What to eat when at a protest?

Options
Morning all!

I'm sure by now, quite a few of you have heard of the Occupy movement going on. I'll be joining a local chapter on Thursday which will continue indefinitely. I'll be camping outside and walking/marching most of the day while carrying a backpack weighing around 25lbs. I'm in the 230s, so we're looking at a huge calorie burn and I'm worried about my nutrition.

I need/want to pack food with me to keep up energy levels, but I can only think of meal bars... I've never had them before, but they seem easiest to pack and eat while on the go. Any brand/flavor suggestions? Probably dried fruit as well.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a ton for reading!

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Eat the rich, of course.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Will you be able to stock up on food on the way?

I'd go with
    - cheese sticks
    - nuts
    - dried fruit
    - fresh fruit
    - carrot sticks
    - cereal
    - protein bars (I recommend the promax maximuscle chocolate and orange ones, well balanced, very tasty - not cheap though!)
    - some form of bread for non-sugar carbs
    - longlife milk cartons
  • fitinprogress
    Options
    Eat the rich, of course.

I would, but they are tough and rotten. D:
  • raiderdawg
    raiderdawg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm sure you wouldn't want to go to the store and buy any food, because that might have you actually supporting "big business and corporations", especially those prepackaged bars.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Don't get arrested. I have heard that jail food is fattening.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Cliff bars are good. Aldi fit and acitve meal replacement bars aren't bad. I'd really take fresh fruit over dried if you can. Dried fruit is usually high in sugar and calories..the average dried fruit is 130 cals for 1/4 cup...

You could bring nuts, gronola, pack a few peanut butter sandwiches
  • fitinprogress
    Options
    Will you be able to stock up on food on the way?

I'd go with
    - cheese sticks
    - nuts
    - dried fruit
    - fresh fruit
    - carrot sticks
    - cereal
    - protein bars (I recommend the promax maximuscle chocolate and orange ones, well balanced, very tasty - not cheap though!)
    - some form of bread for non-sugar carbs
    - longlife milk cartons

I'm not sure how things will look when I get up there. It's in another city and I don't know the layout, so the more prep I can do before hand the better. The suggestions you made are wonderful though. Thank you much. :)
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Cliff bars are good..so are Zone bars.
    I usually eat almonds for quick energy..
  • fitinprogress
    Options
    Don't get arrested. I have heard that jail food is fattening.

What if I portion controlled? Maybe ask for a doggy bag. They can do that, right? Have em wrap it up for me while I prep for my mug shot. ;o
  • fitinprogress
    Options
    "Cliff bars are good. Aldi fit and acitve meal replacement bars aren't bad. I'd really take fresh fruit over dried if you can. Dried fruit is usually high in sugar and calories..the average dried fruit is 130 cals for 1/4 cup... "

Well, if I'm walking for 8-14 hours a day, wouldn't I want more calories? D: Fresh fruit tastes so much better. I hope the farmer's market will be nearby. Thank you!
  • fitinprogress
    Options
    Cliff bars are good..so are Zone bars.
    I usually eat almonds for quick energy..

That's two for Cliff bars so far. I'll keep an eye out for that and Zone bars. Thank you for reminding me that I have a giant bag of almonds I can take and share. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    3rd (or 4th?) the suggestion for Clif bars - they're so good.

Dry cereal, pre-popped popcorn, fruit, nuts, beef jerky, crackers with cheese or peanut butter, peanut butter sandwiches, and lots of water.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just tried the PowerBar Recovery bars and really liked them.
  • fitinprogress
    Options
    3rd (or 4th?) the suggestion for Clif bars - they're so good.

Dry cereal, pre-popped popcorn, fruit, nuts, beef jerky, crackers with cheese or peanut butter, peanut butter sandwiches, and lots of water.

I'll be taking a special backpack with me, it's a Camel-bak..? I'm sure I've spelled that wrong... but it has a large water tank built into it. Specifically for hiking and the sort, really awesome stuff. I'm going to be chugging water all day~

Cheese and crackers... :D... Hitting a soft spot for me there. lol Thank you for the response!
  • fitinprogress
    Options
    I just tried the PowerBar Recovery bars and really liked them.

I'll be sure to look into those. Thank you. :)
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I just watched a clip on CNN to see and understand what the Occupy movement is about in NYC. You should protest there, because they showed protesters eating catered lunches and mostly sitting around, reading their iPhones and iMacs.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/10/03/erin-burnett-seriously-wall-street.cnn

Seriously, though, to answer your questions, I'd go with high caloric items that won't spoil. The items mentioned are good. Nuts are a good source of protein, calories, healthy fats, and fiber. I'd pack dried fruit, nuts, crackers, and some sweets too for the sugar to keep the energy up - hard candies, chocolate. If you are not brushing your teeth, don't forget your sugar free gum!

Good luck!
  • fitinprogress
    Options
    I just watched a clip on CNN to see and understand what the Occupy movement is about in NYC. You should protest there, because they showed protesters eating catered lunches and mostly sitting around, reading their iPhones and iMacs.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/10/03/erin-burnett-seriously-wall-street.cnn

Seriously, though, to answer your questions, I'd go with high caloric items that won't spoil. The items mentioned are good. Nuts are a good source of protein, calories, healthy fats, and fiber. I'd pack dried fruit, nuts, crackers, and some sweets too for the sugar to keep the energy up - hard candies, chocolate. If you are not brushing your teeth, don't forget your sugar free gum!

Good luck!

Haha, thanks for posting the video. It was interesting and fun to watch. :)

I plan on brushing, so no worries there. I don't really want sweets, but I could see how it would make sense if someone's sugar level got too low.

Thank you for the response!