MFP suggests 1200 calories daily, isnt that too low?

Options
Hello folks, I am trying to lose 40-45 lbs, started yesterday., but I want to do it healthy. MFP suggested a daily intake of 1200 cal, isnt that too low for a healthy diet. I am a vegetarian and my diet is pretty healthy. I guess I can substitute my carbs with more protein, fat wise I dont think I am too bad. I have my diary open, please suggest.

Thanks!

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You must have it set for 2 lbs a week. Change your setting to 1 lb a week or customize the calories to your own liking.
  • kcb315
    kcb315 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    you could do the custom one where you put how many calories and stuff you want. so if you want to make it higher you can :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    the 1200 is based on your goals. Since you have 40 ish lbs to lose, I would suggest a healthy weekly goal for you is 1 lb/week

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -20 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

setting your goal to a less aggressive one would give you more calories. Also keep in mind that when you exercise you get to eat more as well.
  • polkataniec
    Options
    Change your goal to lower for what you want to lose a week. The lower it is the more calories you will be alawed to eat.Thats the healthiest way...plus you will be adding your exercise calories to it too.Good luck!
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My calories are set the same as yours. I try to eat healthy and if I go over or I know I'm going to go over I exercise more to make up the difference. This site works on net calories so you can burn 300 calories walking and then your total goes up to 1500 for the day. It's weird, but it works! It's always a shock when you first start counting calories. I've started snacking a lot on fresh fruit. to keep the sugar cravings and munchies away. :)
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    Also, when you add in your exercise, it gives you more caloires to eat. So if you are trying to lose 2 pounds a week and dont exercise, 1200 is where you should be. Like others suggested, try setting your goal to 1 pound a week and add exersice and your calories allowed will increase.
    ps- I started out with 2 pounds a week as my goal and lost more like 3 or 4 for the first 30 or so pounds. The next 30 came off slower, more like 1-2 pounds a week.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No, it's not too low for women:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php

Also, I'll give you my personal example because I just reached my goal last month.

My settings were to eat 1,260/day to lose 1lb/week. I did something active pretty much every day and on average burned between 300-500 calories depending on my workout.

That meant that my NET calories at that point was 760 (using a 500 calorie burn for that day). Even though I ate 1,260, my NET calories were below the minimum my body needed to function.

So my strategy was to pre-log my various exercise classes and spread those extra calories around during the day as healthy, whole foods like veggies, fruits, yogurt, nuts etc. I was never hungry on this program and I *never* fell below that 1,260 I personally needed per day to lose the weight and keep my body healthy.

I was also taking in MORE than 1,260 in food each day on days I worked out.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    You must have it set for 2 lbs a week. Change your setting to 1 lb a week or customize the calories to your own liking.

Not necessarily. Mine was set to 1lb/week and I had 1,260 per day. I explained my breakdown and how it worked for me (above)
  • VegeLover
    VegeLover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you could make 1200 work for you if you add exercise. You could also alter your intake if you choose lower fat foods (eg 1% milk), just one main protein per meal (eg mac&cheese OR chevre), slightly smaller portion sizes and add soups and salads to fill you up. Whatever you choose, believe in yourself and enjoy your success. Best wishes.
  • scuba_girl1002
    Options
    Great , thanks for the feedback folks. Does make a lot of sense.
  • slidemule
    slidemule Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On any diet plan a female should take in atleast 1200-1400 calories a day and men 1600-1800 calories a day. With out this your body starts to first go into your fat stores then second eats your muscle. Switch your settings to 1LB, good luck!
  • kwild07
    Options
    Hi, i just read your post. How acive are you? if you are active, you def need to eat more. I really enjoy eating so I try to stay active.for health reasons and so I can eat:). Otherwise, 1200 is about accurate. (I know it doesnt seem like much) I used to do sprint triathlons and have been keeping in shape by doing cross training (even though I probably wont do another tri) I have lost about 16 pounds since about march or so. good luck to you!!!
  • armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Carbs and proteins are the same amount of calories. For 1 g of each, it is 4 calories. :)
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    No, it's not too low for women:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php

Also, I'll give you my personal example because I just reached my goal last month.

My settings were to eat 1,260/day to lose 1lb/week. I did something active pretty much every day and on average burned between 300-500 calories depending on my workout.

That meant that my NET calories at that point was 760 (using a 500 calorie burn for that day). Even though I ate 1,260, my NET calories were below the minimum my body needed to function.

So my strategy was to pre-log my various exercise classes and spread those extra calories around during the day as healthy, whole foods like veggies, fruits, yogurt, nuts etc. I was never hungry on this program and I *never* fell below that 1,260 I personally needed per day to lose the weight and keep my body healthy.

I was also taking in MORE than 1,260 in food each day on days I worked out.

Important info here. And I'll share my experience as well. I came to MFP looking to lose 27 pounds. Went on the 2lbs a week goal and it set me at 1230 cal/day. I did that for 7 weeks and lost 24 pounds. Then I started increasing my calorie goal (by reducing my lbs lost/week goal) to slowly ease back up to my maintenance calorie goal while I lost the remaining 3 pounds. Worked fine, no plateaus, no issues. Just make sure if you've got your goal set at 1200cal/day that you realize that's net calories as described above. In other words you need to eat back the calories you burn from exercise in addition to the 1200 you're allowed per day.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Important info here. And I'll share my experience as well. I came to MFP looking to lose 27 pounds. Went on the 2lbs a week goal and it set me at 1230 cal/day. I did that for 7 weeks and lost 24 pounds. Then I started increasing my calorie goal (by reducing my lbs lost/week goal) to slowly ease back up to my maintenance calorie goal while I lost the remaining 3 pounds. Worked fine, no plateaus, no issues. Just make sure if you've got your goal set at 1200cal/day that you realize that's net calories as described above. In other words you need to eat back the calories you burn from exercise in addition to the 1200 you're allowed per day.

Thanks for chiming in to my response, I appreciate it! :)