Post-Workout Snacks

Options
Hey, I was just wondering what some people like to eat after their workouts. I once read somewhere that a post workout snack should contain a protein and a carb. More carb for building muscle/maintaining weight. More protein for weight loss. Something like that, I'm not sure how accurate that it.
So, what do you like to eat post workout?
Personally, I'll either have a BOOST calorie smart with a piece of fruit or some cut up fruit with natural peanut butter.

Replies

• DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I will usually have a glass of chocolate milk or a banana.
  • JoleneCooper
    JoleneCooper Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'd eat something with protein and/or fiber. Make a spinache omelet with egg whites. Your metabolism is going already from the work out so adding the fiber will help you go...making you lose the fat. The protein is a good way to keep you full during all that post work out energy burn. Good luck!
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Depends on how busy I am..lol, mine in the morning is:

Clif bars, Luna Bars, Protein bars are great if busy morning

Protein shake is great too..

But if I'm not rushed, I like my egg omelettes with tons of veggies and cheese..lately :wink:

Was grabbing any kind of eggs and bread on hand...

For afternoons:

Peanut butter sandwich

bananas

Silk Dark chocolate almond milk (still love that stuff) mmmmm!!!

Or its straight to my dinner..
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    protein shake w/ spinach, fruit, chia seeds or flax seeds, and coconut milk. you get protein, fat, and sugar all in one glass =)
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Celery and peanut butter!!! Yummmmmm!
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    Chocolate milk.
  • pegesam
    pegesam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Depends on the workout.... If its the Tues/Thurs 10 K Nite at the gym-- peanut butter and jelly on udi's flax bread. When I get to the house, its more carbs.
    If its Mon, Wed, Friday lifting weights, its protein shake --preferably whey protein or whey/soy proteind shake...
  • smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Milk
  • mrsredneckmorris
    mrsredneckmorris Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I got some !00% Whey Protein as recomended on Intense workout . com's web site and they recommend adding a bit of dextrose to it....(Protein & a Carb)
    Supposedly you aren't to have fat (either healthy or not) after a workout as it slows down the metabolism....(true or not I don't know); and proteins in meats etc...take awhile to break down and digest so they are not readily available for reabsorbtion in your body as a fast replenisher post workout

Just tried my first drink last night.....not entirely sure if I agree with using a supplement over natural foods, but I thought I would try it as I complete my workouts late in the evening and don't want to have something heavy sitting in my belly when I go to bed.
    I will be interested to see what everyone else has to eat.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    After a strength night I have an EAS Carb Control Protein Shake. (Rich Dark Chocolate or Chocolate Fudge are the best flavors)
    After a cardio only night I'll have a mini-Luna bar or something similar.
    Unless I work out pre-dinner, then I just eat my dinner.