I Want to Buy and Elliptical....recommendations?

Options
Anyone have an elliptical they absolutely love or absolutely hate? I have done some research but always trust personal experience over general consumer reviews. I am looking for something that is sturdy and effective and it doesn't have to have 100K bells and whistles.
Thanks!:drinker:

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Livestrong Elliptical from ****'s Sporting Goods (I hate that we get bleeped lol). I paid $800 for mine and I LOVE it. It does have a long stride so if you're shorter than 5'6" it will probably be too long. It's worth going to the stores and trying them out to find out what you like.

I suggest getting one with a fan and a large holder for reading (if you like to read) and I LOVE the water bottle holder on this one because it holds a BIG bottle that doesn't fall out.

It was worth every single penny!!!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    What's your budget?

Proform & NordicTrack have some with iFit Live which is kind of cool. Check it out at iFit.com
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    Make sure you get one that has a heavy enough base so it doesn't rock. When I get going on mine, it rocks a little, and that is very annoying. Thus, I don't use it too much. Well that and I'm too damn lazy. :bigsmile:
  • juliapm7
    Options
    We have a Schwinn 431 (not sure if this one is manufactured anymore, but I'm sure there is a substitute). I love this machine!
  • Bourds
    Bourds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a Reebok that I paid $999 on sale and have used for 2 years.....this last 8 months heavily. Love it....different programs and options if I want it or just get on, set my resistance and go. You can enter in your weight and it will calculate actual calories burned based on your weight and exercise performed. Has HRM too if you like that.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have an older Pro Form. Still pretty happy with it and I think I've had it (and used it semi-regularly) for 8 years. We paid $200 for it at a after Thanksgiving Sale.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Don't get eh bottom of the line(gazelle or similar) get one that changes resistance automatically.
    My wife bought a Bowflex treadclimber and I hate it, too small, too gimmicky.
  • Biglovelovesme
    Biglovelovesme Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Budget is somewhere under 1000.00. Of course I haven't mentioned this to my husband yet but I intend to leverage the fact that I have a gym membership that I NEVER use.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I've never had a gym membership so it's totally worth the cost! My husband is obsessive about research in the sub $1000 category and we looked at them all and tried them out. IMO the Livestrong is definitely worth it. It's very sturdy too. I was 242lbs when I started using it and it didn't rock at all which was important to me.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I had a proform that I picked up off from Craigslist. It's a good way to make sure you are actually going to use it regularly. I did for a while, paid $75 for it and sold it for $150 when I decided to join the gym. I just didn't have the space for it and no TV in the room where I had it set up, so I got bored really, really easily.

I have a gym membership to Planet Fitness and pay $10 per month and love it! I've been a member for over 2 years now and I go between 4 and 5 times a week.