Couch 2 5K

Options
I want to do some proper Exercise like running/jogging but i am rather unfit and have only ever done exercise on my Wii Fit etc I found a programme called Couch 2 5K and was just wondering has anyone attempted doing this? if so have you had good results?
thanks
Gemma

Replies

• peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I Just started it, just did day 2 this morning, so I can't say how week 9 will be, and can't gauge much on 2 days.. but so far I like it.

Lots of beginners to C25k in this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/356279-c25k-beginners-challenge-join-now
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's an amazing program! You will be running for 20 minutes straight in 5 weeks from starting. I never thought I'd run in my life, the first week I could barely run the 60 seconds they asked for, now I'm doing a 5k in 2 weeks and plan on running the whole thing! Good luck!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I started it and loved it! I found a c25k podcast on itunes that has upbeat music and tells you when to walk/run and it was awesome!

I made it to running about 30 mins but then I got back into the lazy rut and have since just been doing my own thing, but C25k really gave me the motivation to ease into the whole exercise thing. It makes it easy to start running (okay as easy as running can be).

I say go for it!
  • Jones4177
    Jones4177 Posts: 136
    Options
    I tried it but ended up stopping. Not because I didn't like it, it was all me lol. I may try it again. I'm going to do our Mini-Marathon again in May and need to get started
  • Lesley2800
    Options
    I just finished week 1 and I love it! I am doing it on the treadmill, but plan to get outside as well. And trust me, I am totally out of shape. I can already feel myself getting stronger. Good luck!!
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I did it this summer, and now I'm training for a 10k! It definitey works!
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes, do it!!!! I got the app for my phone and just use that to run. The first week, I was struggling to run 60 seconds at a time. I just did Week 5 Day 2 today and was able to run 8 minutes straight twice in a row without too much difficulty. The run one day-rest one day cycle is a really good idea, and the interval training is great. I will recommend this program to anybody that stands still long enough to listen. :) You can definitely do this!! :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    On week 9 here, it's a GREAT program, absolutely. The pace is pretty reasonable, the main thing is to stretch before and after your runs and give yourself the much needed rest days.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 of the 9 week version. I am coming back into running after taking a year off due to a knee injury and am finding it to be just the right level of advancement for me.

If you are overweight or have never run before, there is a more conservative 7 month program. You could start in the middle if you feel like it's too easy.
  • princessstokoe
    Options
    I've just downloaded the programme on to my Ipod....... just need the motivation to go out in the cold weather and do it!
    I will do it because i'm fed up of feeling stuck in a rut and getting bored with my old exercise routines.
    thanks guys and gals! x x x
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Be warned...running is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE! I have a hard time taking my rest days.
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    Go for it. It's a fantastic programme. I couldn't run 20 yards 6 months ago without just about colapsing, I can do more than 5k straight now. I'm not a fast runner by any means but that will probably come in time. If somebody told me 6 months ago when I was 14 stone (2 and a half stone gone now) that i wouldbe regularly running, i would have laughed, but i found the c25k and thought it wouldn't do any harm to give it a go. I was always the one saying "I can't run", well I can and and you will too.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    It's a great programme, do it! I started in July and have just finished. I couldn't run more the a minute at the beginning and now I can do 30 mins. You can get apps for your phone which tell you when to run and when to walk ( sorry just saw you already downloaded a podcast).