vegetarian & vegan recipes

Options
stefchica
stefchica Posts: 257 Member
I'm starting to venture on a vegetarian diet but i am always looking for new recipes! i also want to start cutting out as much dairy as possible, the vegan route is something i'm not familiar with so if anyone has any great vegan recips for ANY meal that would be much appreciated!!!!

tonight i'm making black bean burgers mmmm cant wait for that!

Replies

• anvacarz
    Options
    http://www.theppk.com/

I heart Isa! Her recipes are simple and very, very good. As far as daily eating, just imagine your fave thing to eat and then do it without dairy. Love pizza? Veggie pizza without cheese. Black bean tacos without cheese.

When I first went vegan, I did a lot of veggie stirfry, veggie pasta, couscous, etc. Experiment with wraps, pitas, etc. It's a lot of fun actually. Keeps you creative!
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gayle80
    gayle80 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just bought Isa's Appetite for Reduction - all the recipes are under 400 cals and completely vegan :) heard it was really good and going to try garlicky mushrooms and kale from there tonight :)
  • xhaller
    xhaller Posts: 95
    Options
    From WW, here's a Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili

It's for the crockpot. I have it cooking at my house right now :)

About the Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili
    This vegetarian chili will let you enjoy your holiday guests without spending too much time in the kitchen: Toss everything into the slow cooker and let it go until it's utterly irresistible. Better still, make it a day ahead and so the flavors can fully develop in the fridge overnight.

Serve with minced red onion, cilantro leaves, or even a little low-fat sour cream on the side to garnish the bowls. Want to add even more flavor? Crumble in 1/2 pound turkey sausage, casings removed, along with the other ingredients. (That'll increase the PointsPlus™ values to 5 per serving.)

Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili
    Makes 8 servingsPointsPlus® value | 4 per servingIngredients
    8 cups peeled, seeded, diced butternut squash (about 2 medium butternut squashes)
    1 large yellow onion, chopped
    1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
    2 (15-oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 (28-oz) can reduced-sodium diced tomatoes
    1 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
    2 Tbsp ground cumin
    2 Tbsp dried oregano
    2 Tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt
    Instructions
    1. Mix everything together in a 3-quart (or larger) slow cooker.

2. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until the squash is tender.

Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My favorite cookbook is vegan on the cheap
  • GT_Ginger
    Options
    I'm so glad there are other vegetarians on here! I went veggie about a year and a half ago and lost over twenty pounds without even trying. Now I just need to lose the weight I gained from being lazy this summer and drinking too much beer! I love trying new things from the vegetarian section in the grocery store. Yves Veggie ground round is such an awesome hamburger substitute you can fool almost anyone. I am not vegan but i do try to limit my intake of eggs and dairy. The best thing is how much better I feel now.
  • thirdtime
    Options
    Hi,

A few sites I use :
    http://veganyumyum.com/
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

Good luck!
  • The Veganomicon is great, it has every kind of recipe. But, it's going to be better if you're already someone who cooks, as most of the recipes require a bit of preparation. Also go to vegweb.com, they have everything. Best of luck :)
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    i have a bunch on my blog.

joy.lewis4life.org
  • katexcarr
    Options
    I have been vegetarian since I was 6 (17 years) and so I've learned a thing or two about ways to make it easier, especially when dining out, which is when i have the hardest time.

Don't know how long you've been at it, but here's some pretty basic tips:
    -If you live in a decent sized city, there are bound to be at least a few at least primarily vegetarian/vegan restaurants. Try them out! You'll have somewhere to suggest for meals out where you will have a variety of choices, instead of being stuck with just one mediocre choice; this will make the transition easier! Also, you can get ideas for recipes to make at home.
    -The best go-to cuisines, in my opinion, are Indian, Italian, Mexican, and various Asian cuisines. You can make it all easily at home, as well as find a ton of stuff in restaurants. Meat can easily be replaced by veg and beans or even tofu or cheese and without compromising taste or satisfaction. Also, in the case of stir-fries or curries, you can make up big batches and freeze them in pre-portioned containers.
    -In terms of fake meats, I think Morning Star is the best, at least in the "ground beef" arena.

I don't really even remember eating meat and I don't miss it, so I don't really know how to deal with cravings, but I have never dated a man who was vegetarian and they've all said that they don't feel as if their diets are lacking, eating my cooking without meat, so it's definitely do-able!

Good luck on your journey! Add me and I'm happy to help you out!-Kate x
  • katexcarr
    Options
    The Veganomicon is great, it has every kind of recipe. But, it's going to be better if you're already someone who cooks, as most of the recipes require a bit of preparation. Also go to vegweb.com, they have everything. Best of luck :)

If you don't cook, pick up a cookbook aimed at vegetarian college kids. They have really good and REALLY easy recipes that can be done with moderate amounts of ingredients, equipment, and time!
  • xyzena
    xyzena Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and these are usually where I get my other recipes other than MFP!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/search?keyword=Vegetarian
    http://happyherbivore.com/recipes/
    http://fatfreevegan.com/
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    great, thank you everyone!