Protein arg : (

Options
Ok I am eating 1,600 calories a day and was told to bring my carbs down so I am now eating 40% carbs, 35% protein and 25% fat. Every day at this amount I have a horrible time reaching my protein ratio when eating regular food. I drink Shakeology and even add whey to it. What else is everyone doing to reach their protein goal without eating chicken and fish non stop? :(

Replies

• ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    One thing that really helps me on protein is Chobani Greek Yogurt. 0% fat, 170 calories a serving and 22 grams of protein!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    One thing that really helps me on protein is Chobani Greek Yogurt. 0% fat, 170 calories a serving and 22 grams of protein!
    wow, I'm going to have to get ahold of some Chobani... my greek yogurt only has 10 grams of protein and 150 calories!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    hardboiled egg
    pistachios
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I totally get how you feel!!! I work out a lot so I lowered my carbs to 50% and then split my fat and protein equally at 25% and I have one hell of a time getting enough protein in. I eat protein at every meal and my snacks and usually have a protein shake on top of that too and there are some days when I'm still 10+ grams off my target. I eat alot of nuts and jerky and stuff like that and look for low/no sugar, high protein powders. I'll be interested to see what others do too.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Eggs for breakfast? Today I put some protein powder in my coffee.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    3 protein shakes a day. I feel your pain. Interestingly, those mini babybel cheese things have no carbs, just protein and fat. I don't know what they do to it to get it that way, but I enjoy them :)
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I do 3 protein shakes a day...and it gets me close. I do greek yogurt for breakfast...and then string cheese for my snacks. I will do a protein bar once in a while..but I agree..its hard.

Oh..and fish is awesome...
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese... 100 calories, 12g protein...
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have trouble reaching my protein goal, too, because I really only ever eat meat at dinner. One way I have started to up my protein intake is making a protein smoothie in the blender with a scoop of protein powder (15g), 6oz of Greek yogurt (~18g), and a half cup of skim milk (~4.5g). I usually add some fruit in with that too (frozen cherries/blueberries, or canned peaches in water or a whole banana).

I try to eat one egg every day (but never more than one), and I switched to Ezekiel bread because it has double the protein of other whole grain toasts. And a third less carbs. And a third less calories. And it's tastier haha.

I also will have a can of tuna or salmon sometimes for lunch, that's a ton of protein and not a lot of fat!
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have trouble reaching my protein goal, too, because I really only ever eat meat at dinner. One way I have started to up my protein intake is making a protein smoothie in the blender with a scoop of protein powder (15g), 6oz of Greek yogurt (~18g), and a half cup of skim milk (~4.5g). I usually add some fruit in with that too (frozen cherries/blueberries, or canned peaches in water or a whole banana).

I try to eat one egg every day (but never more than one), and I switched to Ezekiel bread because it has double the protein of other whole grain toasts. And a third less carbs. And a third less calories. And it's tastier haha.

I also will have a can of tuna or salmon sometimes for lunch, that's a ton of protein and not a lot of fat!

Just ALOT of sodium. They use it as a preservative.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm on a ratio of 5% carbs, 30% fat, 65% protein. I agree, it can be hard to reach my protein goal!

Hard-boiled eggs are a great snack. Also try eating cheese wedges / cheese cubes. And handfuls of almonds or peanuts.

I have a George Foreman grill, so I usually eat a lot of chicken breasts, fish filets, shrimp kabobs, pork chops, or steaks that I can just throw on that thing with a few spices. If you vary your spices, the chicken won't seem so boring. Have Indian (curry & red pepper) one night, Italian (basil, oregano, garlic) one night, etc.

I do use a lot of flavored protein powders: I'll usually throw a scoop in my drink with every meal & every snack. You can also mix it with plain Greek yogurt. I like Syntrax Nectar brand 'cause it usually mixes up smoothly without a blender, and they have lots of different flavors from cappuccino to chocolate to iced tea.
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    I add 1 tblsp nat peanut butter/or any nut butter to protein shake in the a.m.
    Light ricotta mixed with cinnamon, vanilla & stevia, or ricotta w/nat. peanut butter, vanilla & stevia.
    1st snack I have oatmeal, a boiled egg & a babybel light:)
    lots of asparagus...it's high in protein :)
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i drink a lot of protein shakes and eat a lot of protein bars. Im a vegetarian and have found thats about my best option unless i want to get a boatload of carbs. I like pure protein, supreme protein, and elite gourmet bars, and syntrax nectar, body fortress,muscke milk, ON nutrition, and protein blitz drinks. Then again, i aim for nearly 200 g protein a day.
  • anelahm
    anelahm Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese. yummmmm:)
  • kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    Options
    I feel your pain. My doctor has me on a very high protein diet with low carbs and low fat. I drink Protein Shakes and have a protein bar every day. The key is to find items with high protein, but that don't contain a large amount of fat, calories and carbs. I like coffee, and will put the protein shake into the coffee to give it a great flavor and get in the protein. Premium Protein High Protein Shakes have 30g of protein, only 3g carbs and 3g of fat with 160 calories. I eat Detour Low Sugar protein bars. They taste like candy bars, but have 15g of protein. I also eat Chobani nonfat yogurt. The plain non-fat yogurt is very high in protein, and lowfat cottage cheese is great for protein. Turkey burgers, shrimp, Boarshead meat and chicken breasts is where I get a great amount of protein.

After a workout I drink a protein shot. They have anywhere from 25-30g of protein. I hope this helps.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    eggs, egg whites, Cottage cheese is supposed to be good too. I'm pretty heavy into chicken and fish..and yes, it does get boring! :-)

how about Turkey cutlets or pork chops(cut the fat off the edges)
  • courtneymomofone
    Options
    Eggs aren't as bad as they were touted to be a few years ago, and the health recommendations have actually been loosened on eating eggs. I eat 2 eggs with spinach, tomatoes and mushrooms every morning, plus cottage cheese has CRAPLOADS of protein in it. I use it as a salad dressing and that helps up my protein, as well as adding chicken breast or pork tenderloin to my salads (about 1/2C diced).

Greek yogurt, when you read the labels, can have an incredible amount of protein, too. My husband found Dannon's Daikos Greek Yogurt helps him reach his protein goals more easily
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    yogurt, cheese, lean meat, beans, eggs, milk...
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    96% lean beef patties from Trader Joes!
  • mrsknotts
    mrsknotts Posts: 115
    Options
    I LOVE peanut butter, nuts and cottage cheese. I also love cheese in general, low fat string cheese, feta, and goat cheese are great ways to add some protein to salads or roasted veggies