Exercise and Fitness

Options
Hi Everyone, I am new to this site and have a question. Is there a way to track how many miles I've walked by the amount of steps I've taken? Thank you.

Replies

• Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    my only suggestion would be to get a pedometer
  • kfue
    kfue Posts: 17
    Options
    It depends on the gait of your stride (how far you go w/ each step). I found that I walked about 1 mile for every 2,000 steps (2,000 steps was actually just short of a mile for me). I am a 5' tall female. If you are using a pedometer, most of them have a setting that asks you to put in the distance of your stride and it does the calculation to miles for you.

Bottom line- I say just figure 2,000 steps is a mile.

:happy:
    Good luck!
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You'll have to calculate your stride first. Go to a football field or a place where you KNOW the distance from one point to another. Walk like 20 yards on the field in as straight a line as you can while counting your steps. Write down the number of NORMAL LENGTH steps from point A to point B. Walk back to point A while counting your steps again, write down the number. Go back to B, write down the number of steps. Walk back to A and write down the number of steps. You should have 4 numbers. Average them together.

If you used 20 yards, figure out how many 20-yard lengths are in a mile. 20 yards is about 60 feet. I think there are 5280 feet in a mile, so there would be 88 20-yard-lengths in one mile. (this is a rough calculation, do the math yourself to be sure.)

So, take the average of your 4 step-counts, which is the number of steps you take in 20 yards and multiply it by 88 which is the number of times you will walk 20 yards in one mile. That's the number of steps you will take in one mile.
  • allykat25
    Options
    Most fitness sites state that ~2000 steps = a mile as kfue stated below. That is average. You can figure that and be within a few steps :-) Good luck. Also, you can buy a pedometer. I found one at WalGreens for around $20 (which I destroyed by washing cuz I didn't take it off the pants I was wearing :-( ) that if I remember correctly counted your steps but also put it in to miles. If not, there are a myriad of sources/places on the Internet that you can research one that will help you. Good luck!!