Hey y'all!

Hi everyone! Just joined and even though I'm not usually the type to post to boards, I'm hoping it will help me stay on track and I can help others as well!
I've always been naturally thin, especially as I'm vegetarian, but with a tendency to gain weight in the stomach/love handles area. However, since i've left school (4 1/2 years ago) and quit my job (4 months ago) I've found myself having packed on serious pounds without realizing it! I'm about 20 pounds heavier than I have ever been, even at my previous max weight (I'm now 5' 6" and 160 pounds). Wow, that's hard to admit!
Since I've never had to diet or exercise before really and have very little self-discipline, I'm hoping I can get some ideas, tips, and motivation from everyone here!

Kate

Replies

• Welcome, Kate! This is a great place to start. You will probably become addicted to MFP, though! It really is a great tool, one that I can't live without now.

I was in a very similar situation as you are. I am also 5'6" and I got close to 160. It looked so heavy on my frame and my face looked fat. I also gain the most weight around my stomach/muffin top zone, and trust me, it's the hardest place to tone/make smaller. But don't worry! You can do it if you set yourself up for success.

Best of luck!
  • Writing is the first step, since you have friends here! I am a newbie as well. This site is very new to me, but very friendly! With everyone's help we will start on our way to being a better us!
  • cbrister07
    cbrister07 Posts: 34 Member
    Welcome! I wish you all the best in your journey. My advise is to be accountable for your food and exercise choices. I found that if I log my foods, even bad choices, I am much more aware and tend to make better choices.
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Welcome! Well you have made the right decision and have taken your first step towards a new you and new healthy lifestyle! My suggestion to you is: log everything every day, be honest with yourself, read the success stories and do NOT think diet! hehe You'll do great and I wish you the best also!! Yes, I also agree with the post from cbrister - log all no matter what! You do have per week calories so if you go over one day, no biggie - you may still end up losing weight at the end of the week!!
  • thank you so much everyone!! i feel very encouraged already!