emotional eating binge

Options
Hi,
I have a problem that I know is very common for women. When I'm upset especially after a stressful day at work, I can't wait to get home and eat. Unfortunately, when I do this I find myself just mindlessly chopping on anything, hoping for the feeling of satisfaction. I don't keep many sweets or snacks around the house because, I know when I get in one of these moods I will reach for them first. But, I find myself eating my somewhat healthy dinner, then a fruit, maybe some raisins, next almonds, cookies if they are around and on and on. I continue eating when I'm full and then pass out.
If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do with this problem. I would appreciate it.

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    find something else to do with your hands, like come on MFP or knit or read or cook a week's worth of meals that night or something.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I like to take a walk before I eat. I will stop and do soem kind of activity or as much as I hate it, I will call someone and tell them. Now since I am here a lot of times I will log on and tell my challenge partner in an email bc it's easier for me to tell someone I know won't judge me bc they don't know me that well. Stay Strong. You can add me if u like.
  • natersmama
    Options
    when you're bored eating or stress eating, try like crazy to stay away from the kitchen. if you do wander in there, get some ice water. or chew gum. lately i've been finding that writing what i'm feeling passes time quickly, and its not undoing all my hard work. i will admit it doesnt always work for me, but give it a try and see if it does for you. good luck!
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. Lots of it. Drink a whole glass of water before, during, and after you eat. It will help fill you up and keep this from happening. Also - try to convince yourself not to eat late at night, it's especially bad for you. :)

Sometimes when I get really hungry at night I just go to sleep, Or I do something with my hands and keep myself busy/distracted.

I also know that if you have something like a strong mint (Altoids are my fave) it won't cost you a lot of calories but you'll have something in your mouth. You won't be eating but will still feel more satisfied. Or you could brush your teeth. Who likes to eat right after brushing your teeth? Everything just tastes like toothpaste. lol

Don't know if that's even helpful but I hope something works for you!!! :)
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds kind of silly, but freeze some of your favorite small fruits/berries. I like to freeze raspberries and grapes. When I need to "binge"...I'll take a few out. They take a long time to eat frozen, are low-cal, and yummy!
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I have any answers for you, but I can relate to you- I am a nervous or bored eater. In the evenings it is the worst- I can follow my plan all day long- no problem- then evening comes and forget it.

From my own experience, this has become controllable. I feel the urge happening now and I actually talk myself out of it. I just don't do it. It sounds so simple, but is so true. Once a couple of weeks has gone by, it will get easier. They say do anything for 30 days and it becomes habit. You just need to break the old habit of munching.

Also, something that really helped me a lot is drinking hot herbal tea in the evening. It's hot so you have to drink it slow, and it just keeps me busy- so I forget about nibbling.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    It's the mentality you need to deal with, not just the actual eating. I'd suggest talking to a therapist, investing in a journal, or, do what I do, run. The eating is to mask something, run, run it out, sometimes you even get to figure out the deeper reason behind the binge and, at any rate, you can go home and have a snack
  • dolphin030574
    dolphin030574 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's exactly the same for me! Whenever I'm stressed or upset I just want to eat! The best thing for me is to stay on my eating schedule so I'm not starving cause once Im past that point I'll eat anything! When I know I want to eat something that I shouldnt I try to drink a bottle of water to fill me up and maybe a chocolate fiber one bar. If the feeling still hasnt passed then I get a smaller portion of what it is that I want like. This isnt an everyday thing for me so I try not to feel guilty if I do go over my points for that day. I just make sure it doesnt become a habbit! Everyone is different, I have a huge appetite so when I started my diet I had to take an appetite suppressent until I could be satisfied with a smaller portion and get myself on a schedule. It does get better!
  • Jackie218
    Jackie218 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I go thru the same thing every now and then especially when im stressed out, the best thing that ive ever done is actually just go work it off by some form of excercise. It makes me feel way better afterwards.. it really does suck tho, cuz ive been turning to food for so long for comfort so even after losing 68lbs i still struggle with this and to be honest i dont even enjoy what im eating whenever i go on a binge! But i would recommend working out whenever u feel this way! Hope it works out for you. Feel free to add me if ud like :)
  • ivysfitness
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your support. Today I'm doing okay with my eating and trying to forget my 2-day binge. I got a lot of good ideas from all of you. More water, running it off, keeping my hands busy and journaling or talking to a therapist are all great ideas!! I will forgive myself for now and move on!!
    Please feel free to write me if any of you need support too!!! :smile: