The Sensational 6 - Time for a new resolution *CLOSED GROUP*

Options
Hello my sensational 6! I thought I'd go ahead and start our group thread. Our team is southerngirlspa, jellybean1971, allierae14, chocolattahottie, and dhetke4!

I thought we could start by sharing a little about ourselves. (nothing too personal of course! :wink: ) I am 22 years old. I didn't struggle with my weight until college. I have played sports all my life (soccer, cheerleading, swimming, softball) and have many injuries as a result, no cartilidge in my knee, a torn rotator cuff, a cracked hip. In college, after soccer season was done and I wasn't having a daily workout any longer, and eating the way college kids do, I put on 20 lbs. 2 years later, I started dating my wonderful man and put on another 20 lbs! Damn that happy weight! and then the weight just kept creeping on. My honey and I have been together 2 years this November and I am currently 50 lbs from goal. I started 2011 at 195 and am now down to 180. I want to be at 130 when all is said and done. All that extra weight means I have weight related health issues (PCOS, hormone imbalance, breast lumps) and the best way for my injuries and health problems to get better, is to loose the weight!! My loving boyfriend and his son are my biggest motivators. I want to be healthy for them, so that I live longer and can always participate in activites. I also want to do this for me. Because I owe it to myself to treat my body the way it should be treated. I am SO excited for this challenge!! Please share with me why you want to loose the weight!

Replies

• jellybean1971
    jellybean1971 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Crystal, I turned 40 this year. I never had a problem with my weight when I was younger I could eat and drink whatever I wanted but I ran every day. I loved the feeling of running it was empowering it seemed to give me strength to do anything, I use to be out the door at 5 AM just to do my run before work. Then I was in a horrible car accident which resulted in me being in bed for almost 2 years. My fiance stuck it out for 6 months before heading out the door never to be seen again. As soon as I could manage to, I moved away from the city and all of its emotional scars. Its amazing how comforting food can become, then I met my amazing husband and lost a few pounds but then 2 babies in my mid to late 30's resulted in a few extra pounds. I've tried to lose weight in the past couple years but never really stuck with it. This time it will be diffrent, I'm doing it for me. I don't think I'll run again but I want to feel that same power again. Glad you started this challenge, I weigh 205lbs and would love to be 180 by New Years for a new me.
  • jellybean1971
    Options
    I just friended everyone on our team, have a great day off to do the 30ds
  • allierae14
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I also suffered an injury that hindered my ability to exercise daily. I dislocated my knee and due to that I was up to almost 150lbs when I graduated high school (2007). Prior to my injury I was very active horseback riding and playing lacrosse. Now, I am down about 15lbs from my injury (over the course of 2007 until now), but still not to my preinjury weight. I would love to be back where I was before getting hurt, not only will I feel better but I know that for my knee it is best to be my "goal weight". This is also tough for me because making healthy food choices is not easy for me! I hope that I can help you and that you can help me get better at making choices and stop making excuses!
  • southerngirlspa
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm excited to be part of the group. This will be my first challenge on MFP as I just joined last week.

My name is Courtney and I am 38 years old. I have been "chunky" my whole life really. I grew up with a step-mom who hid food/eating and had really unhealthy eating habits and I think I developed some emotional eating tendencies. I was a decently healthy weight in my early 20s (i'm 5'4" and my lowest I can rememeber in my adult life is about 155) then had two children and piled on the pounds. After my daughter was born 11 years ago I went on a very strict crash diet and went from 230 to 160 within about 6 months. Then I had some personal things happen, got kind of depressed and ended up (almost) right back where I was before dieting. A few years ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and the medication that I take keeps me from metabolizing sugars properly so I saw my weight creep creep creep back up.

Now my daughter is 11 and dealing with her own body image. She is 5'4" and 160 (not a tiny girl) and Im trying to get healthy to help my health, help her see how to live healthily and do positive things to help her have a positive self image. I certainly do not want to pass my weight and food hang ups on to her. I would love to get off blood pressure meds, I would love for my knees to not hurt when I walk up stairs, Im very active with hobbies (photography and I plan some local music events) and I've started to notice how hard it is for me to keep up with them at my current weight. I need more energy!

Currently I am at 235 and I have a goal weight of 160. I eat a kind of modified South Beach type diet at my doctor's advice since my meds mess me with up even eating things like oatmeal and yogurt. My daughter is a vegetarian and I've started having lots of meat free days with her, which is better than I thought it would be. I'm also doing most of my exercising with my daughter and she has been loving the new time we spend together doing things like bike rides, yoga and walks.

Already I feel a big surge in my enegery levels and my desire to be fit. I'm just fed up of being the "fat girl" in the room and not being able to keep up. I figure every day that I have needs to be making a positive change, not wallowing in something that I have the capabilties to do something about. : )
  • chocolattahottie
    Options
    hey guys!

Happy to join you all. My highest weight was 175, I am now 155 and I am 15 pounds from my first goal, I may go as low as 135, but I need to see how 140 looks as that was a nice weight for me in the past.

Over the years from 18-23 I gained 5 pounds a year, and once I had my daughter my weight issues got out of control. During pregnancy I ate whatever I wanted and that didn't stop once I gave birth, it just intisified because of emotional eating.

I ramble, can't you tell? lol
  • Dandielles
    Dandielles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

My name is Danielle, and I'm 23 years old. I have been overweight for as long as I can possibly remember. I was an overweight toddler even, so I really don't think there was any time when I was considered to be at a healthy weight. Heavy runs in my family, so I always had sweets to eat. There was always desert after dinner, always cookies in the cookie jar, ice cream in the freezer....you get the idea. Plus, being the oldest (and first grandchild), no one said no to me. So, I was 190 lbs when I graduated high school. I did pretty good during my first year of college, but after that I got pregnant with my daughter and gained a total of 50 lbs. Once she was born i was at 230, but I've gained an additional 30 after that - bringing me up to my current weight of 260.

I've decided that enough is enough. I'm tired of being big. I'm tired of having to buy my jeans in the Plus section. I'm tired of pretending to look at a regular sized rack of clothes, when i'm really looking at what the plus size section has because I'm embarrased to be seen shopping plus sizes. I'm tired of deciding to have a candy bar in the checkout line in the store and wondering if people are giving me looks. I'm tired of not being able to run around outside and chase my daughter around without having to stop after 5 minutes.

So, that's the honest truth, and I'm a little sad when I read it over again, but it's motivation. I want to be small. I want to shop in the regular section of the store. And I want to play tag in the back yard with my daughter. There is no longer any excuse not to lose weight or eat healthier. I need to change my attitudes about food and why i'm eating when I do. (I'm a boredom eater.) And I want my daughter to be healthy and happy as she's growing up. I don't want her to pick up my habits.

In other words, I'm here and I'm ready!! Bring on the challenge!!! (Ps, my mother is in this challenge, on the Fearless 5 group, so we need to kick some butt!!)

Good luck to everyone and it's great to meet you all!!
    Danielle
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm so motivated after reading everyone's introductions! We all have a real driving reason as to why we want to do this. This weight loss journey is very physical and also emotional for me. It's so hard to feel confident in size 16's! I did grow up with a parent who was really overweight and I always told myself I would never let that happen to me, ever! I hit 195 and cried my eyes out. It's almost like it happened overnight for me, I really didn't notice I was putting weight on. I'm really big into cooking homemade food, and eating local fresh produce and meat. I personally don't go for the "low cal diet" food because I don't think it's good for your body. I recently watched documentaries on Netflix (food inc, supersize me...) and I've heard the horror stories about what processed foods and fast foods do to your body. (I'm not trying to push my agenda, just wanted to explain some of my personal goals!) So I'm done with fast food and soda. I want to focus on drinking more water, and excercising. I love to cook so I need to make sure I start cooking more at a time to have leftovers to grab for lunches. My plan is to have a plan! I want to plan my weeks during this challenge, to schedule workout time and meals. like Danielle, I REALLY want to buy "regular" clothes. Like Courtney and Chocolatahottie, I want to set a good example for my step son. Like Allison and Crystal I want to push through these injuries.
    We will have such a feeling of accomplishment when we do this. I'm so ready for the challenge to really start. I'm so happy I have a team that I can relate to.
  • KaciWood19
    Options
    Alright ladies, message me your weigh-ins!!
  • allierae14
    Options
    Hey girls!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend and doing their bests to keep things in check! I know it's not easy! I had a slight slip at lunch (milk shake) but went for a brisk walk on my lunch break to make up for it!
  • jellybean1971
    Options
    I've been in the kitchen all day so far, so no work out so far. The good news I have all the beets from my garden canned and pickled, all 40lbs this year. I'm making baby food for the week at the moment. Hopefully after that my little guy will have his nap and I can do my thing. Hope everyone is having a great day.
  • allierae14
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing! Make sure to try to do the daily challenges as it will help us get more points!
  • Dandielles
    Options
    Hi ladies!! Thought I'd stop in and give you guys a little update as to what's been going on here and why I haven't been on here at all lately...

So, Sunday night my computer broke. It took me a grand total of 50 minutes to pull up my internet screen, and just about as long if I tried to click on my Start menu!!! Bad news. It FINALLY got fixed today, so I'm happy again. But, as I'm a student, and all of my courses are online, I have missing assignments left and right. Meaning: I'm going to have to be a hermit for a while so I can catch back up.

On top of the computer issues, I have been battling the sinus-flu-cold that's been going around for about 3 weeks now. It was just sinuses, but this week it turned into the flu, and I'm living on tylenol and misery. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll have lost any weight from being sick because I've been skipping quite a few meals. Yesterday I missed lunch and it was about 12-13 hours in between any meal....or general food consumption for that matter. Not good. GrumbleGrumbleGrumble - I can't even lose weight when i'm SICK! - GrumbleGrumbleGrumble. Oh well, I'll be hitting the gym hard the next week though because 1) my daughter is going to be with her dad all next week, and 2) I will feel better by the end of the weekend or I will be stopping in to see the doctor.

So, that's the rundown. I'm back now, but still feeling miserable. I'm hoping they find someone to work for me tomorrow because I really don't want to get out of bed!!!

Danielle
  • jellybean1971
    Options
    Hope you feel bettter soon Danielle
  • southerngirlspa
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon!

I've been trying to get in those daily challenges! I need to get back to logging in some other daily exercise as well. We are in the process of selling/buying a house and it is taking up WAY too much of my time! :tongue:
  • allierae14
    Options
    Danielle feel better soon!
  • Dandielles
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm working on it!! Darn allergy season....and it doesn't help that my house is bordered on 2 sides by a field....and that both fields are directly overlooked by my bedroom window. Sigh....It can only get better.......oh wait, what's the next season??? Nevermind!!!!

Southerngirlspa - congrats on getting a new house! That's gotta be pretty exciting, albeit time consuming!!
  • KaciWood19
    Options
    haha Danielle, at least your flu hasn't stolen your sense of humor!

Crystal, I can alot too, its SO time consuming! I've never tried pickled beets though, send me the recipe!Also- I just saw on the news feed about the saw incident!! that sucks so bad. I hope your recovery is quick! As you are on crutches, I'm assuming no working out for a while??

Courtney, good luck selling! (and buying!) ugh and moving.... moving is my least favorite part!

Also, chocolattahottie is no longer in our group, she deactivated her account without even letting me know she was dropping out???
  • allierae14
    Options
    Hey Ladies!

Monday! Time for a new week, new goals and new challenges!!
    This weeks challenges:
    10/16 - plank for 1 minute!
    10/17 - 30 crunches
    10/18 - 30 jumping jacks
    10/19 - 20 minutes of cardio!
    10/20 - 25 squats
    10/21 - WEIGH IN! 10 tricep dips

Please try your hardest to complete them, I know being busy and all makes them hard, but almost all of them take less than a couple of minutes to complete! We can do this!
  • allierae14
    Options
    Good morning team!!!

Todays challenge: 10/26 35 crunches !
    You can do it!

Make sure you write if you did the challenge, this one take a very short amount of time so please make sure you find the time to do it!