Fall Harvest Soup! Zero Points Plus Points!

Options
jr1985
jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
Hey Guys!

I love fall, and part of the reason I love fall is all warm soup!

I just came up with this new fall favorite last night... and the best news is... for all of your weight watchers points plus people, it is zero points! I

Ingredients:
1 medium Butternut Squash cut in half, with the 'guts' scraped out. (If you like pumpkin, then you will love this!)
3 red poblano peppers with the tops and the seeds cut out
6 small gala apples cut and cored
1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
about 3 cups of water
curry powder and cinnamon to taste.

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees, spray a couple of cookie sheets and slow roast the Squash, apples and peppers for at least 2 hours, longer is ok. Turn the peppers and apples occasionally.

Scoop out all of the insides of the squash, and add all of the remaining ingredients, put all into either a blender of a food processor until you have a puree, add enough water for your desired thickness and cook in a crock pot for several hours. Voila! a taste of fall for zero points . Enjoy!

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    How many servings does this make? Sounds yummy, I want to figure out how many calories it has....
  • jr1985
    Options
    I'd say 6 large bowls... sorry I didn't figure out calorie count or portion size since it is points free... but looked like a lot... I'm sure it would be at least 6 large servings
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this! Soup's good any time of the year. Thanks!
  • jr1985
    Options
    How many servings does this make? Sounds yummy, I want to figure out how many calories it has....

Ok, I just figures up the nutritional information... if you divide it into 6 servings it would have 162 cal, 3g protein, 7g fiber and only 1g fat... if you include the calories, etc from ALL ingredients including the 'free' ingredients it is 3 points in the Weight Watchers old points per serving
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much - definitely going to try this one! Can't wait. I love all the soup recipes I'm finding on this board. We're eating the last of my turkey chili tonight, so I may have to cook this one up and have it ready for tomorrow night.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

Ok, I just figures up the nutritional information... if you divide it into 6 servings it would have 162 cal, 3g protein, 7g fiber and only 1g fat... if you include the calories, etc from ALL ingredients including the 'free' ingredients it is 3 points in the Weight Watchers old points per serving

Thank you so much for figuring that up!
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I attempted this last night...and I was SO CLOSE. But in typical doing things too fast mode, I mistook Cumin for Curry Powder and totally ruined it. I will attempt again soon for sure! I think I may roast the veggies at a higher temp to caramelize them some more, though. Thanks for posting!
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump! Perfect soup for the Fall...Thanks

Tracy
  • jr1985
    Options
    I attempted this last night...and I was SO CLOSE. But in typical doing things too fast mode, I mistook Cumin for Curry Powder and totally ruined it. I will attempt again soon for sure! I think I may roast the veggies at a higher temp to caramelize them some more, though. Thanks for posting!

Oh bummer I've done that before too :) Good idea to caramelize the veggies though :)
  • sueozzy
    sueozzy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I make a very similar one in the crockpot and cube the butternut squash and then in a crockpot, put the squash, cumin powder, salt, pepper, miscellaneous spices, some diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, and a couple peppers -- really whatever you want to toss in there! Add some chicken broth and cook all day. We eat a lot of lamb/goat and I will toss in the meat too. That butternut squash is so delicious and does have a hint of pumpkin taste. It is incredibly good and warming on a cold winters day!
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    b-yum-p