I don't need caffeine to make it through the day? Who would

Options
For the past week and a half, I have taken a personal challenge: to get my carbs from vegetables and fruits, and stay away from refined sugars, bread/pasta, etc. It was an adjustment at first, but a week and half in and I'm totally hooked! I'm not a raw-foodist by any means (I love chicken, ground turkey breast and fish), however, by eating tons of fruits and vegetables, raw and cooked, I have had a substantial increase in energy! I haven't had a diet soda for a week and half! For someone who loves a nice, cold diet Pepsi, this was an incredible revelation! I've always eaten vegetables and fruits, but since moving in with my boyfriend (who eats like crap and somehow stays incredibly fit and sculpted (WHY!?!?!?)), my eating habits have begun to mirror his a bit. So last week I decided to make a change, and it has been amazing! I not only feel healthier, but I look healthier too!

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I do need caffeine to make it through the day. In answer to your subject line.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Great. Keep it up.

But I need my caffeine. mmm...coffee.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I gave up caffeine when I started college. I did perfectly fine my entire freshman year. I went back to caffeine during my sophomore and junior year due to stress and health problems that made me fatigued. When I started MFP, I gave it up again for the most part and I don't need it unless I've really had a rough day. I don't even like the taste of soda anymore.
  • SmugCanucksGal
    SmugCanucksGal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome! I have done the same thing. Lots and Lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Plus Chicken/Turkey/Fish.
    its been at least 2 months of me dong this didactically, my insides feel amazing, and I am loosing may inches, gone down 2 pants sizes already!
    Be good to your body and it will return the favor!
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I had to give up coffee a while back and with my new eating habits I rarely miss the caffeine. I do love the taste of coffee though so sometimes I miss that. You going to keep going with the veggies now that your personal challenge is over then?
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    i used to have coffee and rockstar or monster or red bull every day (sugar free kind) but havnt had one in 2 weeks, also no diet soda for 2 weeks either...i dont need it..(ONLY COFFEE 1 cup)...thanks to my friend that challenged me!!!! (love ya Heather)
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Me too, I have to have one cup of coffee a day or else it isn't pretty. I realize this isn't good, but we're talking 1 cup of coffee w/ skim milk, not a 2 liter of soda or a pot of coffee. I figure I don't smoke or do anything really bad for me, so, I can handle this one vice.

I agree, I feel 100% better when I'm loading up on veggies and fruit. You will have to rip my fresh baked bread out of my cold dead hands, however. Some people crave chocolate, give me a warm piece of home made bread and I'm in heaven. I've cut out alot of excess sugar over the last couple of years and really have tried to eat things that aren't as processed. I consider the occasional processed food a treat/cheat and try to keep them to a minimum.
  • mmp0001
    mmp0001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    " but since moving in with my boyfriend (who eats like crap and somehow stays incredibly fit and sculpted (WHY!?!?!?))"

LMAOF! Isn't that true!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Oooo, I need my morning caffeine. Just a coffee drink mix in the morning. I literally move in slow motion without it, haha.
    NOT a fan of soda though. I've never liked how it tasted or made me feel, even before I started eating healthy :)
  • raw_sugar
    Options
    I'm of the opinion (for what it's worth) that everyone needs one vice.. coffee is mine, especially since I'll be cutting way back on beer and wine in the name of caloric intake.
  • jbrautigam24
    jbrautigam24 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm so hooked! My friend Tori is doing the raw food diet. I'm not interested in that extreme, but I do want to keep eating like I have been. I used to feel so bogged down around 2:30 that I would need a soda or something, but now that I'm doing this, I don't get slumps like that anymore. Well- nothing that some yummy veggies and hummus or an apple can't fix anyway....Mmm...
  • raw_sugar
    Options
    The past week I've been skipping my afternoon Timmies.. the first couple days were rough, but it's not so bad this week.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    There isn't anything unhealthy about a cup of joe in the morning so I keep at it and have no intention of ever giving it up, save for out of my cold dead hands!

Seriously though I'm glad you found healthy foods= more energy. I just need a little extra help lol.