quinoa and black beans

Options
hcn74
hcn74 Posts: 214
Made this last night. It was ridiculously good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/detail.aspx

I do think the nutritionals are off in the allrecipes database. I plugged it in here, and using what I used (Trader Joe's organic quinoa, Bush's low-sodium black beans), I got 285/serving for 5 servings. REcipe says 76/serving for 10 servings.

Regardless, it packs a nice protein punch and is really just delicious.

Enjoy!

Replies

• rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Two of the healthiest, high protein, good-carb rich foods packed into one dish! Sounds perfect :D
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    bump, i have Quinoa but have never tried it!
  • Nikki881
    Nikki881 Posts: 203
    Options
    Yum, sounds delicious! Thanks!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I am doing the same thing! I actually made a qunioa, black bean, butternut squash, and feta cheese wrap for lunch today. We'll see how it tastes (I saw it mentioned somewhere online and it sounded good). :-) Yummy!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    sounds amazing. I just so happen to need to use up some black beans in the fridge... and this is perfect...thank you!
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    looks great, thanks for posting!
  • chocoholicandbaby
    chocoholicandbaby Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have a big bag of dry black beans that I bought when I wanted to try Black Bean Brownies, and just bought some Quinoa so will definitely give this a try!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Sounds wonderful! I love quinoa.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm a quinoa and black beans fan, so I'm definitely gonna make this happen. Might even cut up a grilled chicken breast into it to make it more of a meal than a side dish.

Thanks for posting! :)
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cacraft
    cacraft Posts: 76
    Options
    Made this last night. It was ridiculously good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/detail.aspx

I do think the nutritionals are off in the allrecipes database. I plugged it in here, and using what I used (Trader Joe's organic quinoa, Bush's low-sodium black beans), I got 285/serving for 5 servings. REcipe says 76/serving for 10 servings.

Regardless, it packs a nice protein punch and is really just delicious.

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting.I'm going to make this tonight.

I would use olive oil and cook my own black beans without salt and no salt added to recipe. Plucking the ingredients from the MFP database I get the following for 10 servings: 123 calories/serving, 5g fibre, 2g sodium
  • cacraft
    cacraft Posts: 76
    Options
    Thank you! I have a big bag of dry black beans that I bought when I wanted to try Black Bean Brownies, and just bought some Quinoa so will definitely give this a try!

Black bean brownies are wonderful!
  • hcn74
    hcn74 Posts: 214
    Options

I would use olive oil and cook my own black beans without salt and no salt added to recipe. Plucking the ingredients from the MFP database I get the following for 10 servings: 123 calories/serving, 5g fibre, 2g sodium

I would like to try it with the dried black beans, too. Such a sodium saver! I was pinched for time last night, though, so the canned worked nicely.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Thanks for posting that.

I have quinoa and dried black beans at home that I've been wondering what to do with! Was googling it just a few mins ago....PERFECT timing so!
  • FitnessDivaK
    Options
    Thanks for posting!!! I'm cooking this tonight!!!

Edit: Awww! Just realized I'm out of black beans! This is the 1st thing on the menu after my next trip to the grocery store
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I made this last night and it was so so so good! thank you! A real keeper! I didn't have corn, so I just picked a few green beans, snap peas and a little squash from my garden (the only things left!) and put those in. I'm sure any other veggie would do.

I also had some leftover chicken breast I sauteed quickly in olive oil/coriander and cumin and ate with it.

I made this w/my own homemade broth and dry black beans from the farmers market I had bought and cooked the other day--hoping to have alleviated sodium this way!
  • nabooth
    nabooth Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump