Break in running shoes?

Options
How long does it take to break in running shoes? I'm going to be running in my first 5k on the 15th of this month. I thinking of buying a new pair of running shoes this Saturday. Is a week long enough for me to break them in (don't want blisters!), or should I stick with my old shoes until after the 5k?

Replies

• alair1980
    alair1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not switching to a completely new brand of shoe you should be ok. If you're thinking of switching up shoe make/model I'd wait until after. You don't want to find out that it's the wrong kind of shoe and it hurt you and all of your training goes to waste.

It can be a treat for completing the 5km.
  • katieruns
    Options
    I would stick with your tried and trues for the race.... I think the gen rule of thumb is not to do anything different for the race that you aren't already used to... but maybe you can start breaking them in and see how you feel. But I think it takes about 50 miles. But we're all our own people.
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    From what I've read recently (Women's Fitness mag), your running shoes should feel comfy from when you try them on in the store. They shouldn't need real "breaking in". But, I agree with not changing up something right before a race, so maybe wait until after.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Depends. If the ones you have now are just not working for you then you may benefit from some new ones, which was the case for me. I just wasn't liking the ones I had, so went and got fitted at a running store, and from the very first run those shoes were perfect on my feet, not really needing any breaking in. However if the ones you're using now are working okay for you then maybe you should wait until after your race, to avoid potentials problems that may arise.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    When I bought new shoes I wasn't expecting any problems and ended up with the worlds biggest blisters! I'd stick to your old shoes and wear your new ones just for walking around in first.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    If it is a similar shoe a couple of short runs should have you ready to run in them by then, if it is a different shoe all together, you may want to get more wear into them or stick with your old ones.
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you are not suffering from soreness/injury (Like shin splints or something) from wearing your old shoes, then I'd wait until after.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd probably sick with the same shoes unless they are completely shot. Or maybe if it is the same style/brand then I would probably switch them out.
    When I first get new shoes I always wear them around the house for a day and run errands in them.