Eating Late?

Options
So what's the deal with this? I've been told a bunch of different things.

'Its safe to eat before seven, no later.'

'Experts say that it's okay to eat up until 9pm'

'I eat most of my food at night, it's better for you!'

So all of this confuses me. Is it safe to eat late? And if so, how late? Does eating late at night really help your diet?

HELP!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Your body doesn't just shut off at night. Eat whenever is most convenient for you.

Only thing I would suggest is some people dont sleep as well if they ate right before bed. Some sleep great, like myself.
    As for calories? They are no different at 9 than they are at 3
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't just shut off at night. Eat whenever is most convenient for you.

Only thing I would suggest is some people dont sleep as well if they ate right before bed. Some sleep great, like myself.

^^this^^
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    People that work night shift, eat in the nighttime. I think they are 'safe'. Whatever works for you. Only way to know if it works for you is to experiment. I do know for a fact, you won't turn into a pumpkin if you eat after midnight.:tongue:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The reason they say don't eat late at night is that typically those that eat late consume more calories in a day. As long as you meed your MFP goal each day, the timing of the caloric intake will have little to no impact for weight loss. That being said eating at certain times might help keep you from binging and keep your energy levels more constant.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Your body will benefit from high protein meals at night, if you choose to eat late. Your body repairs itself and you are more likely to build muscle as you sleep. I do not believe that high fat/ high calorie meals would be recommended...I am not an expert, just sharing what I have read and adhere to
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    there is no arbitrary cut off time when eating suddenly becomes worse or better for you, net caloric balance governs weight loss
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

^^this^^

yup. Makes no difference as long as you stick to your calories.

The reason some people lose weight if they stop eating after 7 is becaue they are cutting out a bunch of late night calories they used to eat (like if you used to have a couple oreos every night before bed and you stop having them, you're eating less calories -- it has nothing to dowith the fact that you stopped eating at 7. )
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I once heard that if you eat popcorn or any starchy foods, it is harder to digest. So, if you eat late at night, then go to bed..You're stomach is still working to digest the foods while you sleep. With this said, you wake up tired because of your stomach was still working. Kinda makes sense of the reasoning not to eat after 7 pm.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing

•The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    •The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

Summary: Meal timing is irrelevant. Eat at midnight if you like, then go right to bed and sleep like a baby at night.
  • jadieee123
    Options
    Thanks for your advice guys, you've really cleared that up :) I felt stupid for asking, my thinking was that because you're not active on a night time, these calories will be the ones that settle as you're not being very active? Is this is the case?
  • jaramae
    jaramae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I hear confusing opinions too. I eat late. Its the way my body has learned to consume its food. The same way that some people function better in the evenings as opposed to the mornings. I don't know if its right but its what works for me. I'd rather allow myself the ability to eat late and avoid over eating or bingeing.

I think the general notion is that eating late is condusive to poor eating choices and over consumption of calories. I am of the belief that if you eat right and stay within your allotted daily limits, time of food consumption isn't a tremendously huge factor. Of course, its not advisable to eat something and then go straight to sleep.

I haven't plateaued yet but one of the things I plan to do should that happen is to reinforce an earlier dinner time. But until such time, my body is coping well with its schedule. Other people might suggest otherwise but its my tummy that's grumbling at 9pm that I have to deal with :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice guys, you've really cleared that up :) I felt stupid for asking, my thinking was that because you're not active on a night time, these calories will be the ones that settle as you're not being very active? Is this is the case?

No.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    People that work night shift, eat in the nighttime. I think they are 'safe'. Whatever works for you. Only way to know if it works for you is to experiment. I do know for a fact, you won't turn into a pumpkin if you eat after midnight.:tongue:

But people are up 8 hrs in the night working physically. There is a difference when it comes to eating and going to bed 2 hrs later, rather than staying up 8 hr nights.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    It was funny that you posted this...I was just planning out my dinner and realized that I'm not going to be able to come as close to goal as I wanted...was a little concerned about the snacks later on...

Thank you for posting and for all the advice ppl
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    just because you're going to sleep doesn't mean you're dying. your body goes through A LOT of involuntary processes all day.. yes after 7 pm too. your brain needs energy to even think about breathing. your body didn't create the man-made 24 hr clock.