, Not That Book" as well, and read what it had to say about bacon as well as other foods. =]
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

Here is something I just copied and pasted off the web from typing into google 'eat this, not that bacon vs turkey bacon'.

Kind of shocked me the first time too:

Ever look at the nutrition label on Turkey bacon? Do you eat it because you think it’s healtier? Here are the stats per slice for turkey bacon and low sodium pork bacon (aka mmmmmmm).

Turkey Pork
    Calories 35 35
    Total Fat 3g 3g
    Sat. Fat 1g 1.25g
    Trans Fat 0g 0g
    Cholesterol 15mg 5mg
    Sodium 190mg 85mg
    Total Carb. <1g 0g
    Protein 2g 2g

So why are you eating turkey bacon?

Turkey is a better alternative that pork in general. I don't eat either of them to be honest. I find it greasy and gross. Also, what are pigs typically fed? Not so healthy things for a human, yet you turn around and eat the pig? You're essentially digesting that slop. =]
    I just bought the "Eat This, Not That Book" as well, and read what it had to say about bacon as well as other foods. =]

I agree with you that turkey is a better alternative than pork in general, but we are not talking about in general, we are talking about a processed, chemical food vs smoked food. Bacon is actually the only pork I eat due to the grossness factor of pigs, however I think that its better than man made chemicals and the amount of processing that is put into turkey bacon (plus what part of the turkey do you think you are getting in turkey bacon? Think hot dogs and bolonga). Any kind of bacon isn't good for you when it all boils down to it, what I meant is what is better, real bacon vs turkey bacon. I guess it really depends on how its processed.

I'm thinking that soy bacon may be worth looking into ;)
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I had four slices of bacon on my sandwich for lunch today. It was really good. I had whole wheat double fiber bread, baby romaine, tomatoes, and hummus instead of mayo.

I like chicken and turkey but I still eat beef and pig. Moderation and portion control. I also like cooking and variety so sometimes I want something other than bird.