Has anyone here run a marathon?

Options
Has anyone here run a marathon? I am thinking of running one in May. Is that nuts? How long does it take to train? Should I try a half marathon first? This is something I really want to do, and I want to do GOOD. Not just finish the race, but actually place well, too. I'm competitive like that. Any advice?
I'm female, and in my mid 20's.

EDIT:
I can run about 4 miles, in about 10-12 mins each mile. I've started running about two weeks ago, so I only have about 7 months till the marathon. Should I do a half marathon instead?

Replies

• glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Eventually I would like to run one. However, right now my only marathon running is to the refrigerator before the commercials are over.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Eventually I would like to run one. However, right now my only marathon running is to the refrigerator before the commercials are over.
    You need a DVR, bud...or is this how you get your exercise? *wink*
  • emlavigne
    emlavigne Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'll be running my first marathon next year at the Marine Corps Marathon. Jeff Galloway has written a ton of info on the marathon topic and has a good training plan. Google him and you'll find some good info. My marathon plan is 4 months long, and is assuming that I can only run 4 miles when I start it. Best of luck!

p.s. It's not necessary to race a half first, but it's a good confidence builder. I've done three 13.1's over the last 7 years, and each one was a learning experience.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you already have a good running base (10-15 miles per week average) then you should be able to train for a marathon in 16-18 weeks. I ran my first one this may and am training for my second in December. Check out Hal Higdon's training plans.
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    I'm training for my first half marathon in January, and would like to do one eventually (my husband has run two so far, and is already slated to run two more within a year).

I'd recommend checking this out about deciding whether you are ready:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-13763-0,00.html

You are supposed to have been running at least a year, and most training programs are 18 weeks leading up to the marathon.

Happy running!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half Marathon Sept 11. If you've never ran a marathon b4 I would suggest running a 5k or half first. The experience exhilarating but can be intimidating if you are running with thousands of runners.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    you don't say how much running you can do now. I don't think May is too soon. I have not run a marathon, I did couch to 5k (10 weeks) and then Gateway to 8k (also 10 weeks), then I started a half-marathon training plan, Hal-Higdens, it was 12 weeks, so that's about 7 months there. But then I decided running is boring and I don't like it:tongue:
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I can run about 4 miles, in about 10-12 mins each mile. But I've only started running about two weeks ago, so I only have about 7 months till the marathon. Should I do a half marathon instead?
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I can run about 4 miles, in about 10-12 mins each mile. But I've only started running about two weeks ago, so I only have about 7 months till the marathon. Should I do a half marathon instead?

That is my average speed. When I did the half i began pooping out at mile 10. You should try on your own running 6-8 miles and that should help you to determine whether you should start with a half or full.

Good luck and have fun!
  • xaintes
    Options

I would recommend doing a half marathon in the spring, and then aiming for a marathon next fall. The main reason to give yourself a year of running is to limit the amount of damage you do to your body. It's not that you can't physically do it.

You not only greatly increase your risk of injury, but you can also damage your heart and and knees if you haven't had the proper training.

Here's an article about the heart damage without proper training:
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/25/news/la-heb-marathon-heart-20101025
    (there's more if you google it)

Another good article about preparing for your first marathon:
    http://www.hillrunner.com/articles/article.php/first_marathon
  • emlavigne
    emlavigne Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Should I do a half marathon instead?

Don't sell yourself short. 7 months is a lot of time to prepare. Spend the next three months slowly building up your mileage and then start your marathon training program. Forget about the time goal and focus on finishing. You might just surprise yourself.

p.s. I say this with the idea in mind that you will be mindful of how you are feeling after your long runs. If you feel an injury coming on, be smart and back off the mileage for a week or so. If you try to build your mileage too fast, then you're at risk for injury.
  • xaintes
    Options

Don't sell yourself short. 7 months is a lot of time to prepare. Spend the next three months slowly building up your mileage and then start your marathon training program. Forget about the time goal and focus on finishing. You might just surprise yourself.

p.s. I say this with the idea in mind that you will be mindful of how you are feeling after your long runs. If you feel an injury coming on, be smart and back off the mileage for a week or so. If you try to build your mileage too fast, then you're at risk for injury.

I wouldn't say that settling on a half marathon is selling yourself short... A marathon can be really dangerous for you if you haven't been running long enough. It's never a question of whether a person can run 26.2 miles after only 7 months of training, it's a matter of whether a person can do so healthily while minimizing injury. I say this because I don't want the OP to think that doing a half marathon instead of a full in the spring is a sign of weakness or inability to run the distance.
  • drzrider61
    Options
    I am training for a full marathon in December. I have ran 3 half-marathons in the past two years. For me I know it was important to have the half-marathons behind me before I attempt the full. I am using Hal Higdon Novice Marathan Training Guide. I did 16 miles last weekend, but I still have work to do before 26.2 miles.

IMHO I would do a half first. There are many races to run. You can always do a full at a later date.
  • Improvised
    Options
    Hmm. Maybe I will do a half marathon next April/May. If everything goes according to plan, I will probably be pregnant next summer, so I was hoping to do the full, but maybe I'll make that a goal for late 2013, or early 2014. I reeeeally want to do a full marathon, but I also don't want to set myself up for failure.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    If you already have a good running base (10-15 miles per week average) then you should be able to train for a marathon in 16-18 weeks. I ran my first one this may and am training for my second in December. Check out Hal Higdon's training plans.

This ^^

I ran my first half on Sunday and am building up to run a full marathon. I read Hal Higdon's book before running my half. I want to have another half under my belt before training for a full marathon.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options

No, set your goal big. If you're healthy, you can run a marathon. Get educated, don't miss your long runs, eat well, listen to your body in terms of injuries and you can do it.

A marathon is much more about willpower, dedication and discipline than it is about initial fitness level. Anyone who is in good general health can do a marathon. It will hurt, it will be a challenge, but it will also be one of the most memorable days of your life when you cross that finish line. Trust me. Start researching today. Pick a race. Sign up for it. Continue to build your base until your 18-20 weeks out. Follow a plan closely. Go do it. Stop thinking about it. Commit to doing something only a fraction of percent of people will ever do.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say that settling on a half marathon is selling yourself short... A marathon can be really dangerous for you if you haven't been running long enough. It's never a question of whether a person can run 26.2 miles after only 7 months of training, it's a matter of whether a person can do so healthily while minimizing injury. I say this because I don't want the OP to think that doing a half marathon instead of a full in the spring is a sign of weakness or inability to run the distance.

If you are healthy, do NOT sell yourself short. Run the 26.2. You will hear a million reasons why NOT to do it. There are few people who will dare to take on the challenge. Be one of them. Stop reading posts right now. If your doc says you have nothing wrong with you, forget the naysayers and get out there and start building that base.
  • Improvised
    Options
    Thanks, FitForeverAgain. I think I will. Why not? I am healthy and strong, and it's something I really want to do.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I have run 2 marathons and I would say if you are planning on having a baby next summer try to do the marathon before the baby! My first marathon was Boston and I did run it 8 mos after having my daughter, but I had been running for a few years prior to that and had done a 1/2. THe last one I did was Walt Disney WOrld this past January which was a blast!!
    You def. have time to train for the marathon since its not til next spring, but check out some training plans. I recommend either Galloway or check out runners world magazine, they have a website with training plans. I would also recommend start doing some races in the upcoming months to prepare. Make sur eyou dont increase mileage too quickly or you could get injured.!
    Good luck!
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options

You not only greatly increase your risk of injury, but you can also damage your heart and and knees if you haven't had the proper training.

Here's an article about the heart damage without proper training:
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/25/news/la-heb-marathon-heart-20101025
    (there's more if you google it)

This article is junk. This poster is not talking about going out there and training over a 2 month period. She's got 6-7 months before a race in the spring and that is PLENTY of time to appropriately train for a full 26.2 and be healthy.