Exercising "too hard"?

Options
Just wondering what the general consensus was on the theory that you can work out "too hard" and actually sabotage your weight loss. I'm curious because I know a lot of you use HRM's to keep yourself in certain ranges, and I wasn't sure if there was a physiological explanation as towhy you should keep your heart rate within a certain range, and if you exceed it or don't reach it, is that why you don't lose weight, or is there another reason? I saw a special on the Discovery channel months ago about this, but I can't remember what the outcome was :ohwell: Do any of you feel that if you get your heart rate up too high while running that it may not be as helpful as using an elliptical or power walking instead?

Thanks in advance for your help!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• shea831
    shea831 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what the general consensus was on the theory that you can work out "too hard" and actually sabotage your weight loss. I'm curious because I know a lot of you use HRM's to keep yourself in certain ranges, and I wasn't sure if there was a physiological explanation as towhy you should keep your heart rate within a certain range, and if you exceed it or don't reach it, is that why you don't lose weight, or is there another reason? I saw a special on the Discovery channel months ago about this, but I can't remember what the outcome was :ohwell: Do any of you feel that if you get your heart rate up too high while running that it may not be as helpful as using an elliptical or power walking instead?

Thanks in advance for your help!! :flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Your heart can only beat a certain number of times per minute and forcing it the exceed its maximum bpm could lead to a heart attack and death in the most extreme cases. Usually you get dizzy and faint and if you don't have enough sense to stop after feeling dizzy you pass out. (I guess you can tell I've experienced this before)

Here's an old post that may help.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/24926-fat-burn-vs-cardio-questions-on-heartrate?hl=exercise+intensity#posts-238328
  • Umdawood
    Umdawood Posts: 5
    Options
    You could try running at a slower speed if you're really tired and after you've got your heart-beat down a bit,speed it up again.Keeps you from fainting and does the job of keeping your heart-rate at a fat-burning range.Always remember to start and finish with a warm-up though......
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. When I use my HRM (only had it one week) it says that of the 30 minutes I am exercising 28-29 minutes are "ABOVE" 1 or 2 are are "INZONE" and 0 "BELOW"

Is this bad????

I do want so badly to lose weight but am I doing something really wrong by exercising hard? I love the feeling of exercising like that. I think it is a high and I feel like I am doing something tangible to get rid of fat.

If I stay "IN ZONE" I would hardly even sweat, get hot yes, but not really sweat, you know the kind you have to wipe it away with a cloth. (love it!)

Last, and maybe I am answering my own question but is this why I am often tired an hour or two after exercising?

thanks to all of you who have done this before and therefore know what you are talking about!!:flowerforyou:
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You want to exercise within your range that helps you burn fat. And after you exercise are you eating anything? You should at least 30 mins after u exercise i do and it keeps away the sleepiness.