Anyone on Zoloft?

Options
My doctor just put me on Zoloft for anxiety...of course there's mixed comments regarding weight loss & gain. If you are on it - did you have issues with either?

Replies

• Tuffjourney
    Options
    I am not on Zoloft, but am on Celexa for the same reason. I have not noticed any difference. Weightloss was hard before and after. No change. Good luck on it and I hope it helps you! :smile:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Not on it now but I was given it about 10 year ago for stress. I lost my appetite and a lot of weight.
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    My daughter has been on Zoloft for about 3 months now and has gained 6 pounds. HOWEVER... she's also 14 and a foodie in training! The other side of that is, she doesn't normally gain that fast. I have heard that it can make you gain easier.
  • RdySetGO11
    RdySetGO11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm on it and was put on it when I was pregnant with my 3rd about 2 years ago. I haven't really noticed any weight gain because of it medicine, however, I have a nasty habit to eat when I'm bored so I can't really compare :(
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    if there is any weight gain it would most likely be from feeling better and having a better appetite.

just count calories, drink water and exercise. best of luck to you!!
  • kddahl
    kddahl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been on Zoloft for depression for about a year now and at first I noticed some weight gain because I felt like I was craving everything! It lasted a couple months but then it started going away. Now I only really crave a lot when I am PMSing. Lol. I hope that helps :)
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Not on Zoloft but I take Xanax...it doesn't affect my weight/appetite at all. Hope Zoloft helps you <3
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I take a half of the lowest dose for anxiety. I have been on it for 8 years and I do believe it has an effect on weight loss. I noticed it more so in the beginning but I also think it has hendered me from losing my full potential. With all meds you have your pro's & con's. If it works for the anxiety, I wouldn't worry myself over weight gain. If you see that it becomes a problem, I'd talk with your Dr about a different type of medication. Good luck!
  • jessicastanfill
    jessicastanfill Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm on Zoloft too and had the same question. When I looked it up, i found that the research done showed that there was no correlation between taking zoloft and weight change, but regardless, many people claim it affects their weight. I interpret this to mean that depression can change the way we eat, and as we feel better, our eating habits may change and we may gain or lose weight, which could account for the perception for some that it is zoloft that is doing this.
  • crissimoyer
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I'm a emotional eater so I'm hoping that this helps with that and I have better control of my weight loss
  • violon
    violon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i'm on it and i haven't noticed a difference. i did try paxil and noticed immediately that my appetite went through the roof so i switched to the zoloft. just my experience!
  • stemen2011
    stemen2011 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Im on 200mg once a day (at night b4 bed) and I have noticed im nauseated with it which i loose my appetite because of the high dosage, but when Im not nauseated i feel "better" and just want to eat!