C25K....

Options
Just started this today. I am really super excited. just wanted to know who has done this and what your experience has been. Hopefully in the end, I will run a 5K, but I am mostly doing it to get fit and stay fit since I am 3.5 years from turning 40 and have a lot of weight to lose. Please share your story with me, good or bad!!! Thanks!

Replies

• lrodriguez83
    Options
    I have done it and swear by it! I started in July and ran my first 5K in August and another 5K this past Saturday!!
    I am actually doing the program for a second time now to get faster.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just graduated last week! Restarted the program (except started on week 3) and I'm working on running faster this time. I think when I finish this time, I will start the program outside (I've been running on a treadmill.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I just started 2 weeks ago, repeating week 1 last week. I have never been a runner and to be honest, I don't love it. But doing it very very gradually makes it seem so much less daunting. I was able to complete my C25K walk/runs each time except last Wed when I didn't eat any breakfast and the temperature was getting hot outside. I only did 6 of the 8 minutes and then pooped out. It was obvious from that that I need to go a little earlier in the day and I must have fuel.

I do mine with an App called Get Running. I also run MayMyWalk and iTunes in the background so I'm getting a record of the distance and some music playing too.

Best of luck to you, if I can do this, you certainly can!
  • shonasteele
    Options
    LOVE c25k! In a million years no one would have EVER thought I'd be a runner, but now I am. I'm slow, slow, slow, but I'm doing it and it feels GREAT! Did my first 5k yesterday and am planning for the next one. I couldn't RUN the whole thing, just kept doing intervals and plodding along. This might be the first time in my life that I've accepted that it's not about doing it BEST, or even doing it WELL, it's just about DOING it. And yes, I cried pretty much every time I hit a new benchmark that I didn't think I could do, but dang it felt good!!! Enjoy!
  • splooshcar
    Options
    :smile: Love it!
    I used to get shin splints from running. I tried the C25K program a couple years ago and NO PAIN. It makes a big difference to follow a training plan and SLOWLY increase time/distance.

Take it easy on rest day, no cheating and don't overdo it. :smile:

I highly recommend C25K podcasts from "Go Nicole Yourself": http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html Her music is upbeat and it saves me from having to constantly check a stopwatch for intervals. There are a number of other free podcasts available (DJ beatsmith), I like Nicole's music selection the best. :wink:

Have fun and take it easy.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Ooooooo... Thanks so much!!!!!!! I was just going to attempt to make my own because I don't like the techno music that is on my current C25K download!!! This will save me tons of time!!! THANKS!!!
    :smile: Love it!
    I used to get shin splints from running. I tried the C25K program a couple years ago and NO PAIN. It makes a big difference to follow a training plan and SLOWLY increase time/distance.

Take it easy on rest day, no cheating and don't overdo it. :smile:

I highly recommend C25K podcasts from "Go Nicole Yourself": http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html Her music is upbeat and it saves me from having to constantly check a stopwatch for intervals. There are a number of other free podcasts available (DJ beatsmith), I like Nicole's music selection the best. :wink:

Have fun and take it easy.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm such a fan! I use the NHS Choice's download from iTunes. On week 5 and LOVING it!
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sheri, I've actually gone through C25k more than once, and it's definitely the way to go if you want to get fit, and lose a few pounds in the process. My first round was about 8 years ago to lose a few pounds for my wedding. That summer, I ran two 8k races! Time out for baby making. I made it through about 6 weeks of training last summer before I somehow unconsciously gave up, and this year, I was more determined, aware of my 6 week pitfall, and pushed through it. I also started running outside, which really helped with my motivation. The treadmill was great when I needed guidelines (set my pace, watch my time, etc), but now I feel so much free-er running outside. I never loved running before, but now am actually starting to like it (not ready to say love just yet, but we'll see).

I am only a little over a year away from turning 40, and now regularly zip out of the house to run a 5k. I've lost a few pounds, still have a few more to go. I'm a fairly slow runner, but am DOING it (like Shona said)!

So, my advice:
    - do it!!
    - get good supportive running shoes
    - stick to the program if you're building fitness (don't overdo or skip any days unless you are already fit)
    - stretch after each run, especially your calves to help alleviate any shin splints
    - if you're having a hard time finishing a run, consider slowing your pace (yes, you can still be "running" in the 4.x mph range)
    - repeat days/weeks as needed
    - push yourself - you will be sooo surprised with yourself on that first 20 min run (trust me!)
    - come to MFP and log your progress after each run to celebrate your accomplishments (or commiserate)

BEST OF LUCK!!!
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Started C2K in mid-January of this year, and was quite sure I would never be able to finish it. I mean, ME? Run 20+ minutes non-stop? Yeah, right! Of course, I quickly dismissed those negative thoughts and was determined to give it my best shot. I ran my first 5K in May and ran a 4-miler in August.

My best advice (copied from a previous post I made on this topic): Do not beat yourself up if you feel like you need to repeat a week here or there. But, at the same time, do not fall back on the previous week solely because the next week seems too challenging. Give it a shot! You might amaze yourself how possible the seemingly impossible is when you get it in your head that YOU CAN DO IT.

Running that first 5K is such an awesome experience, to know that you set out on a goal and accomplished it is such a great feeling.

Here's my 5k thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/246339-nsv-first-5k

Also, I used free C25K podcast from Carlie at http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    currently on w3d2 and love the program so far :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My advice is to have fun with it and don't do anything high impact on the days between your runs. Give your joints those days off and you should find that you have no issues with injuries or pain as you progress through the program.
  • MochaBlues
    MochaBlues Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Glad to have found this thread...I just started the program last week, myself....great advice everyone!