eating before or after excercising ???

Options
I have a question...fact or opinion... Is it better to eat breakfast before or after you workout?

Replies

• TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    If I workout first thing in the morning I eat after.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of opinion. Some people feel ill if they eat before they exercise. Some people feel ill if they DON'T eat before.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    not sure what we're SUPPOSED to do, but I eat after my workout because I hate to exercise on a full tummy.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I am a morning workout person and I never eat before workout. I always finsih my workout with a whey protein shake. There are varying opinions and reasons to eat before.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat breakfast after I've exercised but if I'm running in the afternoon I have no problem eating lunch before I go as long as I leave about an hour and a half in-between.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I need to eat before I exercise, other wise I get really dizzy and I feel sick and I can't eat at all.

End result: You just have to listen to what your body wants in the end. :)
  • KaySoFocused
    Options
    True...I felt ill this morning cause I didn't eat and was only able to run a mile. I felt nauseated and like I wanted to pass out.
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I go walking in the mornings and in order to feel energized I needa eat a little something so I'll have some fruit or something small then when Im done on my walk i'll eat a bigger breakfast! :smile:
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i work out in the mornings...and by the time im done its almost lunch...so i do both!
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It depends on how I feel. I try to leave at least an hour after eating something (2 hours if I've eaten a meal). Sometimes I feel fine exercising first thing in the morning but other times I know I need to eat first. You will know if you need to eat or not by how your body feels
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    I do a protein shake after.. trying to do certain excerise are cute when you have a full tummy
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Reports state you should exercise first and eat after.....but......you have to do what works best for you.

I only exercise first on Sat mornings but Mon - Fri I exercise (walk) just before dinner (so that is about 5-6 hours after lunch) and just before bedtime I do my cardio then have some water and my vitamins and hit the hay!

Just keep trying til you find what works for you!
  • megmarie
    Options
    I asked my trainer this question one time because I used to work out at 7 AM with him. He said the best thing is to eat a light snack about 30 minutes before your workout so that you start your metabolism and have more energy to get through your workout. Then, after your workout, eat a lean protein. Hope that helps!
  • chell1717
    Options
    I normally eat after i exercise but it dependson when u had eaten b4 and how long you are going to exercise...
  • jwaltz13
    Options
    I had the same question but according to the Dr. Oz show, he says you're supposed to workout first thing and eat after ...but if you need food to get started I'm sure your body knows best! :)
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Good question. I work out at about 7:00pm after I've eaten supper. This is the only time I can actually have an awesome workout and really do 100%. I've been told this is not good to workout after eating but this is what works for me. I guess if your putting in the effort and moving your body ,it's all good!
  • msmmrobinson
    Options
    My trainer says to do both...eat a fruit before and protein after.
  • thesweatybetty
    thesweatybetty Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i'm doing the bfl challenge and he recommends working out in a fasted state (empty stomach) then waiting an hour after your workout before you eat to really rev up your metabolism..
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I read a research paper on the debate of whether it is better to eat before you exercise or not. They said that for weight loss, you burn more fat if you do not eat first. However, it was noted that the intensity of exercise may decrease as a result. This was interesting to me because it seemed like the authors had a bias that it should be better to eat first. In any case, it really is a matter of what works for your body. I tend to prefer a light something, like a banana before and a breakfast shake or something similar after.

As for eating after, most of what I've read suggests that you should eat within two hours. I've read this regarding endurance cardio and weight lifting, however in these cases the goal was performance enhancement, not weight loss. For weight loss specifically, I don't know... but my real goal is to be a healthier, fitter version of myself, so I try to behave like I'm enhancing my performance :)
  • sxydva
    sxydva Posts: 1
    Options
    i try to eat a light snack before cause sometimes i get a headache and then i have a light dinner after