garden burger?

Options
Hi, I have never bought meat substitute items before. I imagine they taste yucky. I know alot of you eat them. I want to try some but I want opinions on the best tasting. I'm going grocery shopping tonight. If you have a favorite please voice it. Thanks a bunch, Cindy

Replies

• Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have never bought meat substitute items before. I imagine they taste yucky. I know alot of you eat them. I want to try some but I want opinions on the best tasting. I'm going grocery shopping tonight. If you have a favorite please voice it. Thanks a bunch, Cindy
  • sstones
    sstones Posts: 3
    Options
    I really like them. They are best grilled. Just don't think of it as a meat subtitute. Don't think of it as a hamburger at all. Its a garden burger and if you dont' pretend its a hamburger, you'll probably like it.
  • bj2007
    bj2007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like the tomato pesto/basil gardenburger but most of them are good. I do usually eat them in a sandwich rather than by themselves. However the Morningstar sausage pattie (maple flavor) is very good --- I have that with an egg in the mornings sometimes.
  • kmaug
    kmaug Posts: 23
    Options
    I love :love: :love: the boca spicy chicken pattys... yummy :) they are good!
  • FUNinTHEsun
    FUNinTHEsun Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Boca Grilled Vegetable!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    make your own, I have yet to find any in my taste that are 100% satisfying... There are several recipes on the web for this.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/veggieburgerrecipes/Vegetarian_Veggie_Burger_Recipes.htm

http://www.happycow.net/recipes_burgers.html

I know, the recipes sound strange, but they are great!!!!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Garden burgers are great. I would suggest cooking them in a skillet or on the grill, and not in the microwave. Boca burgers are good too, but in my opinion, they require more "stuff" on them to really taste great. The "chik'n" patties are quite tasty, but make them in the oven, again, no microwave. That way, they get nice and crispy. I sometimes cut these up and put them on a salad.

Some other good "meat-esque" items to try are...

Light Life Gimme Lean sausage style - comes in a tube like regular sausage meat. I've made "sausage" and biscuits with it, and put it in a veggie hash. I've also made little patties out of it and eaten them with waffles and strawberries.

Light Life Italian Style Sausage - I love this sauteed with peppers and onions over pasta. It browns up really nice and has a good, mild flavor. Probably one of my favorite comfort food dishes.

Tofurky Beer Brats - I tried these for the first time the other night, sauteed in a pan with a little sour kraut. They were pretty darn good! I think I'm going to try grilling one this week and putting it in a bun with spicy mustard and carmelized onions.

One to stay away from...
    Morning Star Farms veggie sausage links (the patties are good though) - the texture is all wrong on these, and they just don't cook up well.
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll let ya know what I buy tonight. Cindy
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    You know what, I was not into that either myself and I tried the Morningstar sausage patties that another person listed above (reg not maple for me too sweet - still same idea though) and loved them acftually more than turkey sausage now. With that said I tried us on the spicy bean burger and bf comments that it has to have meat...............lol
  • Dedicated
    Dedicated Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Morning Star Spicy Blackbean Burgers are AWESOME! My hubby loves them too!
  • LilWaterBug
    LilWaterBug Posts: 213
    Options
    Here are some of my favorites...

Boca Products:
    Flame Grilled Burgers, Crumbles for spaghetti or tacos, Lasagne, Spicy Black Bean Burger

Morning Star Farms
    Breakfast Patties, Chicken Patties (regular, not the Parmesan ones - didn't like those), Buffalo Wings, and my favorite...Corn Dogs! Makes me feel like a kid when I eat them! :tongue:

I tried the Tofurky Sausage once. I didn't care for it much. It had a funny spice to it. But taste buds change. Maybe I'll give it another try...
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    I ended up buying Garden Burgers. Dh grilled them. I put fat free cheese,pickles,onions,tomatoe and mustard on it. I also had it on a whole wheat bun. It was ok but I don't think I'll buy that kind again. I am determined to find one we like. I think I remember seing a mushroom burger. Has anyone had these? Are they made out of mushrooms only? Thanks, Cindy
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    this is the 5 best tasting veggie burgers...

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/guideproductpicks/tp/veggieburgers.htm
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    found this too, I'm going to make these, reviews were awesome!
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Veggie-Burgers/Reviews.aspx
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    morningstar chicken patties I get the parmesan ones ...Boca is poo lol
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Gimme Lean Sausage (not ground beef) is SO GOOD

Also, even though Boca Burgers are the best nutrition bang for the calorie, they aren't my favorite. The Boca Chicken Patties are really, really good, though. You can make a kind of fried-chicken salad. They are best if you fry them in a pan with a little oil, but you can also put them in the toaster oven to cut out more calories.

Also, if you go to a health food store like Whole Foods, look for Seitan, which is wheat gluten protein. It's almost pure protein - maybe 1 carb and almost no fat.
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    Grillers Prime are my favorite! :)
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. Garden Burgers are not good. I will keep trying to find something we like. Have a great day everyone. Cindy
  • salubritystatus
    Options
    My favorite is the morning star spicy black bean burger. It tastes like chili to me, so yummy!