Do I burn less when I'm cold?

This past week, it's gotten pretty cold where I live. I'm not getting as hot and sweaty during my workouts as I was in the heat of the summer...

Does this mean I'm burning less calories, or not having as good of a workout if I'm not sweating as much?

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    rolling the thread...

i'd be interested to know this as well
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 130 Member
    The jury is still out on that, in my opinion. I have heard both arguments, and they both make sense. If there is a change, its not much.

To put it simply, in the summer your body works harder at cooling itself down = more calories burned
    In the winter, your body works harder to keep warm = more calories burned. Keep in mind, however, that during the winter months people tend to be less active than in the summer. That's why most people put on some extra weight in the winter.

I like to think that wearing pants and long sleep tops when I work out helps :) It's just a mind game for me. I find very little difference in the actual calorie count.
  • Seginns
    Seginns Posts: 39
    No, it just means your body doesn't have to work as hard to cool you down.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    If you are burning less during excercise, it probably evens out because you burn more while trying to stay warm at rest :wink:
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I may be wrong but I am pretty sure it would be a minimal difference if any. After all you don't sweat at all during an Aqua work out but you can burn loads of calories. :smile: