Black Pepper

Options
I have read people saying that pepper can be bad when dieting. I'm not sure why, for I always heard that it can boost your metabolism. What is your knowledge or experience with putting black pepper on your food? I put it on everything practically and I'm wondering if I'm doing harm.

Replies

• EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i put it on everything and i've never had a problem. i've never heard that pepper is a problem!
  • bddavis1
    Options
    I hope I dont find out it is a problem, I eat a ton of it...
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that the problem some folks have with pepper is that it can make things taste better and they probably think "dieting" should never taste good. I put pepper on a lot of stuff and have lost 44 lbs so far. I suggest you don't worry about little stuff like that. Just watch your intake (calories and types of food) and exercise. You will lose the weight and become more fit.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I love pepper! ...So very verrrrrrrry much. Please say this isn't so!... :P
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I have an allergy to black pepper, so I avoid it. Never heard much about it for dieting one way or the other. I have heard that capsaicin (found in red pepper) can help with dieting.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor that it is good for you. So I put it on everything!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I use pepper on many foods I eat and this is the first I'm hearing about it being a problem. Won't stop me though :tongue:
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Oh good! I really haven't experienced any weight gain because of it but I've wondered why some people discouraged it...more out of curiousity than anything.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    heard pepper help burn fat....
  • SunLove8
    Options

I've goggled it and researched it, although I appreciate your link regardless. I was just curious why I have read people commenting that black pepper isn't good for you because I haven't seen any scientific reason why it would be bad for someone. I remember one guy that had lost a lot of weight, got some great muscles going on and he had said not to eat black pepper when people asked him about his success. I've heard other say this as well...
  • SunLove8
    Options

Me too!
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options

Heard this about hot peppers but not black pepper, I also can confirm that eating lots of pepper doesn't seem to have slowed my weight loss.
  • aj_rock
    Options

I've goggled it and researched it, although I appreciate your link regardless. I was just curious why I have read people commenting that black pepper isn't good for you because I haven't seen any scientific reason why it would be bad for someone. I remember one guy that had lost a lot of weight, got some great muscles going on and he had said not to eat black pepper when people asked him about his success. I've heard other say this as well...

Anecdotal evidence is TERRIBLE for helping people get into shape. For example, no one can argue that Mike 'the sitch' isn't in great shape, but I doubt his methadologies for getting in shape would work for everyone.

Maybe this guy found it important to cut black pepper for whatever reason. The only downside I see to black pepper is a mild carcinogen that is outweighed by the anti-oxidant and thermogenic effects.

As such, I most sincerely recommend that you do not simply 'do what successful people do', but listen to the research and facts. Anecdotes more often than not have 10 bajillion other reasons why they do or do not fail, and thinking that a diet can work/not work based on the consumption of black pepper... seems silly doesn't it? :P
  • SunLove8
    Options

Anecdotal evidence is TERRIBLE for helping people get into shape. For example, no one can argue that Mike 'the sitch' isn't in great shape, but I doubt his methadologies for getting in shape would work for everyone.

Maybe this guy found it important to cut black pepper for whatever reason. The only downside I see to black pepper is a mild carcinogen that is outweighed by the anti-oxidant and thermogenic effects.

As such, I most sincerely recommend that you do not simply 'do what successful people do', but listen to the research and facts. Anecdotes more often than not have 10 bajillion other reasons why they do or do not fail, and thinking that a diet can work/not work based on the consumption of black pepper... seems silly doesn't it? :P

I don't recall ever posting that I "simply do what successful people do" or that I am "thinking that a diet can work/not work based on the consumption of black pepper". Why do you seem so worked up about something I am curious about? Seems silly doesn't it?
  • aj_rock
    Options
    Haha I'm not worked up, I just tend to get a little wordy :P