New to this, needing motivation and all kinds of advice!

Options
Hey guys, I'm Ericka, I'm 20 years old and am desperately needing to lose 80lbs or more!
I'm quite tall, 5'11 so I can pull off being a heavier weight while still looking good. Ever since I graduated from high school my weight has been going up quite steady and its about time I finally put an end to this.
Currently I weigh 292lbs, and really don't want to reach that 300lbs mark
So if any of you guys out there are having the same struggle as I am I would love to talk to you about what works and what doesn't...or even just be there to keep you going.
Hope to hear from you all and good luck :drinker:

Replies

• kcwonder
    kcwonder Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Welcome Ericka,

MFP is awesome. I started this summer without seriously faltering. The community can be really helpful. Best wishes.
  • PolarLife
    Options
    Hi Ericka!

My name is Erick and I just joined this to give me a little boost to what I am trying to accomplish. I have started to do heart rate training back in January and have successfully lost 42 lbs with no problems keeping it off. I use Polar as it works best for me. I have been using them since 1990 for more bodybuilding and strength. It was in January when I decided to take it in a different direction. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me.
  • cherylbraud
    Options
    Hi, I am kind of new, too. I have only los12 pounds and I too want to lose 80 plus, am also 5'11. I am no expert, just a struggling dieter. Just hang in there and stay focused. You didn't gain it overnight so be patience when it comes to taking it off. My advice is don't let the scale make or break your day. Exercise for 1 hour 3 times a week and 15 or 20 minutes on alternate days. You will lose inches, which is just as rewarding, and people will motice.
  • baby74
    baby74 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whether you have 80 lbs to lose or 15lbs, it is difficult if you don't have the right mind set for it. Are you truely ready?? I told myself for 10years that I needed to do something but it wasn't until 3 yrs ago, I finally put ME first and started with simply walking 3miles 4days a week, and ate less. Lost 7lbs in the first week. It's all a matter of eating less and moving more, and eating the right things. I dont' eat starch foods anymore, I don't drink pop (feel so much better with that!!!)..I am a ice cream fan...I struggle with sweets right now. I have lost 62lbs over a 2 1/2-3yrs time...I don't care how long it takes me, as long as it all comes off.
    Start slow, step by step, one thing at a time....don't be in a hurry. Don't take any diet pills. But for a while I did replace a dinner meal with a protein shake. Which I need to do again, I am stuck not losing anymore.
    The hardest for me is willpower on sweets...but I always look at the the nutrition information first.

I love keeping track of food I eat, and what I do to burn it off!! I also use a heartrate monitor, I love it!! I like seeing the number of calories go up, and when I go past my goal....I feel good about it. I have the FT7Polar, it's about $100 but it's worth the money. Once you get into walking more and losing....change your walking to walk/run intervals....never thought I could, but man I feel great just doing it for 20mins. The fist month or two for me, I lost 25lbs easy....the smaller you get the harder you have to work (I keep forgetting that part!). I work 12hr days, so it's hard to think about working out afte work, but I just give myself 20mins on eliptical, at least I did something! Every little bit helps.
    Good luck, let us know how things go
  • Ickaboo
    Ickaboo Posts: 20
    Options
    I really appreciate everyones comments! I wish I would have found this part of the website back when I joined in 2010. It makes a HUGE difference have others to talk to about this stuff.
    So far I've had my breakfast and lunch and still have 750 calories left for dinner, I'm not sure if thats enough or a good number?
    What are all your opinions on meal replacements? Like those shakes or the bars?
    And my new little step for the day is drinking water at my desk instead of energy drinks and diet pop, hopefully that will make a difference.
    PS if anyone just wants to feel free to add me as a friend :)